Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by pook99 Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:48 pm

I still enjoy AVGN for what it is, it is never laugh out loud funny but it is generally worth a chuckle here and there. It definitely is not as good as it used to be, but after 14 years, very few shows are.

In terms of raw comedy I think the game grumps are the best, at worst they are mildly entertaining, at best they are some of the funniest stuff out there. I just watched their series on devils third and I cannot remember the last time I laughed as hard, some of their other greatest hits include punch out for wii (especially the bald bull episode), sonic unleased, and one of the cd-i zelda games. Those guys consistently put out funny content and it all just feels very natural.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:09 pm

I think you can do a lot worse than AVGN, and he seems like a decent guy. The first videos didn't really appeal to me, I would say they got better over time (though he always did make some legit points about most games). From recently the Majora's Mask video was pretty spot on.

The jokes have generally been lame recently though, the angry act tends to feel tired and forced and some of the side content is meh. The in-video ads are lame as hell and it's sad that youtubers are given a pass with that.

For more in-depth videos there are a lot of as good or better alternatives such as Satchbag's goods, Mr Btongue, Super Bunnyhop, Mathewmatosis, DF Retro (more tech oriented), AesirAesthetics, Indigo Gaming, Lorerunner and more.

For comedy, many of the big ones are pretty bad to me but I do like Mega64 and Dunkey.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:39 pm

I was never a fan of the AVGN series, but I love just about everything else Cinemassacre puts out.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I was never a fan of the AVGN series, but I love just about everything else Cinemassacre puts out.

I think it's common these days for people to like James Rolfe more than his character which has aged kind of poorly (I think he's aware of this since most recent AVGN stuff focuses more on history and information than the old stuff did). Also he's definitely a much bigger movie nerd than he is a video game nerd so I feel like there's more passion behind that stuff.
Syndicate
8-bit

by Syndicate Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:11 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Dudes Gunlord X is awesome.

...thanks for heads up, I can't say that I've ever heard of Gunlord X. Looking at the trailer for it though it seems like good stuff, now I'm trying to decide if I wait for the 2nd physical run or just download it...I'm leaning physical.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:20 pm

In video ads for YouTubers are given a pass because that's one of the few ways they are still able to monetize their content. Ad payouts are literally like 1/10th of what they were 6-7 years ago, unfortunately.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:47 pm

They're also easier to skip (if you don't use an adblocker).

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:47 pm

A roommate actually said that even GameCube stuff is outdated because "newer stuff does it better"... Except for the stuff she's nostalgic for of course... I just can't.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:21 am

Skyward Sword talk went here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53272

Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:17 pm

You ever just fire up an RPG you have not played in months or years. See an old save file of a dozen hours or more and just delete it? May as well I don't remember what happened or where to go.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Return to General Gaming