Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by MrPopo Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:38 pm

You don't have to do nearly as much manually as you did back in the day. Like, if you boot up Unity you get things like physics and collision detection for free. You can drag and drop a bunch of 3D shapes and have a thing sitting on top of other things very quickly. Then there's a lot of tweaking to get things right, but it's not the same as the old old days where you had to manage all that stuff yourself.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 am

I don't know, browsing the internet I stumbled on a game I never heard of called Code Vein. Its true I am out of touch on modern games but we got to a level where a "triple A" title gets released and I have no idea, meanwhile youtube suggested I watch a review of The Surge 2. Another "triple A" I never heard of. Made me wonder if releasing big games like these became so easy that it just goes by me unnoticed. Back like in 1998 clear uncut attention was given to big titles coming for consoles. No way you won't hear of OoT or Silent Hill.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:58 pm

I feel like the various Soulslikes like The Surge 2 and Code Vein are more "AA" or whatever you want to call mid-tier big publisher titles. They have a more niche audience and a much smaller budget than the big AAA releases.
Syndicate
8-bit

by Syndicate Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:I feel like the various Soulslikes like The Surge 2 and Code Vein are more "AA" or whatever you want to call mid-tier big publisher titles. They have a more niche audience and a much smaller budget than the big AAA releases.

...this, games like the Surge games and Code Vein get a small push but it's nothing like the budgets AAA releases like CoD or Assassin's Creed have.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:39 am

Gunstar Green wrote:I feel like the various Soulslikes like The Surge 2 and Code Vein are more "AA" or whatever you want to call mid-tier big publisher titles. They have a more niche audience and a much smaller budget than the big AAA releases.

I understand what you are saying, but looking at the games it seems like they had all the resources and money put into just as much as Triple A games. If we look at a triple A one like Dark Souls, I just don't see where Dark Souls had to spend much more money on it to be Triple A. I can see how Hello Neighbor is lower budget but not Code Vein. In an interview they said they worked on it 5 years, although I am not sure if thats 5 years on the back burner or focused development.
marurun

by marurun Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:23 pm

I'm not sure I'd consider the first Dark Souls AAA, exactly. Maybe Dark Souls 3, but probably not. If you look at the truly AAA blockbusters like Call of Duty, Halo, Assassin's Creed, these titles have quite ridiculous development costs associated with them. They HAVE to sell massively just to break even. Square's Final Fantasy titles are notorious for their associated costs. AAA games are such that they can sell millions and still be considered a failure.

I think Wikipedia sums things up well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:12 pm

I guess I was using the term Triple A wrong. I use it to describe a full fledge game with pro budget which fits games like DMC and WWE 2K. Now I know its the biggest budgets/releases.

Something that caught my eye in that wiki article is that FF7 had the biggest budget ever of game... on a JRPG?! Thats some serious risk, were JRPGs that big? I smell Sony being involved in this to break the Nintendo/Sega image as the JRPG consoles.

A guy on Reddit posted that he has worked 7 years on an indie game called Noita that looks very simple graphics wise. He mentioned they created their own game engine.

Some people commitment amazes me. I wonder if they are hoping to become the next $1 billion sale after Minecraft.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:06 pm

I haven't played Noita myself, but my friend swears how good it is. Also, might be hard to believe, but some people commit to projects because they actually want to see it work and believe in what they're doing, not because they cynically want to be Minecraft 2.0.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:52 am

I understand, but do you realize how long 7 years working on the same thing, and of all things, a videogame? I can't imagine starting when I am 33 and by the time I reach 40 I would say "Finally...done".

I looked up the game a little bit and it seems like its doing something I always wanted to see and that is to point the computer power towards implementing a more life-like interaction with the environment over better and more realistic graphics.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:06 am

RCBH928 wrote:I understand, but do you realize how long 7 years working on the same thing, and of all things, a videogame? I can't imagine starting when I am 33 and by the time I reach 40 I would say "Finally...done".

I looked up the game a little bit and it seems like its doing something I always wanted to see and that is to point the computer power towards implementing a more life-like interaction with the environment over better and more realistic graphics.

You must not know very many PhDs. :lol:
Return to General Gaming