Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Nintendo was pitching the wii u game pad as a way to do asynchronous gameplay that developers did not get on board with. They saw it as a 2nd screen like a 3ds and not like a second screen for a second style of gameplay that differs from the rest of the players. We never got that awesome tabletop RPG game where the screen was the GM and the players had wiimotes.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I feel like the seeds of the WiiU were planted with GC to GBA connectivity and Pac-Man VS. Except that was the ONE killer app. And nobody really figured out how to go from there.

Also, Noise, I'm not disagreeing that the Switch is also a product of their console legacy. The truth is, I don't see Nintendo having a console/handheld split legacy any longer. The new Nintendo is Switch and smartphone. The Switch is a handheld console crossover and the smartphone is Nintendo IP for everyone! I know Nintendo was planning on running out the 3DS, but I don't think they counted on it cratering as fast as it has. Deep down they had to have known the Switch would cannibalize the 3DS market.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

The generational shift, was supposed to be a sign of a clear technological advancement in systems. Which was usually very clearly defined each generation.

That all changed with the Wii however, which was essentially a repackaged Gamecube with Motion Controls, and yet it competed and won (because it became a mainstream fad, than because of its hardware or software to be honest) against significantly more powerful systems, the PS3 and Xbox 360.

This generation, between the Wii U starting the generation, dying in the middle of it and being replaced by a hybrid system, the significant (compared to anything that came along in the past anyway) upgrades to both the PS4 and Xbox One, console 'generations' have become more loosely defined than ever.

There's a general consensus (as you can see from the Console Generation Wikipedia page) that this generation (eighth) started with the Wii U and and is still on-going, includes the Switch and will probably end whenever the PS5 or Xbox Two (or whatever stupid name Microsoft comes up with) get released.

I personally consider the Switch to be exactly what it is: A continuation of both Nintendo's home console and handheld lines, since I believe dedicated handhelds to be dead, mostly because of the advancements of other emergent technology in Phones and Tablets, and god knows what else we got coming in the pipeline. And because Nintendo has set a path of releasing under-powered home systems since the Wii that I don't think they ever plan to change, since it has (mostly) worked out for them.

Sadly I don't think it matters anymore, since consoles have become very PC-like these days, and playing on PC is more streamlined than ever. One of the big three has pretty much given up on exclusives (Microsoft) and another is putting a lot of focus on Smart Phones (Nintendo), and I will not be surprised if in the not too distant future (let's say next 20 years) we move on to a Universal console, with different versions, by different manufactures and a digital only online store.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Funcom is developing a Dune MMORPG. Please be good please be good please be good.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The PC-98 owns.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SamuraiMegas wrote:https://i.redd.it/vubqe7czjmk21.jpg

New NWC cart found.

That's dedicated thread worthy, IMO. Hell, that's front page article worthy!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Ziggy587 wrote:
SamuraiMegas wrote:https://i.redd.it/vubqe7czjmk21.jpg

New NWC cart found.

That's dedicated thread worthy, IMO. Hell, that's front page article worthy!

What else is there to say about it?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Traffic.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Virtual Boy is more disrespected than deserved.