Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by alienjesus »

alienjesus wrote:I'm trying to remember the name of a game which I'm starting to think I might have dreamt up. There's a chance some of what I remember is a bit wrong, but if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Pretty sure it's an NES title, a pac-man style maze game. I think you're a wizard. You grab jewels i think, instead of dots, and they're in 2 colours. There are magic wands or something you grab, and if you have the red one you can grab the red gems and vice versa.

Let me know if that reminds anyone of anything.

I found this game finally!

It’s on Nintendo DS - it’s one of the fake 8bit games in Game Center CX 2
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Have you noticed how when you go to play an older game, and once it starts you are shocked by how horrific the graphics are when you used to remember them as "realistic" ?

Well, I just played a '98 FPS game called Sin and Diablo 2, and the graphics are amazing and very pleasing. I never played those before so I won't "as I remember them" but I find the graphics more appealing than some modern mobile games, but exactly as I expect from that era. They are not 4K Detroit: Become Human but its pleasing and fun. Although I am not sure if those received graphics enhancements over the originals. Over 20 years ago a friend told me if you want a good game look at the "fun factor" rating in magazines. I feel this still holds true.

To this date, the worst graphics I have seen is Dungeon Keeper. The graphics made me a bit woozy, the art style didn't help either. Its like a crayons painting left in the hot sun for weeks.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:Have you noticed how when you go to play an older game, and once it starts you are shocked by how horrific the graphics are when you used to remember them as "realistic" ?

A lot of times the graphics are worse then you remember them, but your memory is fine! Anything before the 7th generation of home consoles (in most cases) weren't intended to be played on anything other than a good old consumer CRT television. The most jarring example is early 3D, like the PS1 and N64. These games are low poly and low res. When you play them on your 720, 1080 or even 4K HDTV, you're blowing up the image WAY bigger than it's actual resolution. That's why they look worse then you remember, because they actually DID look better the last time you saw them.

PC games are more or less in the same boat. Computer monitors are constantly increasing in resolutions. The older the game, the lower the resolution. Some games can be forced to run in a higher resolution, and being on PC makes it much easier to patch. Solutions and improvements are almost always readily available for the more popular PC games. I don't know about Diablo, but for example if you get the first Fallout from GoG it comes with a resolution patch already applied. SimCity 4 installs with settings that force a higher widescreen resolution (as well as other settings to make it run more stable on modern machines).
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Sometimes you do get games that update the experience though. Like, the current Killer Instinct basically captures what I remember the original being like in the arcade. The included emulated versions of the Arcade games, accurate as they are, wouldn't do that on modern TVs/etc.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

oh hell yeah Imagic's Fathom was on the MSX:
marurun

Post by marurun »

A real warrior carries her trident pinky-extended.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Any one into The Sims series?
I remember this as being a sensation in the year 2000 and I figured I check it out, but not sure if it still holds well. I know there have been many releases and expansions, but I usually like to play the originals as to me the original is the "iconic" version that you should play, but in some cases the sequel is actually an improved-better version like Street Fighter and SFII. I really hate to play sequels(or watch media) that was released just because the first sold well and they are giving more of the same thing.

I am not sure if EA even sells it.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

RCBH928 wrote:Any one into The Sims series?
I remember this as being a sensation in the year 2000 and I figured I check it out, but not sure if it still holds well. I know there have been many releases and expansions, but I usually like to play the originals as to me the original is the "iconic" version that you should play, but in some cases the sequel is actually an improved-better version like Street Fighter and SFII. I really hate to play sequels(or watch media) that was released just because the first sold well and they are giving more of the same thing.

I am not sure if EA even sells it.

The original can still be purchased including all of its expansions. In the case of the Sims, the sequels are infinitely better due to nettae quality of life features and a variety of gameplay mechanics that really flesh out the world. While I personally think the Sims 3 is the best in the series by far, the Sims 4 is currently free on origin.

If you want the traditional experience presented in a unique way, you play the Sims online for free through a private server. That was a long defunct mmorpg that uses the original Sims engine and has you getting roommates, playing games for cash and doing asynchronous gameplay with other players in larger scale jobs.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:While I personally think the Sims 3 is the best in the series by far, the Sims 4 is currently free on origin.

Yep https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/ ... the-sims-4 though it's only going to remain free for less than a week. So, might as well grab it. I think some have had issues claiming it within the Origin client (I did), but the web interface works fine.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Now that I've wrapped up Blood, I decided to finally sit down and start playing Shadow Warrior Redux.

Ugh, it's not good. None of it has aged well. Most of the one liners are terrible, racist, or both, the level design sometimes veers to the horrendous, enemy design is often frustrating...this is a mess.