Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Wed May 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Gamespot.com seems like a ghost town...
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Thu May 14, 2020 8:38 am

What games should I cover next for my retro metroidvania guide?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b5x ... 8DHWs/edit

Currently playing Prime 1.
Last edited by PresidentLeever on Thu May 14, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu May 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Unreal Engine 5 is revealed, the question is if I showed an average person screenshots from PS4 and PS5, can they tell which is which like they could from SNES to N64 and PSX to PS2?
I think we are beyond the point where better graphics make better gameplay, I have a very hard time believing in the future people will look at PS3 games and think "My EYES!!"...Personally anything PS2 level and later is good enough. Even some games on the Dreamcast look good to me like Soul Calibre and Jet Set Radio.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu May 14, 2020 3:38 pm

RCBH928 wrote:Unreal Engine 5 is revealed, the question is if I showed an average person screenshots from PS4 and PS5, can they tell which is which like they could from SNES to N64 and PSX to PS2?

Probably at some point, though it may depend on other factors. Casual observers can likely see a difference between games in a series built to take advantage of ever-greater tech, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them discerning the differences between mid and high tier GPUs and settings on the same game, for example.

UE5 seems to have some potential there. Keeping in mind that the first look is maybe more developer-focused and - for as good as the demo looks - a lot of what they're pointing out is making those level results easier to achieve. Keeping in mind too that Unreal Engine is already used in film production, highlighted by stuff like The Mandelorian basically being shot in front of a projected environment using it. In a way, this is like saying the next Unreal Engine can just kinda use those assets in a game, without spending a bunch of time making reduced quality, baked lighting versions/etc.
(what I don't recall them mentioning is the storage needed for the demo assets/etc though :lol: )
marurun

by marurun Thu May 14, 2020 4:05 pm

I think the major differences between last gen and the upcoming gen will only truly be visible in-motion. And UE5 does look like it has the potential to make game development a bit easier. I suspect AAA titles will start pushing flashier lighting and effects and indies will have more tools at their disposal as well.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri May 15, 2020 12:28 pm

isiolia wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Unreal Engine 5 is revealed, the question is if I showed an average person screenshots from PS4 and PS5, can they tell which is which like they could from SNES to N64 and PSX to PS2?

Probably at some point, though it may depend on other factors. Casual observers can likely see a difference between games in a series built to take advantage of ever-greater tech, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them discerning the differences between mid and high tier GPUs and settings on the same game, for example.

UE5 seems to have some potential there. Keeping in mind that the first look is maybe more developer-focused and - for as good as the demo looks - a lot of what they're pointing out is making those level results easier to achieve. Keeping in mind too that Unreal Engine is already used in film production, highlighted by stuff like The Mandelorian basically being shot in front of a projected environment using it. In a way, this is like saying the next Unreal Engine can just kinda use those assets in a game, without spending a bunch of time making reduced quality, baked lighting versions/etc.
(what I don't recall them mentioning is the storage needed for the demo assets/etc though :lol: )

I didn't know they used game engines in movies, I thought they were limited to 3D software like 3DMax.

Shouldn't the BD UltraHD be enough for those assets at 100GB? I am an advocate of physical media, its not as convenient and bluray loading is slow on my ps3, but to have 100GB of data on a single cheap disc that can not be accidentally deleted, get a virus, or get corrupted available instantly is much more worry free to me. As someone who used 56Kbps modems, 1Gbps is mind boggling, but even that will take sometime to download GBs of data back and forth not to mention that Wifi is limited to 400-500Mbps. Then you have corrupted downloads, broken downloads, etc...

Cool findings:
1-BD UltraHD has black tint. COOL! I always liked that on the PSX it felt very "futuristic". The purple tint DVDs got later on is just "cheap"
2-There are no region locking on BD UltraHD, FINALLY! Not sure why PS3 had PAL and NTSC versions since both will work on any ps3.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri May 15, 2020 1:58 pm

3D tools tend to be split between different tasks - modelling, animation, rendering, and so on can vary. Game engines as a basis for real-time rendering makes sense since it lines up with the purpose.

Either way, basic size on disk is one thing - both MS and Sony are including 4k Ultra disc support, so having that as an option is likely a thing. However, I'd expect that (just like the PS4 and XB1) all games will be fully installed to play. There'd also be the question of pulling very high resolution assets from storage into memory, and both are far better equipped for that than the current gen. It does make the PS5 as the initial demo here curious - Sony has gone all in on making the PS5's storage very, very fast. Specs otherwise trail the Series X, but SSD peak data throughput is almost double.

The actual assets used are freely available, but still, it's potentially a LOT of data for what'd be a fragment of a game.

Regarding 4k Ultra... the discs I've got are basically indistinguishable from regular Blu-rays. Not black or anything. The colored discs Sony used were just the black on PS1 and then blue for CD based PS2 games. DVDs were silver. Purple/etc were more DVD-Rs.

Region coding probably has some to do with potential output. Blu-ray still technically supported more varied NTSC or PAL picture outputs, even if 1080p/24 was fairly standard for movies and the like. I think 4k Ultra is just even more of a specific standard.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri May 15, 2020 2:55 pm

I think we are beyond the point where better graphics make better gameplay, I have a very hard time believing in the future people will look at PS3 games and think "My EYES!!"...Personally anything PS2 level and later is good enough. Even some games on the Dreamcast look good to me like Soul Calibre and Jet Set Radio.

I definitely think there is a point of diminishing returns, I play a fair amount of xbox 360 games and they still look very good. Bigger certainly does not always equal better but with more processing power developers may be able to do some cool things that we haven't thought of yet, but until we actually see that I am not super excited for next gen, I will eventually buy a ps5 but not until it is well established and at a discount.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sat May 16, 2020 12:59 pm

I've been playing Prime 1 for the last few days, hadn't beaten it before. Comparing it to the 2D games, I haven't made it that far yet but I can say that it's harder to read the environments and that tends to become more of a focus than figuring out what or how to do something; they're more visually busy and there are various minor parts that look traversable but aren't, which has made me fall into lava a couple of times. Platforming is also not as smooth but I'm playing on GC so I can only look down while still and this sometimes breaks flow.

The world is bigger and makes you backtrack kinda far at times to progress so I wouldn't have minded some teleporters or more shortcuts. It does make good use of new abilities to make it easier or more interesting though and the optional hint system works pretty well, since it doesn't show the route to the next sub objective on the map and I'm not that interested in combing the world and getting 100%. The map is good but could've shown a bit more in-room details, cardinal directions and also item location hints like in SM - at least once you've seen them. The mini-map is too zoomed out and doesn't help at all at times. Optimally one could've placed map markers at points of interest for later (invented in 1992).

I don't like the changes to bomb jumping and the removal of wall jumping (yes it wouldn't feel good in FP but an equivalent for the ball form could work, or perhaps a ledge grab). The game's main path is too linear unless you use unintended sequence breaking which was also mostly "fixed" in the later version I'm playing.

This sounds kinda negative, but I'm pretty impressed with the transition overall and I like these aspects: most things about the scanning ability, the ball physics, the lore tidbits, the visors, the named rooms and the more puzzle-like boss fights. Changed enemies and music when revisiting areas is also a nice touch.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat May 16, 2020 1:18 pm

isiolia wrote:3D tools tend to be split between different tasks - modelling, animation, rendering, and so on can vary. Game engines as a basis for real-time rendering makes sense since it lines up with the purpose.

Either way, basic size on disk is one thing - both MS and Sony are including 4k Ultra disc support, so having that as an option is likely a thing. However, I'd expect that (just like the PS4 and XB1) all games will be fully installed to play. There'd also be the question of pulling very high resolution assets from storage into memory, and both are far better equipped for that than the current gen. It does make the PS5 as the initial demo here curious - Sony has gone all in on making the PS5's storage very, very fast. Specs otherwise trail the Series X, but SSD peak data throughput is almost double.

The actual assets used are freely available, but still, it's potentially a LOT of data for what'd be a fragment of a game.

Regarding 4k Ultra... the discs I've got are basically indistinguishable from regular Blu-rays. Not black or anything. The colored discs Sony used were just the black on PS1 and then blue for CD based PS2 games. DVDs were silver. Purple/etc were more DVD-Rs.

Region coding probably has some to do with potential output. Blu-ray still technically supported more varied NTSC or PAL picture outputs, even if 1080p/24 was fairly standard for movies and the like. I think 4k Ultra is just even more of a specific standard.

SSDs and 16GB RAM is a real head scratcher, makes me wonder if they have something different planned or just pumping specs to make it impressive to justify the upgrade. I was under the impression that 8GB is more than enough for any game especially considering consoles are dedicated devices meaning they make more use of less specs for the game, also makes me baffled that PS3 was only 256MB RAM...I still can't tell if a game is PS4 or PS3 from screenshots. Makes me think PS3 developers are similar to the demoscene guys :lol:

Sorry about the black tint info, I read it in an article, maybe it was something planned pre-release but abandoned later. Region coding was for the purpose to refrain rights(Movie X is only to be sold in USA not Europe, they still do this with video streaming services) and to give the ability to change pricing based on region economy, they want to sell a movie in Tokyo much more expensive than say India. PAL and NTSC was more about electricity and picture output of the country's standards, but multi-systems have existed forever.

pook99 wrote:I definitely think there is a point of diminishing returns, I play a fair amount of xbox 360 games and they still look very good. Bigger certainly does not always equal better but with more processing power developers may be able to do some cool things that we haven't thought of yet, but until we actually see that I am not super excited for next gen, I will eventually buy a ps5 but not until it is well established and at a discount.

Yes exactly, I would like to see if anything else is possible other than higher polygons or "better graphics". I remember LittleBigPlanet was supposed to be impossible on any other system than PS3, something to do with it being "super computer". I really don't remember but they used the system's power for something other than just graphics.
Return to General Gaming