Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:40 am

Nintendo just threw over 250 DSiWare games into the abyss without warning. Emulation is the only option now, and when I tried to get a DSiWare game to work (Four Swords) it didn't at all. Maybe some more effort will be put into them now that they're the only way to play them? And then Nintendo is gonna be pissed off when people emulate them.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:35 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:Nintendo just threw over 250 DSiWare games into the abyss without warning. Emulation is the only option now, and when I tried to get a DSiWare game to work (Four Swords) it didn't at all. Maybe some more effort will be put into them now that they're the only way to play them? And then Nintendo is gonna be pissed off when people emulate them.

This is why I have been so into physical releases lately. I know in many cases a physical option is not always possible but that is why I absolutely have come to love stuff like limited run games recently.

Emulation is great too of course, the only issue is that not everything gets emulated, 20 years later we still don't have a functioning original xbox emulator, which is just nuts to me.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:35 pm

Been thinking of getting a DSi or 2DS and installing Twilight Menu for a while. The DSiware compatibility is very high now from what I read. Good occasion to add another handheld to the collection.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:09 am

I was thinking, I imagined learning how to make games then putting the effort for a year or two into making it and once its released you get bad reviews and criticism. Man...the feeling must really suck.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:02 am

RCBH928 wrote:I was thinking, I imagined learning how to make games then putting the effort for a year or two into making it and once its released you get bad reviews and criticism. Man...the feeling must really suck.

It is the same with any creative medium.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:50 pm

Also, anything you want to do, someone on the internet has already done it and better.

My Sale Thread - PRICES REDUCED! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:27 am

marurun wrote:It is the same with any creative medium.

I don't know, making a game needs a lot of science, art, and technological challenges. Seems to me shooting a movie, for example, is much easier and fun than staring at a monitor writing code for the past 16 months. Plus other mediums, I am guessing, doesn't need work to port meanwhile in games you have to readjust the code or whatever to make it work on this computer or that console.

Also sometimes I feel it sucks that the developers had an idea but due to time restrictions or funding they just couldn't get around to it, and now everyone is making fun of their game and they are thinking to themselves "It wasn't supposed to be like this...this was not it"

Ziggy587 wrote:Also, anything you want to do, someone on the internet has already done it and better.

Ain't that the truth :lol: I always wanted to be that "someone" who done it better...just one time
marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:41 am

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:It is the same with any creative medium.

I don't know, making a game needs a lot of science, art, and technological challenges. Seems to me shooting a movie, for example, is much easier and fun than staring at a monitor writing code for the past 16 months.

You have clearly never tried to write and publish a novel. I know several people who have (successfully, even). It is probably the most soul-crushing creative experience one can have.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:01 pm

I’ve been involved in both filming and editing video and I can tell you for sure that whilst it can be fun, it still mostly involves staring repetitively at the same stuff for some time. It also requires a level of technical expertise fairly equivalent to programming
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:27 pm

As it turns out, work is always going to be work.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming