Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by dsheinem »

I didn't find that tearing/jumping around to be problematic...and questions about it were answered by the end. I think they needed a section in the game illustrating the idea of "infinite possibilities" and think that doing it around a specific mission/plot point was fine.

I'll concur with you on the cover art, but I would rather them compromise there than in the game creation itself. Nothing in the game feels like they were "checking boxes". I think your problem is that you are comparing the final product to ideas from earlier builds. There are many many reasons ideas get scrapped over the course of making a game, but I don't see any real evidence that "market presence" is one that drove Infinite's creators to change things up along the way...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Gamerforlife wrote:
So it sounds like you like the story and aesthetics and don't mind the gameplay being so so. That doesn't sound like a 10/10 game to me.

I find the gameplay in Infinite to be much better than so-so, and there is some innovation in the way the AI companion interacts with you during combat, but there's nothing here that is revolutionary or especially fascinating from a gameplay perspective. If the gameplay was merely so-so or "ok", it wouldn't be a 10/10. It is very good gameplay with minor innovation married to a compelling aesthetic and a well-told story.

Gamerforlife wrote:
I think my concept of what is an amazing game just differs greatly from the majority of the gaming industry and maybe even the gaming community in general. People get blown away by stuff that is just run of the mill to me and I see brilliance in some games that other people seem oblivious to. Perhaps, I very much AM the niche gamer.

That's why I think I take issue with your "general rule" about avoiding hyped games as vacuous experiences that bring little or nothing to the table. It might be a good "general rule" for a particular kind of niche gamer, but that's quite the suggestion to make to anyone/everyone (especially when you yourself don't apply it to all IPs/devs equally ;)).
Raiiban
24-bit

Post by Raiiban »

dsheinem wrote:I think your problem is that you are comparing the final product to ideas from earlier builds.

That's exactly my problem actually, summed up in one sentance, if the game wasn't made and presented to look and feel so much better than it ended up being I probably wouldn't be as disappointed with the end product. I think it was an alright game but I was expecting something akin to the level of their earlier showcases, not the lesser product that was delivered. Perhaps I'm a victim of hype marketing or perhaps they were just being deceitful by showing much better gameplay than they were capable of delivering.

Even if all the information about the game I was given was perfectly accurate to the final product that I played through right now, I would still say it was average in my enjoyment of it. Pending of course if I would have played it at all which I may have not if I knew I was only going to get this. Maybe I wouldn't be as disappointed though, comparing what it is to what is was/could have been like I've been doing.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

1. Batman Genesis
2. Golden Axe Sega CD
3. Streets if Rage Sega CD (I'm keeping the typo)
4. Streets of Rage 2 Genesis
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES
6. TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan Gameboy
7. TMNT 2 The Arcade Game NES
8. TMNT Hyperstone Heist Genesis
9. Call of Duty Black Ops 360
10. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis
11. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Genesis
12. Sonic CD Sega CD
13. Kung-Fu NES
14. Mega Man 2 NES
15. Out of This World SNES
16. Flashback SNES
17. Altered Beast Genesis
18. Pit-Fighter Genesis
19. Aladdin Genesis
20. Aladdin SNES
21. Ghosts n' Goblins NES, twice
22. Contra NES
23. Bionic Commando NES
24. Strider NES
25. Batman NES
26. Duck Tales NES
27. Ninja Gaiden NES x 2
28. Super Mario Bros. 3 NES
29. Lakers Vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs Genesis
30. Jackal NES
31. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! NES
32. Bayou Billy NES
33. Skate or Die NES
34. Captain Skyhawk NES
35. Super Mario Bros. NES
36. Friday The 13th NES
37. Totally Rad NES *new*

The entire time I couldn't stop thinking how much Jake looks like Pauly D. from Jersey Shore.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Luke wrote:37. Totally Rad NES *new*

The entire time I couldn't stop thinking how much Jake looks like Pauly D. from Jersey Shore.

Now that you've finished Totally Rad, check out this site that shows all the crazy localization Jaleco did to our version. This wasn't the only game they butchered for America.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

ExedExes wrote:This wasn't the only game they butchered for America.

I definitely prefer the US version. The American version is called Totally Rad, and the cut-scenes provide just that, yes?

It's forced cheesy dialogue, which I find hilarious. The appeal of the game for me is how ridiculous it is, and it certainly delivers.
Ack

Post by Ack »

So Luke, what happened to Battletoads?
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Ack wrote:So Luke, what happened to Battletoads?

Battletoads is on the back burner. I'm a bit burnt out on tough as nails games right now. One of the reasons I've temporarily given up on it is that when I checked wikipedia to see how many levels are in the game, I noticed I wasn't even half way to completing it.

Not waving a white flag yet, but for now I'm moving on to games that don't raise my blood pressure.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Luke wrote:

Battletoads is on the back burner. I'm a bit burnt out on tough as nails games right now. One of the reasons I've temporarily given up on it is that when I checked wikipedia to see how many levels are in the game, I noticed I wasn't even half way to completing it.

Not waving a white flag yet, but for now I'm moving on to games that don't raise my blood pressure.

I can understand that. You've already beaten DuckTales, so might I recommend Rescue Rangers for a bit?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Luke wrote:

Battletoads is a good game, but if it had (a) unlimited continues and (b) a password feature, it might have been the best game on the NES.

I find it mind-boggling that Rare would design this great game with fantastic graphics and incredibly fun, varied stages...but then make the so difficult that the vast majority of the people who played it never got to see even 1/2 of its genius.

Luke: When you go back to it, be sure to use the extra lives code to make the game marginally less difficult and be sure to hit the warps on Level 4 and Level 6.