Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:25 pm

NEWS FLASH! There’s a NES port too! It’s awful!

The Gameboy Color port, however, is an astounding technological achievement (even if it’s still not a very good game).
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:00 am

I played the NES version once as a kid as a rental. Couldn't get past the first screen. Gave up.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:52 pm

I love the dragons lair series, I was a little too young to enjoy the original when it was in the arcades but I did have it on Sega CD as a teen and loved it, beat it all the time and it is one of the games on my annual playthroughs, I even bought it on switch so I can have it with me at all times

The sequel was a lot more fun, it is a bit more user friendly since yellow flashes direct you where to go and the whole game is alot more active and fun to watch. I also used to draw huge crowds at the arcade as a teen beating that, random people would even pay for me to play it because they wanted to watch the cartoon, definitely good memories associated with the game.

In terms of console ports:

I did beat both the nes and snes games, neither are great, I did enjoy the snes one a bit though, but will acknowledge its a bad game

the game boy version is beyond atrocious

The gamecube game is solid, it is a 3d action platformer, nothing amazing, but a solid game if you like the lore/graphics of the series but don't enjoy the gameplay
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:57 am

If anyone likes really great 2D run n gun games. Hardcore Mecha is one of those. Released this year on PS4 and PC. One of my surprise games of the year.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:14 pm

Can confirm that Hardcore Mecha is a good time.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:04 am

Let's rank our fave games from the year 1988!
https://tierlists.com/create/top-games-1988

Post your list here or at r/retrogaming.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Got a new gaming mouse for my PC. Gonna absolutely crush these Steam visual novels now.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 am

Dark Souls is an extremely well done game. I am just starting but there is something very familiar with it and games from SNES era. It is like a Genesis/SNES game but in 3D. I hate grinding in games but this one I have been enjoying it as you develop quickly and your play skills improve. It seriously gives the sense of an adventure and an "you are on your own" feeling. Kudos to whomever had the vision for this game, it surely was not directed by the bean counters.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:58 am

For those who want to follow the rankings and discussions on the retro GOTY threads, it seems gamefaqs' Classic Gaming board was the most keen on the idea:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/20 ... g/78200201
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:54 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:Let's rank our fave games from the year 1988!
https://tierlists.com/create/top-games-1988

Post your list here or at r/retrogaming.

what an awesome year. Mario 2, contra, DD 2, and Ninja Gaiden would be my tops, but that year also gave us stuff like blaster master and bionic commando.

I still remember getting Mario 2 for my 8th birthday, and I remember being on vacation and buying Ninja Gaiden at some random store. I could not wait for vacation to end so I could play it. I have pretty amazing memories of just about every game on that list, 88 was a great year for me.
Return to General Gaming