Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by Nemoide »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have now beaten four of the nine Dragon Quest games released in North America (i.e., I, III, IV, and IX), and I may try to get through more of them next year. Unfortunately, II is next on my list, and I have not heard good things about that game.

I'd say II and VII are skippable. You need to play V, VI, and VIII though.

II is skipabble. While the first three games are a kind of trilogy, it takes place last and is therefore PRETTY IRRELEVANT to the third one. Plus it's not a good game.

I totally disagree about VII. I thought it was a great game for anyone who likess the DQ-formula and is willing to stick with a game for a long time.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Dragon Quest (Warrior) was my first RPG and also my first RPG completion. I wasn't used to grinding at all until I realized I needed much better equipment than a club and leather armor :lol: I watched a video last week where it showed an ending you could get without saving the princess. But thou must, you say? Heck no!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Platinums/100% Achievements:

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - Vita
Guacamelee - PSN (including all DLC trophies)
Shinovi Versus - Vita
Hotline Miami - PSN
Mark of the Ninja - 360
Puppeteer

Games Beaten:

1. Thomas Was Alone - PC
2. Sam & Max Save the World - The whole season - PC, GOG versions
3. Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space - The whole season - PC, GOG versions
4. Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 1 - PC, GOG version
5. Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 2 - PC, GOG version
6. Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 3 - PC, GOG version
7. The Walking Dead Series - PC
8. Sly Thieves in Time - PS3
9. Guacamelee - PS3
10. Castlevania: Mirror of Fate - 3DS
11. Resident Evil Revelation - 3DS
12. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - 3DS
13. Samurai Warriors Chronicles -3DS
14. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - Vita
15. Shinovi Versus - Vita
16. Fire Emblem Awakening - 3DS
17. Dokuro - Vita
18. Nun Attack - Vita
19. Hotline Miami - Vita
20. Bloodrayne Betrayal - PS3
21. Fist Puncher - PC (DRM free from Desura)
22. Deadpool - 360
23. Dragon's Crown - Vita
24. Charlie Murder
25. Ducktales Remastered - PS3
26. Puppeteer - PS3 exclusive
27. Foul Play - Xbox 360 version
28. Killer is Dead - Xbox 360
29. Bulletstorm - 360
30. Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate
31. Batman Arkham Origins - PS3
32. Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus - PS3
33. Stick it to the Man - PS 3
34. Tearaway - PS 3

*New - Contrast (PS 4) - New*

I found this to be a decent little puzzle/platformer. It has an intriguing story, though some questions never get answered unfortunately. This is one of those games that kind of leaves things to interpretation, though finding all the collectibles helps to provide some more clues so it's actually worth it to find them. The game's graphics aren't amazing on a technical level, but it has a style that I like and the way in which it uses light and shadows keeps things visually interesting. The voice acting is pretty good and what little music there is works. The gamplay is solid, though a bit rough around the edges in some parts. I did encounter occasional little bugs and glitches, but nothing that seriously impeded me. The puzzles are mostly easy, but they get a bit more interesting as you near the end of the game

This isn't one of the best puzzle/platformers I've ever played, but I don't really understand some of the rather harsh reviews it has received. It's a decent, inoffensive little game that was good enough to keep me playing it until the end. I think one could do far worse than having this game and Resogun be their first introductions to digital only PSN games on the PS 4
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Games Beaten 2013
1. BF3(PC)
2. Driver San Fransisco(PC)
3. Inversion(PC)
4. Xcom Enemy Unknown(PC)
5. Lord of the Rings War In the North(PC)
6. Deponia(PC)
7. Medal of Honor(PC)
8. Medal of Honor: Warfigther(PC) AKA Door Breach SIM 2012
9. Kingdom Hearts(PS2) 5/26/13
10. Where's Waldo(NES) 6/2/13
11. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3(360) 6/16/13
12. Airlock(Atari 2600) 6/20/13
13. Adventure(Atari 2600) 7/1/13
14. Eco Fighters(PSP Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded) 7/5/13
15. The Last of Us(PS3) 7/10/13
16. Bioshock Infinite(PS3) 7/19/13
17. Star Ocean First Departure(PSP) 8/8/13
18. Bionic Commando(PSP Capcom Classics Collection Remixed) 8/8/13
19. Captain Commando(PSP Capcom Classics Collection Remixed) 8/12/13
20. Vanquish(360) 9/6/13
21. Quantum Theory(360) 9/8/13
22. Dead Island(PC) 10/25/13
23. Mars Matrix(MAME) 10/27/13
24. Battlefield 4(PC)
25. Saint's Row 4(PC)
26. Tomb Raider(2013)(PC) 12/8/13
27. Game Dev. Tycoon(PC)

Really enjoyed this game just wish it had more depth. Was fairly addictive and I played the game plus mode at the end for an additional 3-4 hours. Hopefully there will be some expansions to the game or a more in depth sequel. Main thing that bugged me was a lack of hardware limitations on what games you could make. In other words you could develop a game fit for current gen systems and release it on the game boy without any issues :P.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Eco Fighters (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)

What a fun shmup.

I didn't enjoy the rotating arm gimmick at first but it grew on me. Though I did screw up and rotate it the wrong way occasionally. And by occasionally I mean frequently.

Will certainly play this one again next year.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

@Luke: RE: Bioshock Infinite

BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Nemoide wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have now beaten four of the nine Dragon Quest games released in North America (i.e., I, III, IV, and IX), and I may try to get through more of them next year. Unfortunately, II is next on my list, and I have not heard good things about that game.

I'd say II and VII are skippable. You need to play V, VI, and VIII though.

II is skipabble. While the first three games are a kind of trilogy, it takes place last and is therefore PRETTY IRRELEVANT to the third one. Plus it's not a good game.

I totally disagree about VII. I thought it was a great game for anyone who likess the DQ-formula and is willing to stick with a game for a long time.

I played all 4 of the NES Dragon Warriors as a kid. And DW IV was the most memorable one, IMO. But it's been a LONG time. So if replayed them now as an adult, that opinion might change.

I remember how big and epic it seemed to play each individual character's solo-story first, and then play them together in your party to save the world after you had beaten their individual stories. It was pretty complex stuff for an NES RPG storyline.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
First half of 2013:
6/1 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 3 - The Oracle (PC)
6/5 Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
6/2 Bioshock Infinite (PC)
6/3 Hotline Miami (Vita)
6/10 Kentucky Route Zero: Act II (PC)
6/14 The Walking Dead: 400 Days (PC)
6/14 New Super Mario Bros. U (WiiU)
6/23 The Swapper (PC)
6/24 A Dark Room (PC)
8/16 Icarus Proudbottom: Teaches Typing (PC)
9/2 The Last of Us (PS3)
9/6 Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
9/10 inFamous 2 (PS3)

Games Beaten = 34
DLC = 1

Good night, I've not updated this for over 10 games!! I need to keep up with this, as the longer it goes, the more daunting it becomes to update. This is likely my last update for the year, looks like I bested my number of games beaten last year by 2! Some of these I'm just not gonna do proper justice to in my write-up, so if you have any specific questions about a title, let me know.

9/20 Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS)
If you've not played this series, I'm not sure what to tell you at this point. Layton games are puzzle games with a fun story and anime cutscenes. This one is no different on the 3DS, the graphics are a touch better and you can turn on 3D. They tried to do something with layering, but nothing felt new or unique. I recommend it if you want more Professor Layton.

9/27 Rayman Legends (Vita)
Gorgeous game (especially on the Vita's screen), great, fast-paced platforming and a fun musical take on rhythmic platforming. In the end though, I was disappointed with the length, it seemed they tried to artifically plump it up with redone levels from Origins and they didn't carry over one of the fun collectible bits from the Origins Vita version, where you found items by finding them hidden in the environment and you had to touch them. You had little audio cues to find them and it was really well done, they should've kept that. All-in-all, it is a must play title for platforming fans, but if you haven't played Origins, play that first.

10/19 Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
One of the first Mario games in a long time to actively hold my interest throughout. It's sort of a 2.75D platformer that kind of ends up being sort of a Galaxy (3D-ness) meets NSMB (gameplay) meets Super Mario Bros 3 (aesthetic). There's a ton of fun and unique stuff they do with the camera and hiding star coins. In my opinion this game doesn't truly open up and be super fun and challenging until you've beaten it and are on the Special Stages. Also, if you're not going for the Star coins it isn't going to be as fun either. Great game.

11/2 Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
This game will be on my list of GotY for sure. Beautiful game, beautiful story-telling. The gameplay is really unique, you play as two brothers and each brother is assigned an analog stick and trigger on a controller. The way you have to get them to work together by using these simple mechanics really lends itself to making the characters have personality and driving home the story. It's this year's Journey and while it doesn't achieve that lofty goal, it's pretty darn close.

11/12 Halo 4 (360)
I don't know why it took me so long to actually sit down and beat this game, because it is everything I love about Halo and then adds some story and narrative between the main characters that just doesn't exist in other Halo games. 343 has really stepped up and owned this game and they had some really big shoes to fill and they did it. Really looking forward to Halo 5 and a continuation of the current plot.

11/12 The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1 - Faith (PS3)
Man this game just draws you in from the title screen. Seriously, I could just go on and on about the title screen and the music and the aesthetic, but I'll try not too. Basically this is just an iteration of The Walking Dead, with some tweaks to gameplay and inventory and some interesting style choices built around choice (for major decisions). If you're in the camp that think choice doesn't matter in these games, that will still irk you. I however, am not one of those individuals and feel that choice is huge in these games. This ends on a bit of a cliffhanger and I was irate to find out that this was going to be sharing a release schedule with The Walking Dead Season 2...

11/20 Megami Quest (PC)
http://shimage.net/megamiquest/en.html

Another browser game, fun little diversion.

11/23 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Finally got around to rectifying the mistake of never beating this game!!! I orginally bought and played this when it first came out for the N64 and got stuck in the water temple, like-ya-do, and moved on when I got frustrated and never looked back. Fast-forward a long ass time and they've improved the water temple and this time I had no issue! I had to look up some other stuff that I probably didn't have any issue with the first time, but whatever. They've done a remaster or whatever on the graphics and gameplay this game really holds up. Music is beautifully scored, love the Gerudo theme so much. I've only really played/beaten this and Wind Waker as far as 3D Zeldas go and they're just magical. Loved every minute.

12/1 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
It was a little strange to play this back-to-back with OoT, but kinda cool in other ways. This is a sequel to Link to the Past and it felt like something I should've gotten on the SNES when I was a kid. The musical score is the strongest in any Zelda I've played, it pulls from LttP, Ocarina, Zelda II, Zelda, I'm sure there's more. Gameplay is super tight and the 3D is the best out of any 3DS game I've played. I loved the new renting mechanic and how you could go just about anywhere. Tutorial section was small and I felt like I was playing really quickly. I played this ridiculously quickly less than a week, which is nuts for me. Enjoyed it immensely.

12/7 Ryse: Son of Rome (XB1)
My first next-gen game beaten! I don't quite understand the hate this game gets. Visually gorgeous, it is the best next-gen looking game I've seen yet, Crytek is doing some crazy stuff with this game. There's a section with a giant, Roman naval battle that is insane and the water tech there is mind-blowing. This also has the best facial tech and models I've ever seen. Looks really good and somehow manages to avoid the uncanny valley. The gameplay is pretty simple, but it's viceral and just fun. The kills change depending on where you are in the environment (ie. you'll hold a guy down under water if you're near it or 300-style boot someone off a castle wall) and it gets challenging toward the end, with tougher enemies. They also did a really fun thing with phalanxes where you have to march forward in a line and hold your shield and advance. Just felt really, really good. The co-op gladiator stuff is quite fun too, but it gets a little boring after a few matches and is best played in short stints.

12/24 Titan Souls (PC)
http://clawmark.itch.io/titan-souls

A game created for Ludum Dare 28, whose guiding principal was "You Only Have One" or something to that effect. Titan is kinda of like Shadow of the Colossus meets Sword & Sworcery. It doesn't take long to beat, but it sticks with you, definitely check it out if you have 15 minutes or so.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Stark wrote:
12/24 Titan Souls (PC)

A game created for Ludum Dare 28, whose guiding principal was "You Only Have One" or something to that effect. Titan is kinda of like Shadow of the Colossus meets Sword & Sworcery. It doesn't take long to beat, but it sticks with you, definitely check it out if you have 15 minutes or so.

this looks awesome but I need to set it up to use a controller. :\
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
Stark wrote:
12/24 Titan Souls (PC)

this looks awesome but I need to set it up to use a controller. :\

I'll look into this before the year is out - looks sweet!