Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PretentiousHipster
32-bit

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by PretentiousHipster Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am

Definitely need some time to think about which zelda game I think is best during my replaying. It's either A Link to the Past, or The Minish Cap.

So, ALttP was the one that set the formula all zelda games used. All the side quests are useful too. Traveling between the light and dark world is seamless for the most part too. The problem is that the ice palace was one of the worst dungeons I've ever played, and that and another dungeon fucks up the difficulty progression which I find to be of the utmost important in games.

Minish Cap had useless side quests, like the kinstones and especially the figurines, but everything else about it is amazing except for some of the bosses. They lacked originality because they were just large versions of regular enemies.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:22 am

I never appreciated videogames work outside of the design and controls, I just assumed since its on a computer you can basically do anything. Its just a matter of doing the work. Watching "how it was made..." videos explaining the many technical limitations they had to overcome makes me appreciate them a lot more.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:50 am

I wish I could play GOG/Steam games on the new Xbox
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:04 am

I don't want to open a new thread over this, but I got a laptop with 16:9 screen, does anyone have any tips on how to play retro games from GOG/Steam in their original aspect ratio (4:3)? Currently a full screen is very widely stretched and the original DOOM just does not look good that way. They seem to launch in DOSBOX
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:30 am

For each game you'll need to go into the game folder and find the DOSBox config file. In general the format is that there is a base config, and then one or more ones such as gamename_single, gamename_multi. Open the base config. Update the following configs:

output=openglnb

aspect=true

That'll give you 4:3 with black bars on the side.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:21 am

MrPopo wrote:For each game you'll need to go into the game folder and find the DOSBox config file. In general the format is that there is a base config, and then one or more ones such as gamename_single, gamename_multi. Open the base config. Update the following configs:

output=openglnb

aspect=true

thanks, this is great! Shouldn't this be the default anyway since I am guessing ALL DOS games were meant to be 4:3? I think 4:3 was the standard up until maybe '05-'06?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:21 pm

RCBH928 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:For each game you'll need to go into the game folder and find the DOSBox config file. In general the format is that there is a base config, and then one or more ones such as gamename_single, gamename_multi. Open the base config. Update the following configs:

output=openglnb

aspect=true

thanks, this is great! Shouldn't this be the default anyway since I am guessing ALL DOS games were meant to be 4:3? I think 4:3 was the standard up until maybe '05-'06?

I really don't understand why GOG doesn't make this the default config either.

That said for Doom I suggest checking out some of the Source Ports since they play nicer than DOS box. If you really need the crunchy DOS look and authentic feel, Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom are good vanilla options.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:09 pm

I feel like there is a marketing opportunity for the two to combine forces and join with Nestle.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 pm

MrPopo wrote:I feel like there is a marketing opportunity for the two to combine forces and join with Nestle.

Lol, technically it already is. Crispy Doom is actually just a forked version of Chocolate Doom to up the resolution and allow limit breaking WADS. Chocolate Doom emulates the original resolution, limitations and bugs of the DOS executable.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:

output=openglnb

aspect=true

I really don't understand why GOG doesn't make this the default config either.

That said for Doom I suggest checking out some of the Source Ports since they play nicer than DOS box. If you really need the crunchy DOS look and authentic feel, Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom are good vanilla options.

DOOM with DOSBox from GOG is very playable, but I also suggest using a source port. I'm currently using GZDOOM but I've tweaked the settings so it plays mostly like vanilla DOOM but with an increased resolution, and without bugs and limits (I guess I set it to play like Crispy DOOM lol).

The original max resolution of DOOM will look fine on an old CRT monitor, but it's too low of a resolution for modern displays.
Return to General Gaming