Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Tue May 19, 2020 1:08 pm

I got a Toshiba Satellite passed down to me, IIRC it was a cheapo laptop bought in around 2014. To my surprise it had a GPU, AMD HD 7500(I don't know what this means). Went to SystemRequirementsLab.com it said my GPU driver is 50+ months out of date(AMD site says its the latest) but it also said I had the recommended specs to run Brutal Legend(x360 Game)...woah...
I was not having much hope to run Psychonauts or Fable Anniversary.

Launched Serious Sam(less than 400MB, what a sign of times) and was excited I can run this beautiful looking 3D game, after looking up some info on it, it appears its an 18 year old game. I am seriously getting old, must ask one of the younger generation if this game looks awesome to them. In the menu I was given the option between OpenGL and DirectX, as a Mac user that always had OpenGL as his only option, I switched DirectX on because thats what makes the games run great on Windows. Honestly didn't see any difference, maybe I am missing something.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Tue May 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Got metal gear online+ the other stuff in the lot in the mail today. Sold it all at a game store except metal gear for 25$ and bought a case for metal gear because the lady actually thought to send the cover art and manual. Thank Christ.

Also picked up the Cowboy Bebop ps2 game special edition on Yahoo Japan auction for 35$... The shopping is like 40$ :oops:
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed May 20, 2020 9:37 am

RCBH928 wrote:I got a Toshiba Satellite passed down to me, IIRC it was a cheapo laptop bought in around 2014. To my surprise it had a GPU, AMD HD 7500(I don't know what this means). Went to SystemRequirementsLab.com it said my GPU driver is 50+ months out of date(AMD site says its the latest) but it also said I had the recommended specs to run Brutal Legend(x360 Game)...woah...
I was not having much hope to run Psychonauts or Fable Anniversary.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeo ... 861.0.html - if it's actually comparable to HD4000 graphics, then it'll probably do fairly well with earlier 2000s games. Given how common 1366x768 panels were in lower end laptops, you're probably stuck with relatively low resolutions anyway.

In the menu I was given the option between OpenGL and DirectX, as a Mac user that always had OpenGL as his only option, I switched DirectX on because thats what makes the games run great on Windows. Honestly didn't see any difference, maybe I am missing something.

It'd really depend - in some cases you may have fancier graphics features supported with DirectX, but more often it'd be a compatibility or performance thing. That general timeframe had a variety of Windows releases to support, and the OS/drivers may have only supported one or the other well or at all. NT 4.0, for instance, could do OpenGL but not Direct3D.
Once things got more focused on Windows XP/Vista and on, choice of renderer got less common, until more modern titles started offering Vulkan (and even then, it may not be a choice).
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed May 20, 2020 12:30 pm

isiolia wrote:https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeo ... 861.0.html - if it's actually comparable to HD4000 graphics, then it'll probably do fairly well with earlier 2000s games. Given how common 1366x768 panels were in lower end laptops, you're probably stuck with relatively low resolutions anyway.

I got macbook that has Iris Graphics 6100, thats like more powerful than HD4000, am I right? It completely sucks, it near melts running a LaserDisc game(Dragon Lair) and retro games(mainly 3D titles/fps titles that require emulation/wine), maybe its MacOS though not the hardware.

I don't care about resolution, 720P is too much for me, and I still see SNES graphics as fun and beautiful. I understand though that modern games are built to maximize on the resolution aspect with fine details and high textures graphics.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm

RCBH928 wrote:I got macbook that has Iris Graphics 6100, thats like more powerful than HD4000, am I right? It completely sucks, it near melts running a LaserDisc game(Dragon Lair) and retro games(mainly 3D titles/fps titles that require emulation/wine), maybe its MacOS though not the hardware.

I don't care about resolution, 720P is too much for me, and I still see SNES graphics as fun and beautiful. I understand though that modern games are built to maximize on the resolution aspect with fine details and high textures graphics.

It's several years newer, yeah. Figure though, something like Serious Sam (the original incarnation anyway) was already about a ten year old title when Intel HD4000 graphics came out (around third gen i-series, so maybe around 2012). It wouldn't do well running a lot of current titles of the day, but stuff that was already older will likely play well.

Lower resolutions will be less demanding as well, and the (presumably) 720p panel in your laptop just means that you're likely running things at what's effectively a fairly modest resolution, for PC, but also what most 360 and PS3 games ran at natively. So, you may also have good luck running the PC ports of that generation of games at low/mid settings.
With proper scaling settings, you can just play things at 1024x768 with vertical black bars on the sides, so a common target resolution for the early 2000s that should look nice and sharp due to no scaling being needed.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu May 21, 2020 12:14 pm

@isiolia
Thanks for the tips and info, much appreciated.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri May 22, 2020 3:41 am

Does anyone else think the retro grading system is the dumbest thing in the world? For those of you who dont know what I'm talking about, you can send your retro game to a company, they grade it on its condition and then they seal it up in an airtight case with a letter grade, never to be played again. This process can increase the value of some retro games by a decent amount.

Who the fuck is buying these things? I just don't get people who collect video games just for the sake of collecting something. There are so many better things you could be doing with your money from a purely investment standpoint and it just seems so dumb to me to buy games with no intention of ever playing them. I know these kinds of people are in the minority but it really is baffling to me.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri May 22, 2020 4:23 am

pook99 wrote:Does anyone else think the retro grading system is the dumbest thing in the world? For those of you who dont know what I'm talking about, you can send your retro game to a company, they grade it on its condition and then they seal it up in an airtight case with a letter grade, never to be played again. This process can increase the value of some retro games by a decent amount.

Who the fuck is buying these things? I just don't get people who collect video games just for the sake of collecting something. There are so many better things you could be doing with your money from a purely investment standpoint and it just seems so dumb to me to buy games with no intention of ever playing them. I know these kinds of people are in the minority but it really is baffling to me.

It's been discussed over and over again on many a forum. It's the dumbest thing ever. Thankfully NintendoAge, the biggest consumer of graded games, was bought and gutted. Hooray for sanity.
opa
64-bit

by opa Fri May 22, 2020 8:44 am

Game grading has always been a money-making scam. Unfortunately there's a new grading company (wata grading) that's perpetuating the same crap so expect to see more of it showing up on ebay.
The current market for these things seem to be people with more money than sense but I'd wager there are better investments than a sealed Top Gun.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 am

pook99 wrote:Does anyone else think the retro grading system is the dumbest thing in the world? For those of you who dont know what I'm talking about, you can send your retro game to a company, they grade it on its condition and then they seal it up in an airtight case with a letter grade, never to be played again. This process can increase the value of some retro games by a decent amount.

To me, the general concept is fine. It's similar to what comics and trading cards and whatever else has had for a long time. Preserving the condition makes sense if the point is collecting a pristine copy - the folks that paid millions for Action Comics #1 did so for the item itself, not as reading material.

Even the process itself, go look at Wata's order form - if you paid for next-day service and all the options, the whole process would cost a little over $200. Significantly less if you're not in a huge rush, or don't need them to tear down, test, photograph the PCB, etc. If you're a collector spending hundreds on a new/sealed copy of something, when you could go buy it for $5 loose, then spending an extra, say, $100 to have it verified and preserved isn't really terrible.

I think where things get really, really dumb is people turning around to try and sell graded copies for outlandish amounts. It's likely just an extension of sellers over-valuing things on eBay/etc anyway - IE, since it was mentioned, there's a $35 CiB copy of Top Gun NES listed on eBay atm. There's also one listed for $900. The graded copies I see are $1500 and $3500...for a game that's typically sub-$10 loose.

So, I'd say it's really less the practice of grading games, and more just the hype/speculation around collectible items. Video games in this case. I'm not sure who (if anyone) actually buys graded games at those prices - or vastly overpriced new/sealed copies for that matter.
Return to General Gaming