Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by pook99 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Ouch...This one’s hitting a little close to home..

https://ogn.theonion.com/impressive-sup ... 1841065112

That was a great article, made me think of a few youtube hipsters who like to drone on constantly about the virtues of original hardware.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Glad I waited on the reviews for the Kingdom Hearts III DLC. I'm hearing that it lasts around 4 hours and mostly retreads old content. $30 seems like a bit much for that. I'll probably just catch the cutscenes on Youtube.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I've been watching various parts of a Japanese youtuber (Kotaba) playing through Dragonball Z: Kakkarot. When she got to the Buu Saga, it dawned on me, maybe for the first time in my life, that the line of wizards-genies are: Bibidi, Babidi, and Buu. In other words, "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo." -_-

bmoc wrote:Glad I waited on the reviews for the Kingdom Hearts III DLC. I'm hearing that it lasts around 4 hours and mostly retreads old content. $30 seems like a bit much for that. I'll probably just catch the cutscenes on Youtube.

Holy crap, $30! Is that for the 'season pass' or just that one DLC?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Just the one DLC. There isn't a season pass that I am aware of.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I wonder how much publishers make from releasing retro games at $5 and $10 on GOG
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

What kind of game will we get if developers used 16-bit era tools with the speed and storage capacity of modern systems?
marurun

Post by marurun »

What do you mean by 16-bit tools? Shitty Dev environments? Mixed c and assembly code?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:What do you mean by 16-bit tools? Shitty Dev environments? Mixed c and assembly code?

more like with the limitations of the 16-bit era, whatever limits they had making Sonic and Donkey Kong Country. I just assumed the tools were part of the limitation, like how Photoshop then couldn't do as much as it can do now.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

The main difference now is really in the workflow. There weren't the kinds of dev tools there are now (i.e. Unreal Engine, Unity, etc), and most things had to be coded from scratch. Familiarity with the hardware was extremely important. Not to mention needing developers who could handle working with a processor's instruction set in Assembly. A CD-ROM is already pretty much limitless storage for 16-bit games, anyway.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:more like with the limitations of the 16-bit era, whatever limits they had making Sonic and Donkey Kong Country. I just assumed the tools were part of the limitation, like how Photoshop then couldn't do as much as it can do now.

Ultimately, the platforms they were targeting were the more limiting factor. As pierrot mentioned, there are some massive differences between then and now - both with respect to tools/engines, and to hardware access. However, tools of that era clearly could allow for more, evidenced by what was available in arcades, if not PC/etc.