Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by PretentiousHipster Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:13 pm

It's weird cause the wii came out around the same time but it already seems too late for it. I think the same happened with the gamecube though and now the games for it are so expensive.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:35 pm

isiolia wrote:While focusing on any particular platform could have resulted in a more polished product out of the gate, PC seems to be the logical one for Cyberpunk to have gone for. Once it was doing well there, scaling down for consoles could be done - not like CDPR can't do that. They made a Switch port for the The Witcher III after all. It was probably just too much to try and do all at once.

I always wanted to know the PC sales numbers, I always believed they were much smaller than consoles since a gaming PC is much more expensive than a console. I always felt its a side business for developers. There was a time when PC seemed abandoned, I think it was between 2000 and 2005.

o.pwuaioc wrote:
I was watching a little about Cyberpunk saga unfold, and I gotta say, there were way too many people complaining that the game got pushed back and wanted it released ASAP, bugs be damned. Devs even got death threats. What kind of pathetic sack of shit sends death threats over a game? Only the biggest fucking losers, that's for sure. But sure, so the game comes out, most people on PC say it's just fine, bugs but that's normal with huge games. Only the consoles players say everything has gone to hell. Well, now CDPR is giving them a refund, so what's to complain about anymore?

I honestly enjoy watching Day 1 buyers get pissed at buggy games. If you didn't want a buggy game, don't buy it on day 1. This shit has been going on for decades, so they only have themselves to blame for such idiocy.

I don't mean to hate on people but I really feel like people who buy games on day 1 are brats. I have seen people get the game even before the official release date. Whats the hurry for? Its just a game and there is a sea of great games out there. I am a little bit more forgiving on Cyberpunk 2077 since it presents something new over the usual formula I think so its just a little bit more understandable especially for people who were waiting to get it 6 months ago.

I can't believe CDPR refunded them, I don't think they are a large publisher/developer so a small hit can really hurt them. They published like what? 5 games Cyberpunk 2077 was such a huge undertake for them I think.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:38 pm

Syndicate wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:I think it might be a generation thing. Get the PS3 and 360 games now while no one cares about their value since everyone either donates them, or parents sell them for cheap when their kids move out. In a few years their prices will just going up.

...this, though I wish I paid more attention to this earlier on. I'm taking advantage of it now though, picking up 360 and even now XB1 and PS4 as the next gen stuff continues to roll out.

I have a feeling that xbox 360 library won't be worth much in the future. I don't know why, maybe since most of the games were on PC and were ported to later platforms. For a console that was hugely popular in its time, it sure does not have the cult following of the playstation or Nintendo.
Lurkei

by Lurkei Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:56 pm

RCBH928 wrote:I don't mean to hate on people but I really feel like people who buy games on day 1 are brats. I have seen people get the game even before the official release date. Whats the hurry for? Its just a game and there is a sea of great games out there.

People who buy games day 1 are usually just in it for the social experience. As in, it doesn't matter how good or bad the game is, as long as they can talk about it with their friends and/or people online. Same reason why seasonal anime is popular even though most longtime watchers agree only a few good shows come out every year.

It's basically a really expensive theme park ride
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:13 am

isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:48 am

RCBH928 wrote:I always wanted to know the PC sales numbers, I always believed they were much smaller than consoles since a gaming PC is much more expensive than a console. I always felt its a side business for developers. There was a time when PC seemed abandoned, I think it was between 2000 and 2005.

PC sales have tended to be pretty strong. The catch is that the platform shifted to digital sales a lot sooner than consoles, and generally speaking, platforms like Steam don't share sales numbers. Alongside that trend, retail space for PC games shrunk dramatically. At first, in a (mostly) good way, as software packaging shrunk to smaller boxes and clamshell cases, but with more and more people just buying software downloads, stores had less and less reason to allocate shelf space to PC games.

There was a general shift to prioritizing console versions as well. At the very least, solidified by 7th gen, maybe making the 6th gen window you mentioned more of a transitional period. Additionally, I think most would point at Half-Life 2 as heralding the shift to digital, as it required Steam, and that came out in 2004.
That said, 2006/2007 and on did see more things that were essentially ported to PC rather than from it.

Still, for CDPR... a somewhat recent financial report gave lifetime Witcher III sales by platform, with relevant bits presented here by Gamespot.
Essentially, on release, PC was second to PS4 for sales, but across the life of the game PC is the top selling platform.

Cyberpunk had about a 60/40 split for digital preorders, PC to console... and those sales alone covered cost of development.

RCBH928 wrote:I have a feeling that xbox 360 library won't be worth much in the future. I don't know why, maybe since most of the games were on PC and were ported to later platforms. For a console that was hugely popular in its time, it sure does not have the cult following of the playstation or Nintendo.

Most libraries aren't going to be universally valuable, and for as much as stuff like various Halo games may never be worth much, neither are comparable PS3 games. On the other hand, for instance, the 360 had a niche as a SHMUP console, and a number of those have spiked up in value already. Not that buying games as investments is really a great idea either way, in general.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:45 pm

o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:58 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:The apex of the Cyberpunk mess

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/17/221 ... nds-policy

This is the buried context:

Sony’s move comes just days after Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt Red said people unsatisfied with their purchase on the PS4 or Xbox One should request a refund. Yet due to Sony’s stringent refund policy, many who bought digital versions of the game from the PlayStation Store were unable to get refunds. (Players who bought the Xbox One version of the game have reported better luck with Microsoft’s more generous refund policy.)

Sony's finally getting on board with what CDPR already wanted. It highlights Sony's intransigence more than anything.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:03 pm

Seems like it got removed from the store too though. I don't think CDPR mentioned wanting Sony to do that?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:56 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:Seems like it got removed from the store too though. I don't think CDPR mentioned wanting Sony to do that?

It might have been, but even if not, it's for the best. Let the PC users have their game and the PS4 owners can get a patched version in February. And if a console user really wanted to play it, they can get a physical copy still.
Return to General Gaming