Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Ack Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:37 pm

RCBH928 wrote:videogame trailers without gameplay should be illegal

I don't mind it for an initial announcement, but yeah, I do prefer seeing gameplay in video game trailers.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
marurun

by marurun Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:39 pm

Ack wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:videogame trailers without gameplay should be illegal

I don't mind it for an initial announcement, but yeah, I do prefer seeing gameplay in video game trailers.

But it’s pre-rendered for your pleasure.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:59 am

The total mess of Cyberpunk 2077 makes me glad I don't really follow newer games.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:49 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:The total mess of Cyberpunk 2077 makes me glad I don't really follow newer games.

Only really a total mess on consoles. The PC version seems fine enough as it is, and is getting improved at a faster pace. Gonna be a graphics benchmark for a good time to come I think.

It probably should just have been a PC-first game, but then that would have been a whole other thing...
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:15 pm

isiolia wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:The total mess of Cyberpunk 2077 makes me glad I don't really follow newer games.

Only really a total mess on consoles. The PC version seems fine enough as it is, and is getting improved at a faster pace. Gonna be a graphics benchmark for a good time to come I think.

It probably should just have been a PC-first game, but then that would have been a whole other thing...

Not really. The Witcher was and still is PC only, and The Witcher 2 was PC first. And it's not like there's no recent precedent; Gears Tactics was on PC only for a year before it saw an Xbox release last month. It should be been only PC first. Period.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:59 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Not really. The Witcher was and still is PC only, and The Witcher 2 was PC first. And it's not like there's no recent precedent; Gears Tactics was on PC only for a year before it saw an Xbox release last month. It should be been only PC first. Period.

If they announced it as such from the start, absolutely, few would have a problem. If they'd taken stock of the state of it last month and just announced it was coming to consoles sometime next year though, that likely would have garnered some complaints.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:56 pm

This is the way of everything now, first product releases are the betas. Always wait for the later models. Gone is the Japanese electric engineering of the 80s & 90s. The good thing with high speed internet, they do fix software with continuous patches.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
isiolia wrote:

Not really. The Witcher was and still is PC only, and The Witcher 2 was PC first. And it's not like there's no recent precedent; Gears Tactics was on PC only for a year before it saw an Xbox release last month. It should be been only PC first. Period.

Why should it be PC first or PC only? If anything, PC should be more troublesome since the hardware and maybe software is a random combination. I don't get way those corporates give release dates when they can't deliver, C2077 was already delayed. Just make a game and sleep on it, a year before its ready to release announce it.

I personally do not have an issue with this because GTA V is still on my backlog :lol:
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:25 am

RCBH928 wrote:

This is the way of everything now, first product releases are the betas. Always wait for the later models. Gone is the Japanese electric engineering of the 80s & 90s. The good thing with high speed internet, they do fix software with continuous patches.

I was watching a little about Cyberpunk saga unfold, and I gotta say, there were way too many people complaining that the game got pushed back and wanted it released ASAP, bugs be damned. Devs even got death threats. What kind of pathetic sack of shit sends death threats over a game? Only the biggest fucking losers, that's for sure. But sure, so the game comes out, most people on PC say it's just fine, bugs but that's normal with huge games. Only the consoles players say everything has gone to hell. Well, now CDPR is giving them a refund, so what's to complain about anymore?

I honestly enjoy watching Day 1 buyers get pissed at buggy games. If you didn't want a buggy game, don't buy it on day 1. This shit has been going on for decades, so they only have themselves to blame for such idiocy.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:01 am

RCBH928 wrote:Why should it be PC first or PC only? If anything, PC should be more troublesome since the hardware and maybe software is a random combination. I don't get way those corporates give release dates when they can't deliver, C2077 was already delayed. Just make a game and sleep on it, a year before its ready to release announce it.

The notion towards PC only is because that's how it's essentially built already. It's not a game designed around last-gen console specs, with some extra settings tacked on for more powerful setups. Rather, Cyberpunk is built for current and future hardware, with the option to scale down. On PC, that's fine, even desirable, provided the game isn't hindered by poor optimization. It's how a lot of PC games used to be, before 7th gen (particularly). While the sheer variety in hardware setups can be troublesome, it's also offset by PC games often having a lot more options to toggle.
Essentially, having a big game come out and crush older hardware, forcing people to make compromises in settings, is more expected on PC. It can be the sort of thing that drives upgrade cycles and/or makes that game the first thing people fire up on a new rig.

Additionally, PC games can be more readily patched. Aside from it being a more normal and expected practice on the platform, there's not the same level of certification and all that goes on.

While focusing on any particular platform could have resulted in a more polished product out of the gate, PC seems to be the logical one for Cyberpunk to have gone for. Once it was doing well there, scaling down for consoles could be done - not like CDPR can't do that. They made a Switch port for the The Witcher III after all. It was probably just too much to try and do all at once.
Syndicate
16-bit

by Syndicate Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:48 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:I think it might be a generation thing. Get the PS3 and 360 games now while no one cares about their value since everyone either donates them, or parents sell them for cheap when their kids move out. In a few years their prices will just going up.

...this, though I wish I paid more attention to this earlier on. I'm taking advantage of it now though, picking up 360 and even now XB1 and PS4 as the next gen stuff continues to roll out.
Return to General Gaming