Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by PresidentLeever Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:53 am

Losing stray fairy progress, quest items and ammo kinda sucks but you can keep rupees if you save them at the bank in town. It feels a bit like roguelite games.

The AVGN review is mostly spot on, though I would say the game has more interesting dungeons and movement abilities than OoT and if you care about sidequests, there's a lot of them.

IIRC, the 3DS version makes time travel more flexible so you can try that one if you don't like this aspect on N64 (try it in emulation).
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
opa
64-bit

by opa Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:21 am

Since when does anyone quit mid-dungeon? If I know I don't have time to play a Zelda dungeon in its entirety, I just save and quit before hand.

Majora's Mask's difficulty is really overblown. Most tasks are simple enough to do in one attempt and most of your expendable inventory items can be recovered in two seconds from the bushes outside the town. Is it harder than OoT? Yeah, but only because you have to actually pay attention.
NotLuke
16-bit

by NotLuke Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:17 am

I own THPS for the Playstation, and Tony Hawk 2x for the OXBOX. Having played the new remaster, I see no reason to purchase it.
The game doesn't even neigh at the person who loses Horse.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:08 pm

RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:36 am

opa wrote:Since when does anyone quit mid-dungeon? If I know I don't have time to play a Zelda dungeon in its entirety, I just save and quit before hand.

Majora's Mask's difficulty is really overblown. Most tasks are simple enough to do in one attempt and most of your expendable inventory items can be recovered in two seconds from the bushes outside the town. Is it harder than OoT? Yeah, but only because you have to actually pay attention.

Ziggy587 wrote:The entire game is built around that 3-day cycle. AVGN probably makes it sound horrible, because that's what AVGN does. Watch a proper review of the game before you decide to write it off or not.

I don't remember being able to save in a dungeon in any of the Zelda games I've played.

You might not be able to save in dungeon, but there is no timer so you can take your time instead of panicking of having to do it all over again=frustration. What happens if you complete a dungeon but you do not save then the timer runs out?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:30 am

RCBH928 wrote:
opa wrote:Since when does anyone quit mid-dungeon? If I know I don't have time to play a Zelda dungeon in its entirety, I just save and quit before hand.

Ziggy587 wrote:The entire game is built around that 3-day cycle. AVGN probably makes it sound horrible, because that's what AVGN does. Watch a proper review of the game before you decide to write it off or not.

I don't remember being able to save in a dungeon in any of the Zelda games I've played.

You might not be able to save in dungeon, but there is no timer so you can take your time instead of panicking of having to do it all over again=frustration. What happens if you complete a dungeon but you do not save then the timer runs out?

You manually play a song to reset the timer, and it’s saves when you do so. Of the timer runs out it’s game over. It’s also very, very obviously displayed on screen and there’s absolutely no chance it will ever accidentally run out on you. The game displays an obvious countdown, the music becomes super ominous duri the last few hours in game, and there’s earthquakes and other signifiers too.

Maybe try playing the games instead of theorising about how frustrating it is. As many have said, the timer is not nearly as frustrating as you might think. You keep all significant items and have ways to save rupees between resets too. Any other items lost like arrows and bombs are super easily restocked by cutting grass.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:47 am

Alright, I guess I will check it out... I liked the creepy/Tim Burton like theme implemented by it.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:46 pm

There's a new idea going around that *the* way to fix YLOD on FAT PS3s is to change some of the capacitors out for better quality ones. I wonder if this is true- I've been looking for a way to get a BC PS3 that won't fry on me some day. Especially considering how much they cost nowadays. I really want that to be true, because my super slim is collecting dust because I never use it. If I had one that played PS2 discs however...

Plus, PS3 can play video files burned to a disc without authoring. AKA, playing HD quality files off of a DVD. Its my main use for it now.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:43 am

you know a game guide is good if it has an ASCII art logo
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:06 am

So I was expecting Tomb Raider to be an action game with some platforming, turned out to be a puzzle platformer with some action. Its like a 3D Prince of Persia. While I am not a fan of puzzles or platforming something makes me want to continue to play. I really like how the developers maximised their imagination on taking advantage of the 3D capability compared to the still mainstream 2D.

I wanted to see the perspective of it at time of release and from Gamespot's review:
-Tomb Raider combines slick graphics with a fantastically agile character and an excellent story

One thing I noticed about reviews from that era people didn't really favour or were WOWed by 3D, all they care about is if the game fun or not. 2D or 3D does not matter.
Return to General Gaming