Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:10 pm

opa wrote:I can see the CIB DS market going up but loose will be darn near worthless what with all the bootlegs.

Yeah, gamestop still sucks for throwing stuff out but I've seen brand new Switch games at second-hand shops loose. So people, in general, seem to not care about keeping games in complete condition.

There are two loose NDS games I predict having value. They are the un-glitched, USA-1 versions of Bubble Bobble Revolution and SNK Cardfighters. Both are rare, and the former is ridiculously rare.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Mother of God..... I finally got the Pia Carrot fan translation working on my PC. Took me about three hours, I'm sorry to say. I feel like an idiot. But this one is notoriously tough to get going.

Was it worth it?? I dunno yet.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:55 am

HowLongToBeat states that it willt ake about 46.5 hours to beat Dark Souls. I am 80 hrs in and still did not finish the game. I guess I over did the leveling part.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:19 am

RCBH928 wrote:HowLongToBeat states that it willt ake about 46.5 hours to beat Dark Souls. I am 80 hrs in and still did not finish the game. I guess I over did the leveling part.

I just picked up Dark Souls Remastered, although I haven't played it yet. I was curious, so I looked it up on How Long to Beat. Funny, apparently the original Dark Souls takes 46 hours for the main story, but the Remaster only takes 26 hours LOL.

Dark Souls.JPG
Dark Souls.JPG (41 KiB) Viewed 418 times
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:50 am

RCBH928 wrote:HowLongToBeat states that it willt ake about 46.5 hours to beat Dark Souls. I am 80 hrs in and still did not finish the game. I guess I over did the leveling part.

It's just an experience thing. I think my first playthrough was in the 50-60 hour range and I skipped the DLC. Subsequent runs have been half that, or less, including doing the DLC area. You'd likely see a similar jump in efficiency if you replay it, or move on to similar games.
PretentiousHipster
32-bit

by PretentiousHipster Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:09 pm

I might as well embarrass myself. These are games I haven't played yet, or at least only tried out for a bit.

Metroid Games
Mega Man Games
Shmups
Doom Games
Beyond Good and Evil
Early Fallout
Warcraft and Starcraft Games
Castlevania Games
The DND Games (Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torement, Icewind Dale... and I own some of these in physical copies and all digitally)
Silent Hill Games (I keep delaying part 2 because I'm too scared)
Earthbound
Resident Evil Games except 5
Persona Games
Super Mario World

And I took 2 years of video game programming LOL. At least this means I have a lot to look forward to.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:30 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:I might as well embarrass myself. These are games I haven't played yet, or at least only tried out for a bit.

Metroid Games
Mega Man Games
Shmups
Doom Games
Beyond Good and Evil
Early Fallout
Warcraft and Starcraft Games
Castlevania Games
The DND Games (Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torement, Icewind Dale... and I own some of these in physical copies and all digitally)
Silent Hill Games (I keep delaying part 2 because I'm too scared)
Earthbound
Resident Evil Games except 5
Persona Games
Super Mario World

And I took 2 years of video game programming LOL. At least this means I have a lot to look forward to.

You have some great games ahead of you, I am generally obsessed with Mega Man so I would tell you to play that first but everything on your list is good times.

If you do play mega man first don't start with 1, 7, or 8. I don't think any of them are bad games but 1 is a bit rough around the edges and the other 2 don't feel like proper mega man games. My unpopular opinion would be to start with Mega Man 5, it is probably the easiest main line game, but it is a lot of fun and very under rated. Once you cut your teeth on that one you could get into some of the harder entries in the series.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:40 pm

You can't play everything, and couldn't even if you wanted.

Find the genres, developers, consoles, etc. that really move you and stick with 'em.

I mostly play just platformers and RPGs. And visual novels. And Atari games.
PretentiousHipster
32-bit

by PretentiousHipster Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:17 pm

I feel like it's going to be the same as with movies and music when I got into them. Play the classics. Through that you will find your niche, and then you can go explore that niche more in-depth. The bad thing about video games though is that they are a hell of a lot more time consuming.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:I feel like it's going to be the same as with movies and music when I got into them. Play the classics. Through that you will find your niche, and then you can go explore that niche more in-depth. The bad thing about video games though is that they are a hell of a lot more time consuming.

They are...I’ve been on a journey though Electronic Gaming Monthly’s Top 100 and 200 games for decades. (I’m almost there... :lol: ). Those lists are a great way to explore some classic games, but it is taking me a really long time to get through them. I just keep getting sidetracked by games I want to play...or new games...or games that weren’t appreciated in their time. I’m having fun though, and since this is a hobby, that’s what matters.

Anyway, and for what it’s worth, here are my recommendations on your list:

Metroid Games. - Start with Super Metroid. You can knock it out pretty quickly, and it’s one of the best in the series.
Mega Man Games - Start with Mega Man 2. It is the best, in my opinion. Not too easy; not too hard. Lots of fun, with a killer soundtrack.
Shmups - Start with Death Smiles; it’s a really great beginner’s shmup. Play it through; then see how close you can get to a 1CC.
Doom Games - Play Doom 2. It’s fast, fun, and not that hard.
Beyond Good and Evil - Good, not great, game. It had some great world-building for its time, but it’s been outclassed now. You can skip it.
Early Fallout - ??? I’ve never played these.
Warcraft and Starcraft Games - ??? I’ve never played these either.
Castlevania Games - There are two schools of Castlevania. For “classicvania”, play Castlevania III or Castlevania Rondo of Blood. For “metroidvania”, play Symphony of the Night.
The DND Games (Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torement, Icewind Dale... and I own some of these in physical copies and all digitally) - Play Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance with your significant other. It’s fantastic couch co-op, and it gives you the D&D “lite” experience in just a few hours.
Silent Hill Games (I keep delaying part 2 because I'm too scared) - ???? I can’t get into these. I’ve tried. They just don’t click.
Earthbound - ???? Ditto.
Resident Evil Games except 5 - Resident Evil 2 is the best.
Persona Games - ???? These look really cool, but life is just too short for games this long.
Super Mario World - The last truly great SMB 2D platformer. You really should play this, and you can likely knock it out in a few hours.
Return to General Gaming