Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by isiolia Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:14 am

RCBH928 wrote:Some serious retro stuff in there. Since I was a kid I wanted to get one of those joysticks that you use for flight games like Wing Commander, but I question if I should buy a $60 device to play a $5 game. Any recommendations?

If you have games that'd benefit from having a flightstick, then I'd say to invest in one. I'd recommend CH Products. Probably the Combatstick - more buttons n' such than the Flightstick Pro, but replaces some of the multi-way switches on the Fighterstick for simple buttons (and keeps the price under $100).

Not to say that they're the only option. Thrustmaster's T-Flight is easily a better value as it rolls in a full throttle as well, for less (do seem to be quality complaints about it). There are also probably plenty of Saitek or now Logitech devices on the market that are good.

What makes CH Products stand out to me is that the products they have on offer today are literally ones they've made for decades. Just, USB versions (the originals were game port and ADB - I still own an ADB Flightstick Pro). They're solid, quality devices that should work on pretty much any Mac or Windows machine with native USB.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:39 am

isiolia wrote:If you have games that'd benefit from having a flightstick, then I'd say to invest in one. I'd recommend CH Products. Probably the Combatstick - more buttons n' such than the Flightstick Pro, but replaces some of the multi-way switches on the Fighterstick for simple buttons (and keeps the price under $100).

Not to say that they're the only option. Thrustmaster's T-Flight is easily a better value as it rolls in a full throttle as well, for less (do seem to be quality complaints about it). There are also probably plenty of Saitek or now Logitech devices on the market that are good.

What makes CH Products stand out to me is that the products they have on offer today are literally ones they've made for decades. Just, USB versions (the originals were game port and ADB - I still own an ADB Flightstick Pro). They're solid, quality devices that should work on pretty much any Mac or Windows machine with native USB.

You know...I really do believe you are one of the most knowledgable people on gaming.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:52 am

RCBH928 wrote:You know...I really do believe you are one of the most knowledgable people on gaming.

Nah. I've just worked in IT for a long time, so I'm very used to going to Google with some basic knowledge and filling in the gaps. :lol:
opa
64-bit

by opa Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:08 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:So....I got the MacBook up and running. I wiped the hard drive and updated the OS to High Sierra. Then, I set up a GOG account and downloaded all of the free games available for Mac (i.e., Akalabeth, Beneath a Steel Sky, Jill of the Jungle, and Ultima IV). I also downloaded Boxer, which is a really neat DOSBox front-end for Mac, and about fifteen abandonware titles. All of them work really well, and I’m ordering a CD drive so I can put some of my old MS-DOS games on there too. I plan on loading:

Dark Forces
The Dig
Heroes of Might & Magic II
King’s Quest VII
Leisure Suit Larry’s Greatest Hits and Misses
Magic Carpet
Master of Orion
Mechwarrior 2
Quake
Space Quest Collection
Space Quest 6: Roger Wilco The Spinal Frontier
Star Control Collection (Star Control & Star Control II)
Theme Park
TIE Fighter
The Complete Ultima VII
Ultima Underworld Collection
Warcraft
Wing Commander II
Ultimate Wizardry Archives
X-Wing

Wish me luck! This should be a pretty capable little gaming machine once I get everything loaded to it!

Love The Dig. Respectful list of classics!
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:23 pm

@opa: thanks for the resources, I'll check some of those out

Did everyone know you could use gamestop coupons towards digital purchases? I'm in the rewards club and they give you $10 a month in coupons which apparently can be used to preorder digital stuff, so I bought bloodstained curse of the moon 2 for $5 and preloaded it, can't wait to play it tomorrow.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:54 am

pook99 wrote:@opa: thanks for the resources, I'll check some of those out

Did everyone know you could use gamestop coupons towards digital purchases? I'm in the rewards club and they give you $10 a month in coupons which apparently can be used to preorder digital stuff, so I bought bloodstained curse of the moon 2 for $5 and preloaded it, can't wait to play it tomorrow.

I am not in the US, but I thought Gamestop is going the way of the Blockbuster Video.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:48 am

Even though collectors hate Gamestop, most gamers aren't collectors. As long as games are released physically, Gamestop will be in business.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:15 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Even though collectors hate Gamestop, most gamers aren't collectors. As long as games are released physically, Gamestop will be in business.

I disagree with this, actually. Gamestop's model had been suffering for years. They were at some point losing money on game sales, and internal projections indicated that they'd be bankrupt already if they hadn't introduced all the "memorabilia" (aka toys and overpriced branded clothes) to their stores. Now they're suffering even more with the decay of physical media.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Even though collectors hate Gamestop, most gamers aren't collectors. As long as games are released physically, Gamestop will be in business.

Even then, it varies by location. I love my local Gamestop- I went to high school with the guy who manages it now, and he does really great there. He’ll set aside games for the big buyers, and he also will get a new case and professionally print a cover for any used games that come in with out.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:42 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:I disagree with this, actually. Gamestop's model had been suffering for years. They were at some point losing money on game sales, and internal projections indicated that they'd be bankrupt already if they hadn't introduced all the "memorabilia" (aka toys and overpriced branded clothes) to their stores. Now they're suffering even more with the decay of physical media.

Oh, I didn't realize this... Good! :D

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Even then, it varies by location. I love my local Gamestop- I went to high school with the guy who manages it now, and he does really great there. He’ll set aside games for the big buyers, and he also will get a new case and professionally print a cover for any used games that come in with out.

That's awesome, but it doesn't make up for some of the things Game Stop has done nation wide over the years. Most notably from a collector's stand point, throwing out cases and boxes.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
Return to General Gaming