Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by marurun Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:51 pm

Well, but once you start introducing more art assets and more sprawling worlds, content creation becomes a lot more expensive. Suddenly you need to be paying more artists and level designers. And trying to have them working with older art tools? Ugh...
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:53 pm

It really depends on what "bigger" means. If you're talking something like "what if LttP had an Overworld 4x the size?" that's not really a tools limitation; everything is laid out in memory and has pointers for what sections of map to load next. It takes time for the artists to create the additional assets, but that's a linear scale. The real thing is making enough INTERESTING content to justify it. Look at modern open world games that have a ton of "stuff" in them, but lots of it is not necessarily meaningful. Much of it seems to be more of a way to keep level designers busy during production by hiding things in out-of-the-way places.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:15 am

it never ceases to amaze me how in an RPG one enemy will give you a lot of trouble and frustration, and later in the game when you revisit it/him , they are basically a "1-punch-dead" enemy. Sometimes you can stand there for half a min. doing nothing and he hardly affects your life meter.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 pm

So...in reasearching rate and valuable NDS games, I discovered that my CIB copy of Hoppie is worth a good bit more than my CIB copy of The Dark Spire. It appears that GameStop’s practice of throwing out cases and manuals for some obscure games has caused CIB copies prices to go up quite a bit. Also, there are a lot of really random, low-print-run NDS games, and it will be interesting to see how the collectors market for these games develops over the years.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Guess who upgraded his GameStop membership and now has a one-year subscription to GAME INFORMER.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:08 pm

I find three things amazing about that.

1. That Game Informer is still a thing
2. That Gamestop still has enough liquidity to do that deal
3. That you would take that deal
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:50 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:So...in reasearching rate and valuable NDS games, I discovered that my CIB copy of Hoppie is worth a good bit more than my CIB copy of The Dark Spire. It appears that GameStop’s practice of throwing out cases and manuals for some obscure games has caused CIB copies prices to go up quite a bit. Also, there are a lot of really random, low-print-run NDS games, and it will be interesting to see how the collectors market for these games develops over the years.

why would they throw the case and manual? Its worth more with them.
PretentiousHipster
24-bit

by PretentiousHipster Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:44 am

RCBH928 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:So...in reasearching rate and valuable NDS games, I discovered that my CIB copy of Hoppie is worth a good bit more than my CIB copy of The Dark Spire. It appears that GameStop’s practice of throwing out cases and manuals for some obscure games has caused CIB copies prices to go up quite a bit. Also, there are a lot of really random, low-print-run NDS games, and it will be interesting to see how the collectors market for these games develops over the years.

why would they throw the case and manual? Its worth more with them.

They need more space for funkos.

We have only eb games in canada which gamestop is a parent company of. They sell xbox 360 and ps3 game discs in a ziploc bag to save space.
opa
24-bit

by opa Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 am

I can see the CIB DS market going up but loose will be darn near worthless what with all the bootlegs.

Yeah, gamestop still sucks for throwing stuff out but I've seen brand new Switch games at second-hand shops loose. So people, in general, seem to not care about keeping games in complete condition.
Return to General Gaming