Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Segata Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:21 pm

The fact that the AfterBurner theme is in Smash Bros is somehow far more surreal to me than Sonic being in the games. Maybe it's because Sonic hasn't felt like old SEGA since Adventure to me and AfterBurner will always be a part of the SEGA we cherish.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
pook99
24-bit

by pook99 Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Saturn was a great system. During that era I was huge into 2d fighters, and every serious fighting game fan owned a modded saturn so they could play arcade perfect ports of stuff like x-men vs street fighter, alpha 3, and more.

I can't say I love saturn more than ps1, but is miles ahead of n64, and is the only gen in history where I prefer a sega console to a nintendo one.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:45 am

I love my Saturn deeply. Its popularity feels like a double-edged sword. On one hand, my middle-school obsession with the console now feels validated as retro gamers enthusiastically support it. But on the other hand, it's usually too expensive to buy games for it.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to grow my collection in years past back when things like Magic Knight Rayearth or Panzer Dragoon Saga didn't completely break the bank.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:49 am

At the very least most imports are cheap. Even Saga. Sadly it's the shmups that are crazy expensive. Assault Suit Leynos is still somewhat reasonable at around 40 bucks but stuff like Salamander and Bulk Slash seem to only be going up.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:48 am

Nemoide wrote:I love my Saturn deeply. Its popularity feels like a double-edged sword. On one hand, my middle-school obsession with the console now feels validated as retro gamers enthusiastically support it. But on the other hand, it's usually too expensive to buy games for it.

Indeed, I know exactly what you mean. Fortunately, I did the bulk of my Saturn collecting long before the prices boomed. I remember my parents going a bit mad that I spent £85 on "just one preowned video game", which was the most I spent on any Saturn game. That game was Panzer Dragoon Saga. Imagine their faces if I had paid today's prices.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:18 am

Damn, Hokuto ga Gotoku (Fist of the Northstar from the Yakuza team) looks incredible, seeing a bunch of Japanese streams up on Twitch right now. You wa Shock is the freaking battle theme too. Really hope Sega localizes this one... but I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00GJr-tdTI
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:40 am

Xeogred wrote:Damn, Hokuto ga Gotoku (Fist of the Northstar from the Yakuza team) looks incredible, seeing a bunch of Japanese streams up on Twitch right now. You wa Shock is the freaking battle theme too. Really hope Sega localizes this one... but I'm not holding my breath.

I am SOOOOO excited for that game! I don't think I've ever been more happy that I know Japanese than for that game :lol:

Edit: AHHHHHHHHHHHH I HAD NO IDEA THE GAME WAS ALREADY OUT!!!!
Now to just resist the urge to throw down the $70 for it immediately when I have so much other stuff to play TwT
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:40 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Damn, Hokuto ga Gotoku (Fist of the Northstar from the Yakuza team) looks incredible, seeing a bunch of Japanese streams up on Twitch right now. You wa Shock is the freaking battle theme too. Really hope Sega localizes this one... but I'm not holding my breath.

I am SOOOOO excited for that game! I don't think I've ever been more happy that I know Japanese than for that game :lol:

Edit: AHHHHHHHHHHHH I HAD NO IDEA THE GAME WAS ALREADY OUT!!!!
Now to just resist the urge to throw down the $70 for it immediately when I have so much other stuff to play TwT

Yesssss, I'm watching some streams on the side and it looks so freaking good. I'm a big fan of the series itself and the Yakuza treatment seems like the greatest fit ever for it. Just a bit weird hearing some of the Yakuza voice actors voicing the mains here too though haha, but oh well. I might consider importing it, but these games being text/menu heavy and it looks quite different from some of Yakuza's formats, it might be hard for me to navigate... :(
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:39 pm

I just started Adventure Islamd II: Aliens in Paradise for the Gameboy. It is vastly superior to its “big brother” on the NES, and it is interesting to me how the portable Adventure Island games are so much better than their console counterparts. Are you guys aware of any other series of that era where the portable versions of games are way better than their console counterparts? I am hard pressed to think of any, but their are probably some out there.
pook99
24-bit

by pook99 Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Nemoide wrote:I love my Saturn deeply. Its popularity feels like a double-edged sword. On one hand, my middle-school obsession with the console now feels validated as retro gamers enthusiastically support it. But on the other hand, it's usually too expensive to buy games for it.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to grow my collection in years past back when things like Magic Knight Rayearth or Panzer Dragoon Saga didn't completely break the bank.

My senior cut day in high school was spent going to a gaming store with my friends and buying panzer dragoon saga, magic knight rayearth, dragon force, and shining force 3. This is when they were all new and I just had to pay retail price for them. I couldn't think of a better way to have spent that day.
Return to General Gaming