Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 pm

I am trying to get the best picture out of my N64 without the HDMI mod. I am going with the RetroTink, although this video gave me second thoughts, but does it matter if the input was composite or S-Vide? I don't have the 64 S-video cables.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:37 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Metroidvanias

If Momodora is short, I might just throw it in somewhere, then. I don't know, though. I really wasn't very happy with the feel of it.

Timespinners sounds like it could be a winner. I'm really intrigued by that one. I don't know that I like the sound of it having combat similar to Order of Ecclesia, but, the rest sounds pretty cool.

I played about an hour and a half of Hollow Knight, the other night; About enough to get through the fight with the Imposter Knight, and get out of the witch doctor's hut with a new spell. I explored most of that first area, as well, I think. It seems pretty easy so far. I guess that will potentially change, but I went into it thinking I was really going to need to gird myself for some punishment. That hasn't really been the case yet. I'm conflicted by Hollow Knight. I do enjoy the spartan, and somber mood to the game, on one hand, but at the same time it feels a little overwrought. It ends up making the environments feel kind of plain and boring, so far. I don't think that's really helped by a lot of the gameplay. So far it just seems like kind of a pointless endeavor. I guess putting some mystery into your protagonist's motives can be an okay thing to do, but in a game like this, it kind of unincentivizes the process. At least for me--mostly because there's not really much in the way of discovery of loot, or locale. Upgrades seem fairly limited, and all the rewards for getting past something in the environment, to this point, has pretty much just been money, which also seems to have kind of limited application. It feels kind of shallow. It would be one thing if the environment were more interesting, but it's kind of pale, and listless. While I don't hate the mapping, it is really needlessly complicated, and feels like another hindrance to exploration.

I don't really mean to get on Hollow Knight about every little thing, because I actually enjoyed what I played of it. I just felt like a lot of these things would end up making me question why I'm even playing it, and that's already led me to shove it back in priority, as I've gotten more and more sucked into The Outer Worlds the last couple days.
opa
24-bit

by opa Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:25 pm

I've been into 3ds collecting at the moment. I'm probably gonna grab Majora's Mask and look at the other Nintendo selects. I feel like now is the about the best time to grab these before the 3ds stuff is all cleared out. I also managed to reacquire the complete boxed version of Etrian Oddysey IV; really glad about that. All the music is fantastic.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:16 pm

opa wrote:I've been into 3ds collecting at the moment. I'm probably gonna grab Majora's Mask and look at the other Nintendo selects. I feel like now is the about the best time to grab these before the 3ds stuff is all cleared out. I also managed to reacquire the complete boxed version of Etrian Oddysey IV; really glad about that. All the music is fantastic.

Nice. This is definitely the time to buy. I’m doing, basically, the same thing. Only 18 games to go!
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:40 pm

pierrot wrote: Anyway, my question is really how others might prioritize these few games:

Timespinner
Ori and the Blind Forest
The Messenger (is this a metroidvania?)
Guacamelee 2 (I played the first one to 100% completion, along with all the El Infierno challenges, so I did really enjoy that one)
Hollow Knight
Momodora (Is this one a metroidvania?)

I'm just trying to consider how to organize the order of these so that, hopefully, I don't just feel like I'm playing through the same thing over and over.
s.

1. Guacamelee 2 should be your first play, you mentioned you enjoyed the first, the second one is everything the first one was and so much more, a definite must play and one of the best games on the list

2. Ori: I loved ori, it is technically a metroidvania but I like to think of it as a metroidvania lite, the backtracking does not come in to play too much until the very end and it is a beautiful, challenging game with the best save system ever

3. Momodara (assuming you mean reverie under the moonlight, not 1-3): I love this game, the first time I played it I hated it but when I gave it a second chance I fell in love with it, it is a challenging game for sure but well worth sticking out.

4. Hollow Knight: TBH I tried playing this game and could not get into it so don't beat yourself up over not loving it. I won't call it over rated because I didnt really give it a fair shake but it I didn't love it at first either and never went back to it.

5. Messenger: starts out as an amazing ninja gaiden style game, linear action adventure with a great sense of humor and loved every minute of it. halfway through it becomes a tedious metroidvania with a ton of backtracking, I did like the game but definitely not as much as I could have.

-Never played timespinner
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:24 am

why have I not played Phoenix Wright yet
opa
24-bit

by opa Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:16 am

As part of a lot I picked up Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit and Test Drive 5. The former being a worthy game for any racing fan to pick up. I'm not a fan of the tournament mode but the police chase mode is a blast.

Test Drive 5 on the other hand is not worth the plastic they printed it on. I spent probably 3 hours in trying out different cars, alternative settings, different tracks... Nothing I did seemed to help until I adjusted the handling on the vehicles. Once I fine-tuned a car I felt comfortable with I was unfortunately too slow to win a race but I was able to drive for more than three seconds without spinning out.

Despite this the physics of the game are so wonky that you can consider yourself fortunate if you don't wreck in 30 consecutive seconds. Lord help you if you crash because this ain't Mario Kart where Lakitu puts you back on the track pointing, you know, in the direction you're supposed to be going. No way, dude, we can't have that! This is Test Drive! When you crash you respawn in the direction you were last pointing. What the actual F. I've played Commodore 64 racing sims that at least reset my direction to forward!

I would record some of the gameplay to show just how bad it is but it really isn't worth my time. Just know this: if you see a copy of Test Drive 5, walk away.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:why have I not played Phoenix Wright yet

I don’t know. They’re awesome games.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:34 am

I bit the bullet and got RetroTink and s-video cable for around $130 total. Not sure if smart or stupid to pay half the price of Ninendo Switch Lite to enhance the image quality of retro consoles.
Ack

by Ack Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Ok, I took a break from Might & Magic 2, beat 5 games, nearly beat another. It's time for the break to end. Time to go do more dungeon delving.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming