Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 am

My god, from $30 to $100? I want the original ones I am actually planning to use them for the Wii to play NGC games not for the Switch. For years my only option was used controllers. I don't understand why are these out of stock, the Switch is the current console of Nintendo and Smash Bros is very popular. Would anyone advice I pickup one from Japan?

This one from japan is only $40: https://www.amazon.co.jp/任天堂-HAC-A-GCCKE-ニンテンドー-ゲームキューブ-スマブラブラック/dp/B07HC2F97Q/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&dchild=1&keywords=smash+bros+controller&qid=1593663763&sr=8-1
opa
64-bit

by opa Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:45 pm

If your Wii is modded you can just use classic controllers as GameCube controllers. You just have to config the controller settings in Nintendon't.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:14 am

opa wrote:If your Wii is modded you can just use classic controllers as GameCube controllers. You just have to config the controller settings in Nintendon't.

Do you have any experience modding wiis or wii us? I would like to mod my wii u so I can play some european releases(especially Devils Third which is like $30 for a pal and 150-200 for a US version) and some wiiware games that are no longer available for purchase.

I've read some tutorials online but I don't know how risky or how difficult it is and whether or not its worth it.
opa
64-bit

by opa Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:47 am

For Wii U stuff I'll have to point you to the gbatemp forums. I haven't followed the Wii U hacking scene. Here are a couple of Wii resources I've used in the past:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page
https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

Wiibrew is a site I used a lot back in the day for modding/emulators. In fact I think its one of the few places you can still find good downloads of emulators for the Wii. The second link I found recently and seems to be a more up to date guide. Again, gbatemp may be a good place for info too (just use an adblocker, the site is horrendous).

Modding any system comes with risk but the Wii is a beast once you get it set up. In all honesty, I prefer using a modded Wii for emulation over any retropie setup. Cheap component cables, wireless controllers, ripping games from disc... it does it all.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:27 am

How long has this been in my signature? My best philosophy to date... I see things.
Attachments
351F8BDC-EE62-4C22-AD1C-10FA357BA479.jpeg
351F8BDC-EE62-4C22-AD1C-10FA357BA479.jpeg (303.7 KiB) Viewed 200 times
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:18 pm

So....I got the MacBook up and running. I wiped the hard drive and updated the OS to High Sierra. Then, I set up a GOG account and downloaded all of the free games available for Mac (i.e., Akalabeth, Beneath a Steel Sky, Jill of the Jungle, and Ultima IV). I also downloaded Boxer, which is a really neat DOSBox front-end for Mac, and about fifteen abandonware titles. All of them work really well, and I’m ordering a CD drive so I can put some of my old MS-DOS games on there too. I plan on loading:

Dark Forces
The Dig
Heroes of Might & Magic II
King’s Quest VII
Leisure Suit Larry’s Greatest Hits and Misses
Magic Carpet
Master of Orion
Mechwarrior 2
Quake
Space Quest Collection
Space Quest 6: Roger Wilco The Spinal Frontier
Star Control Collection (Star Control & Star Control II)
Theme Park
TIE Fighter
The Complete Ultima VII
Ultima Underworld Collection
Warcraft
Wing Commander II
Ultimate Wizardry Archives
X-Wing

Wish me luck! This should be a pretty capable little gaming machine once I get everything loaded to it!
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Good choice of games. I approve.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:21 pm

Ack wrote:Good choice of games. I approve.

Thanks! I’ve got two CD books full of old PC games and no good way to play them until now. I’m pretty excited to dig into these a bit.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:37 pm

Jill of the Jungle is a surprisingly fluid platformer and Beneath a Steel Sky remains a classic. Good choices.

Akalabeth is kinda infuriating and I tend to utilize the Lizard Man cheat.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 am

Some serious retro stuff in there. Since I was a kid I wanted to get one of those joysticks that you use for flight games like Wing Commander, but I question if I should buy a $60 device to play a $5 game. Any recommendations?

Boxer was a great DOSBox which was very short lived, the developer has quit on it long time ago. I think GOG bought the app or made him join their team, something like that.
Return to General Gaming