Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by PretentiousHipster Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:27 am

Anyone else watch this series? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxg89rGlP0s

A guy starts with $10 and uses that money to build a video game collection from thrift stores and facebook marketplace. It seems like he has too many once in a lifetime opportunities, but the way he films it shows that they're legit.

It might be a different situation for him though because it's Little Rock, Arkansas, and I saw that the population is drastically less in my city. I remember buying some PS1 and Wii games from someone who lives near me and he said he quit and is selling his entire collection because the retro collecting competition here is too fierce.

Might as well ask this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a thread for it. Anyone else have once in a lifetime opportunities from buying stuff?

I had 3 of them. Once was going to the thrift store chain here (called Value Village, not Goodwill) and they had a bunch of big box PC games for $5 CAD or $4 USD. Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Desperados, and Neverwinter Nights. It still had all the ads in it, and Neverwinter Nights still had a cloth map.

Also got an NES on ebay for $70 CAD or $53 USD. It had the console, 2 controllers, the gun, 2 copies of mario bros + duck hunt, contra, and the first 2 zelda entries.

The last one was in kijiji. 70 Xbox 360 and OG Xbox for $140 CAD or $107 USD. It had KOTOR and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth which are both quite valuable. and is worth like a little more than half of what I spent. I felt bad getting them though because she said she forced her husband to sell some of his collection which was always a pet peeve of mine.

I might go video hunting again after I'm vaccinated and Alberta is starting that on the 16th so Ontario will probably start it around the same time.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:48 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:Anyone else watch this series? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxg89rGlP0s

A guy starts with $10 and uses that money to build a video game collection from thrift stores and facebook marketplace. It seems like he has too many once in a lifetime opportunities, but the way he films it shows that they're legit.

It might be a different situation for him though because it's Little Rock, Arkansas, and I saw that the population is drastically less in my city. I remember buying some PS1 and Wii games from someone who lives near me and he said he quit and is selling his entire collection because the retro collecting competition here is too fierce.

About 10-12 years ago scoring cheap retro games easy going anywhere from $1-20. Fast forward to today and gaming culture has changed, game collection and showing off on YouTube raised the prices. Also ebayers who think they have a rarity would sell CIB/sealed for $100, so that raised the price for used ones or cart only. If new goes for $100 then surely used can go for $30 is the logic.

Although it was cheaper I doubt anyone can build that collection for free or just $10. I would believe if he made it for $5-20 each item. The real good stuff you find from people off-loading their older "junk" not knowing its real worth specially in huge numbers. The question is, do you feel bad buying a $40 Neo-Geo from an naive old lady when you know its worth $400? The other source of good deals is find a cheapo "not-working" thing for $2-5 then it appears to be a simple fix and suddenly its worth $50-100 because it works.

There other reason I don't believe is that there are people now that make a living doing this, hunting for bargains and selling it for more online so they are scavenging everything. The ironic part is that they are sharing these methods online and then more people join the bandwagon tightening the chance of finding a good deal and raising prices.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:58 pm

I think it might be a generation thing. Get the PS3 and 360 games now while no one cares about their value since everyone either donates them, or parents sell them for cheap when their kids move out. In a few years their prices will just going up.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:14 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:I think it might be a generation thing. Get the PS3 and 360 games now while no one cares about their value since everyone either donates them, or parents sell them for cheap when their kids move out. In a few years their prices will just going up.

+1

You buy the previous gen. It’s too late to start collecting older games, I’ve been collecting for over 20 years, and that’s always been my strategy. (Still, I was able to build a solid collection of 2600 and NES games.)
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:54 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:+1
You buy the previous gen. It’s too late to start collecting older games, I’ve been collecting for over 20 years, and that’s always been my strategy. (Still, I was able to build a solid collection of 2600 and NES games.)

How much do you estimate your collection is worth? Are you buying out of hobby or for investment?

PretentiousHipster wrote:I think it might be a generation thing. Get the PS3 and 360 games now while no one cares about their value since everyone either donates them, or parents sell them for cheap when their kids move out. In a few years their prices will just going up.

The funny thing about antiques are for some reasons things increase in price while others are not worth much anything. I remember that guy from Pawn Stars telling people this is not worth anything, keep it because it only has sentimental value to you.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:24 pm

RCBH928 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:+1

How much do you estimate your collection is worth? Are you buying out of hobby or for investment?

I really don’t know how much it’s worth. I have A LOT of games. I have several hundred for more popular systems, like the 2600 and NES, and I’m closing in on complete sets for systems with smaller libraries, like the 7800 and Sega Master System.

My collection is 100% a hobby. I have no intention of selling it or realizing any sort of financial gain. I just really enjoy perusing it, exploring new-to-me games, replaying old ones, etc. I also like hunting for games whenever I go somewhere. Haven’t gotten to do much of that in 2020, however.
Ack

by Ack Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:37 pm

I have my collection insured for $10k, if it helps.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:56 pm

Mine is covered under my homeowner’s policy up to $50k. I am not sure it’s worth that much, though. That’s just a standard amount of coverage through my insurer.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:58 pm

A lot of games on smartphones have out of style art. This one looks like DS shovelware from early 2000s.
Attachments
jsdfds2.jpg
jsdfds2.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:40 pm

videogame trailers without gameplay should be illegal
Return to General Gaming