Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Ack Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:26 am

Admittedly it did take a lot longer to figure out than SNES emulation, and even once it was running, it took a while to run well. If you haven't been on the scene for N64 emulation in a while, it can definitely leave that impression.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Babylons Fall is Dark Souls setting with DMC combat. yes thanks.

But there was this one game with a familiar logo. Spellbreak.

Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:53 pm

Started playing Soul Knight on my phone, if you're a fan of Binding of Isaac or Gungeon check it out. It's free, so even if you haven't played those give it a download and try it out.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:35 am

marurun wrote:Um... The N64 is not especially difficult to emulate. What are you talking about?

Well 2 reasons:

1-A lot of the games were made to utilize the the awkward N64 controller with its D-Pad, 1 stick, 4 C buttons, and the Z-trigger. With SNES for the most party you just need a D-pad and 4 buttons, basically any modern controller will do.

2-I drop on the N64 emulation scene from time to time, and last I checked there were still some issues and some games that won't run well. Not sure if this has been finally fixed. My latest impression was some games run ok, other games not so well. If there was some breakthrough recently, I am not aware.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Project 64 is very good.

If you want to emulate the N64 on the PC I would certainly recommend a USB controller adapter or maybe a third party N64 USB controller. A small expense, but ultimately essential.
marurun

by marurun Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:12 pm

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:Um... The N64 is not especially difficult to emulate. What are you talking about?

2-I drop on the N64 emulation scene from time to time, and last I checked there were still some issues and some games that won't run well. Not sure if this has been finally fixed. My latest impression was some games run ok, other games not so well. If there was some breakthrough recently, I am not aware.

This is the story of almost every emulation scene. I don't think a single emulator has perfect emulation of every title. Even emulation of a platform as old as the PC Engine still wrestles with the effect of reduced load times on a few titles that anticipate a certain minimum load times to sync certain on-screen elements.

My current understanding is that N64 emulation is pretty darn good for most of the library.

I mean, the alternative is to buy an N64 and, I dunno, buy the entire library?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:19 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Project 64 is very good.

If you want to emulate the N64 on the PC I would certainly recommend a USB controller adapter or maybe a third party N64 USB controller. A small expense, but ultimately essential.

I never had a controller fail on me but I make sure I use them with care, but those analogue sticks are pretty fragile. Better stock up with replacements while they last.

marurun wrote:My current understanding is that N64 emulation is pretty darn good for most of the library.

I mean, the alternative is to buy an N64 and, I dunno, buy the entire library?

As long as the issues are not noticeable I am fine, basically if you can't tell something is wrong its ok. I already own the 64 and most games I want. On other consoles, say like the Saturn, yes you have to accept whatever emulation is there.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:08 pm

N64 is probably my least favorite mainstream console of all time, but every game I have emulated has worked fine. The only issue is, as has been mentioned already, the terrible control scheme. You have 2 choices, buy an adapter and use the real shitty n64 controller, or somehow map it onto a modern controller, neither of them work particularly well, but performance wise, you should be fine.

On topic:

I hate souls games and for the life of me cannot understand the appeal of this god awful genre. The combat is boring, slow, usually the maps are not fun to navigate, everything about these games are just fucking terrible. I hated dark souls, I hated bloodborne, I tried to play the surge today, hated that, got bored with Nioh 17 hours in. They all feel so samey to me.

I love challenging games but these games don't even seem that hard, I usually don't die too much, but I am just never having fun with these games ever. It is just like walk, fight samey enemies using samey patterns with slow as fuck combat, repeat until you find bonfire/the bonfire clone of that game, repeat, try to stay awake, find random boss who usually feels equally grindy, repeat for what seems like forever.

The only souls game that kept me hooked to the end was lords of the fallen, which I know everyone hates, the thing is from my perspective there is no discernable gameplay difference between lords of the fallen and every other game in the genre.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:37 pm

PLAY KING’S FIELD!

Inside joke for long- timers like me.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:32 am

How do you feel about Devil May Cry?
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming