Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Ziggy587 Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:45 pm

Note wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Ziggy. I appreciate the detailed information about the issues with the control stick and the Z button. Both sound like pretty serious issues, the control stick might be manageable but I'm not sure about that Z button issue, seems like a really bad design choice. I'm in the midst of a Perfect Dark playthrough, and would like to replay Goldeneye 007 and Doom 64 too -- I feel like the Z button problem would affect all these games. Star Fox 64 is also one of my go to's on the system.

So people also have this same issue with the triggers on Xbox One controllers, and there's a mod that people do to get rid of the throw that it has so it just feels like a click. They drill a small hold in it, and put a small bolt with a nut through it so it prevents you from pressing the trigger all the way down. You might have to add a spacer or something inside so that it registers the button press with the shorter throw distance. Or I guess depending on the construction maybe you don't need the stop on the outside of the trigger, you can just get away with a spacer on the inside which would also act as a stop. Anyway, I had thought about doing this to my Brawler 64 controller which would make it decent alternative to OEM. If you're interested in this, I think they mostly call it "trigger stop mod". You can find videos on YouTube.

I kind of glossed over a point in my review and mostly went on about the Z button, but, the Brawler 64 is a very comfortable controller!

Note wrote:I have 4 controllers from back in the day, and three of them have pretty rough joysticks (most likely from hours and hours of Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, and Goldeneye). One of them is in good shape though, so I'd like to use it sparingly and try to keep that one in the best shape as possible. What type of lubrication product do you use on the controller? And do you have to take the controller apart to administer it properly?

Any kind of common lithium grease should do, pretty much anything that's a lubricant of some kind. To be honest, I used 3-In-One on at least one of my N64 joysticks, but that's probably not the best thing to use because it's a little too thin (you don't want it to run where it should go). Still, I haven't had an issue with that joystick even years later so I guess 3-In-One is OK to use, just use a little so it isn't dripping.

You really want to disassemble the joystick to lube it properly. Also, even if it's only lightly used there's probably some powder in there. The powder is the plastic slowly grinding away, which is how the sticks get loose over time. It's not too hard to disassemble it, just watch how it comes apart to know how to put it back together. There's lots of videos on YouTube if you wanna watch a few before going into it. Lube any part that has plastic on plastic rubbing, but the part that really grinds away is the bottom of the stick in the "bowl" that it sits in.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 pm

I was unaware of the Controller thread, thanks for the heads up Ziggy. As for the trigger Z-button, that really is the only flaw with the controller. I got use to it really quickly when I beat Goldeneye with one a couple months ago, but I can see how it might drive people up the wall. I may do the mod Ziggy pointed out. Honestly I did not even notice it after a short time with the controller.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:50 am

I just went back to play some Hocus Pocus by Apogee, something very pleasant about it being so simple for any one can pick up and play on the opposite of the complex button combinations for a modern FPS. I wonder if this type of games still being released as al games now seem to have some sort of a learning curve. Also something very Amiga-ish about it. There is another game called Babylonian Twins that is very similar to it, I wonder if those have their own genre.

Speaking of Amiga, I don't see much love for retro PC games here except maybe for BoneSnapDeez. Is it because most had a console version? I am under the impression that C64/Amiga had a very loyal fan base and not sure about MSX.
opa
64-bit

by opa Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:51 am

I think there are a lot of retro pc fans here. Most discussion seems to take place in the games beaten threads.
marurun

by marurun Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:04 am

I think MrPopo, Ack, and Fastbilly1 are the ones around here who most regularly dig into retro PC titles. They certainly aren't the only ones.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:04 pm

That said, I think Bone is the only one really into retro non-IBM-compatible PC stuff.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:56 pm

I hate when I find a game and can’t find much info on it. Usually, I can find an old website, or HG101 article or something, but not for Quo Vadis or its sequel, both Saturn exclusive strategy games. I assume the lack of info and cheap prices means it probably isn’t good though.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I hate when I find a game and can’t find much info on it. Usually, I can find an old website, or HG101 article or something, but not for Quo Vadis or its sequel, both Saturn exclusive strategy games. I assume the lack of info and cheap prices means it probably isn’t good though.

Japan only release?

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I hate when I find a game and can’t find much info on it. Usually, I can find an old website, or HG101 article or something, but not for Quo Vadis or its sequel, both Saturn exclusive strategy games. I assume the lack of info and cheap prices means it probably isn’t good though.

Japan only release?

Yeah, should have specified. Usually I still get an HG101 article though.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:50 am

Game Sack channel on YouTube is highly underrated even at 250K. Very informative. Feels like a more modern day Computer Chronicles that future generations will use its archives to article research and essays.
Return to General Gaming