Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:37 pm

I guess I agree that "years count" does not equal retro in the sense "phased technology", but also the ps2 has wired controllers, composite input, and memory cards which is phased out tech and no built in internet connection.

Retro and modern are getting the lines blurred with a lot of older games being released on modern consoles/PCs and the retro aesthetics are making a come back with games like Shovel Knight and Dusk.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:59 pm

I think those lines are blurred regarding aesthetics, not gameplay (for the most part). I can't think of a single NES platformer that has checkpoints every 20 seconds and 500 spike traps per stage.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:06 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote: I can't think of a single NES platformer that has ... 500 spike traps per stage.

Mega Man 2, Wily Stage 3.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:44 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I can't think of a single NES platformer that has checkpoints every 20 seconds and 500 spike traps per stage.

Those games were on the MSX.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:07 pm

MrPopo wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote: I can't think of a single NES platformer that has ... 500 spike traps per stage.

Mega Man 2, Wily Stage 3.

Mega Man 4's level designers were also particularly in love with spikes.
marurun

by marurun Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Honestly, if older systems had higher resolutions and thus more pixels, there would have been more spikes.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:07 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I think those lines are blurred regarding aesthetics, not gameplay (for the most part). I can't think of a single NES platformer that has checkpoints every 20 seconds and 500 spike traps per stage.

I agree, the gameplay is different but I see this as a positive. Personally I find the retro gameplay style ruthless having to die at the late stages and having to play the whole game from the start again.

They were built for a different era when entertainment was scarce and people played a cartridge to death.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:51 pm

So Apple allows Xbox One controllers and PS4 controllers to work on iphone and ipads, if they let Xbox and PS4 stream games too I wonder if that will kill the competitive advantage of the Nintendo Switch.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 pm

RCBH928 wrote:So Apple allows Xbox One controllers and PS4 controllers to work on iphone and ipads, if they let Xbox and PS4 stream games too I wonder if that will kill the competitive advantage of the Nintendo Switch.

It likely doesn't change much. The long and short is that all of the consoles are using Bluetooth for their controllers anyway. Other than MS, platform holders have little or no motivation to create proper drivers for their respective controllers to use them on devices other than their own console (Sony has rolled support into their streaming app). For Apple (or Valve, for that matter), opting to write the support for those controllers themselves gives their customers a wider range of potential products to buy (or use, since they may already own one). It's a nice move. However, it's not bringing anything that wasn't technically already there. More general Bluetooth controllers were already available, Apple has a Steelseries one and a Hori one on their accessories page for instance.

XBox streaming can be done, at least, by a third party app. I think the app MS has for it is only to manage your Xbox stuff (you can stream to Windows though). Sony has an official one on iOS already, and other platforms. If you have the connection to support it, you can stream your PS4 to game away from home, I have a friend that does that routinely, albeit on a Surface I think.

More or less, you can already do that, and either too few people realize they can, or they just don't care.
Return to General Gaming