Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
marlowe221
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by marlowe221 Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Reprise wrote:The war on torrents and file sharing has largely failed and the only reason why their use is not so prevalent now, is because companies finally successfully created the kind of online models that they hadn't previously had the foresight to consider until piracy forced their hand. Now they offer a lot of convenience to consumers, so people will use iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, Netlix etc. as they're all reasonably priced and super easy and convenient to use. We've also seen similar models with video games, with the likes of the virtual console on the Wii/Wii U/3DS and similar things with PSN and XBLA.

But obviously, if people want to pirate, then they will and video games are different, in some ways, due to the huge library of video games that would simply be lost in time if it weren't for back ups and emulation.

Sites will go and new sites will pop up. I honestly don't see how people can say there's any problems finding ISOs or roms now. I guarantee, even though I'm not really into the scene these days, that I could find a load of sites hosting them right now. I know of at least two major sites people use that are still up, because people in the retro gaming groups I'm a member of on FB are still using them.


Video games are also at another disadvantage - the IP/copyright/trademark is often a big mess. And while that sometimes happens with music, movies, and books, it's a lot less common in other popular forms of media.

That's a big part of the reason there are a lot of retro games that would be lost to time in the first place. That's why there are a lot of games that never seem to come out on the VC/Steam/GOG/XBLA/PSN. It's also part of the reason why we don't see ROMs disappearing off the internet more often - it's often not clear who actually has the right to demand they be taken down outside of some of the big, obvious companies (i.e. Nintendo).
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
User avatar
Reprise
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3457
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Earth

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Reprise Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:26 pm

marlowe221 wrote:Video games are also at another disadvantage - the IP/copyright/trademark is often a big mess. And while that sometimes happens with music, movies, and books, it's a lot less common in other popular forms of media.

That's a big part of the reason there are a lot of retro games that would be lost to time in the first place. That's why there are a lot of games that never seem to come out on the VC/Steam/GOG/XBLA/PSN. It's also part of the reason why we don't see ROMs disappearing off the internet more often - it's often not clear who actually has the right to demand they be taken down outside of some of the big, obvious companies (i.e. Nintendo).


Yup, that's basically it. Well put.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
User avatar
Segata
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2403
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Segata Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:It doesn't matter. It's the kind of thing that as soon as one is shut down one more pops up. What was the big upload site that was shut down? Mega Upload? That was years ago now, and it didn't effect the downloading of copyrighted materials much. It was more of just a hiccup.

MEGA is still around under the name MEGA.
Image
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Image
Twitter Segata
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4567
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:47 pm

Reprise wrote:Sites will go and new sites will pop up. I honestly don't see how people can say there's any problems finding ISOs or roms now..


You can still find them but the hosting sites are getting shadier, the famous and reliable ones keep being pulled down. I am also getting paranoid about viruses and trojan in the current "everything logged, tracked, and shared" internet we live in.

Segata wrote:MEGA is still around under the name MEGA.


how does this still exist? Didn't they like sue the owner and was put into a lot of legal trouble?
User avatar
Reprise
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3457
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Earth

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Reprise Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:22 pm

RCBH928 wrote:You can still find them but the hosting sites are getting shadier, the famous and reliable ones keep being pulled down. I am also getting paranoid about viruses and trojan in the current "everything logged, tracked, and shared" internet we live in.


The sites I know of host files on their own servers, for the most part. They might have some slight restrictions to stop users wrecking the servers, but they're generally ok.

Segata wrote:how does this still exist? Didn't they like sue the owner and was put into a lot of legal trouble?


MEGA was a new site that was launched by Kim Dotcom. It uses encryption and works slightly differently. Kim Dotcom sold/left the site a long time ago and basically disowned it. I have no idea who runs and operates it these days.
Last edited by Reprise on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14295
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Xeogred Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 pm

The Illuminati.
User avatar
funk_Farmer
8-bit
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 am
Location: South Dakota, USA

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by funk_Farmer Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:20 am

A modded Wii is a retro fantasy land. I still have the Wii I bought at launch. The disc loading tray deal took a dump on me and now it won't take discs but that's ok. A sd card and usb stick keep it going. I honestly can't say how much my homebrew Wii means to me. It's the perfect emulation device and has kept my sega genesis gaming going strong. It's given me a way to introduce the young people of this world to games gone past.

It baffles me though that the file size of old games purchased from the virtual console is huge compared to what the file size of a rom is. I know every game from the VC has a bare bones emulator included with it to run the game but still. A person can only fit a handful of old games off the VC and on the Wii channels but right now my 2gb sd card has 3 emulators on it and probably close to 50 games and it's still a ways from being full. Just wish the Wii could've held more games from the Shop and VC back in the day. Still, a softmodded Wii is hands down the best way to emulate old games and play them on a modern tv.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4567
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:04 pm

funk_Farmer wrote:A modded Wii is a retro fantasy land. I still have the Wii I bought at launch. .


This was pretty scary to read. When you mention you bought the Wii on "launch" I thought so what the Wii is pretty recent, but then I realized its been over 11 years ago.

I agree with you, but the problem with the Wii is its too much of a hassle. Components wires, it has a brick, you have to set the Wii sensor, the wiimote, the gamecube controller, and the classic controller. Too many wires and too many accessories.
User avatar
Reprise
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3457
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Earth

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Reprise Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Yeah, I hate the Wii and, to a lesser extent, the Wii U for those reasons. They're so clunky and cumbersome to use. And those bricks are a royal pain in the arse, especially for someone like me with a million consoles. Don't know why Nintendo did that crap, I'd just rather have a marginally larger console with them built in (or what the N64 did with it plugging into the back).

I hope that one day as many of the best Wii and Wii U games end up on the Switch in some form, so I don't have to worry about using a Wii or Wii U much again.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
ESauced
64-bit
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 am

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by ESauced Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Reprise wrote:And those bricks are a royal pain in the arse, especially for someone like me with a million consoles. Don't know why Nintendo did that crap, I'd just rather have a marginally larger console with them built in (or what the N64 did with it plugging into the back).



Or you could go the way of the Xbox One and have a seven pound console plus a power brick.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests