Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:41 am

Markies wrote:Today's GameFAQ's Poll Results...

Ancient?
Ancient??

I felt a little older after reading that...

I have a different scale.
*5 years old-New game(The Witcher 3)
*10 year old-Modern(RDR)
*Old-PS2 generation
*Pretty Old-32/16 bit generation
*Ancient-anything pre-Sega Genesis

I just cant look at GTA V and think this is an old game. Don't know how the younger ones feel.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:35 pm

Is anyone else annoyed by some newer games that are not supposed to be fun but instead are supposed to be (insert random hipster adjective)

I noticed it with death stranding, where many positive reviews talked about how much the game was not fun and instead praised other random aspects of the game.

I am starting to see the same annoying tone in some reviews of last of us 2, in fact apparently one of the developers even said, "this game was not made to be fun, it is made to be engaging" Of course I get these are only 2 games, but they are 2 huge games released in very close proximity so it does raise a bit of a red flag.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does this annoy anyone else to the same degree that it annoys me, or am I being unreasonable?
marurun

by marurun Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:39 pm

I think they are just getting caught in the misconception that something fun can’t have depth, and that if they want their product To be perceived as deep or artsy or mainstream, it can’t be “fun”. This idea is stupid, of course, and I think perhaps they also imagine the complexity of their own stories and experiences to be greater than actuality.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:13 pm

I still dunno what to think of death stranding but my god that was one of the most stressful games I've played.

As a hipster, I do think stuff can be both, and one is not better than the other. I can enjoy both action films and films by Pedro costa or bela tarr

I do find myself preferring an emotional connection though. That is why Outer Wilds is my favourite game so far.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:15 am

marurun wrote:I think they are just getting caught in the misconception that something fun can’t have depth, and that if they want their product To be perceived as deep or artsy or mainstream, it can’t be “fun”. This idea is stupid, of course, and I think perhaps they also imagine the complexity of their own stories and experiences to be greater than actuality.

True art is incomprehensible.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:24 pm

I grabbed the new God of War game as part of Target's B2G1 free sale. I've only played God of War 1&2. Should I play any of the others before the new one?
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:33 pm

bmoc wrote:I grabbed the new God of War game as part of Target's B2G1 free sale. I've only played God of War 1&2. Should I play any of the others before the new one?

I've been playing through it (having never played the previous ones), and it doesn't seem like you really need to know much going in.

pook99 wrote:Is anyone else annoyed by some newer games that are not supposed to be fun but instead are supposed to be (insert random hipster adjective)

~

Has anyone else noticed this? Does this annoy anyone else to the same degree that it annoys me, or am I being unreasonable?

I don't think it's anything new. I think they're just working towards a different player experience, same as various genres have since ever. Same as various TV shows and movies, as mentioned. Which isn't to say it's necessary, or that some games (just like movies) don't go overboard.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:55 pm

XBSX is 4 consoles in 1
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:02 pm

TEKTORO wrote:XBSX is 4 consoles in 1

Sort of. OG Xbox and Xbox360 titles will be limited to what is currently backwards compatible on the Xbox One. They will likely add more eventually.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:09 pm

A few years ago I was playing Mega Man 2 and ended up in some weird glitch world. I was playing on an emulator so I managed to get screenshots:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p1096867

Anyway, today I stumbled across a video showing how to trigger this. Thought it was kinda cool. Probably never would have thought about this again had I not found the video:
https://youtu.be/koTEUbNwv9w?t=391
Return to General Gaming