Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Anayo
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Anayo »

Segata wrote:https://nintendoeverything.com/monster-boy-is-getting-a-physical-release-in-north-america/

WOO! Monster Boy finally coming out and physical for Switch! Makes me so happy!

Lately I've been more excited about indie releases rather than AAA. I feel ill-at-ease about it, though, because these are usually download-only. Sometimes they get a physical release later, but not always. Thankfully Owlboy is getting a physical release on Switch in May.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

RCBH928 wrote:That being said I can't deny the N64 4 ports, spaceship-looking 3-handles controller with analogue (was it the first analogue ever?)

No, the Vectrex and Atari 5200 both had analogue control sticks in 1982, and the Vectrex's control stick was not only analogue but self-centering unlike the 5200's analogue control stick.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:Did they ever explain why they went the cartridge route? Wasn't it because it was harder to make bootlegs out of? The disadvantages seem a lot more than the advantages here. Not sure how it was percieved back in the mid-90s.

At the time, if I recall, it was presented more as a load time issue. Which, being fair, is a downside of using discs, especially earlier CD-ROMs. On the other hand, like you mentioned, Nintendo could also keep a much tighter control over production. I think that was also a factor for the smaller format discs that the Gamecube used.

RCBH928 wrote:Which felt more next-gen for you? Saturn, PSX, or N64?

Well, keep in mind that the Saturn and PS1 had been on the market for a year or more by the time the N64 hit stores. I'd still say the N64 stood out more as a technological leap. Which isn't to put down what Sony and Sega had. Coming from a SNES or something, they were a huge leap. Coming from things like 3DO or Jaguar though, which had already been out for a bit, they weren't quite as revolutionary (nevermind for those also gaming on PC). Some of the early games were just ports of games from those systems, if not better quality ports of games also on 16-bit (like Mortal Kombat or NBA Jam).

Meanwhile, consider that consumer 3D acceleration was still a very new thing. In the same couple years or so that the new consoles were hitting, on the PC side, we were seeing add-in boards that could offer enhanced 3D for games that specifically supported them. Stuff like the nVidia NV1 chip or Rendition Verite. Some, like the early ATi ones, were notably slower than using a software renderer, even if they looked a lot nicer. Still, somewhat pricey, enthusiast stuff.
To see Nintendo offering similar tech in commodity hardware at a relatively low price was pretty amazing. Analog control wasn't new, but including it it felt forward looking for 3D. Mario 64 was very, very impressive. At the time, to me, it felt like more of a leap forward.

Again, a few years later, and some of the limitations of Nintendo's hardware and general approach became more apparent, along with the results of the shift in developer support. Early on though, the system was very promising.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:The PSX really looked from the future with the symbols for buttons instead of letters. I was amazed this thing could play audio CDs. Back then if you wanted to play Audio CDs you had to buy a dedicated system. Of course, there was the idea of the memory cards too and the controller with handles to grab. There is a lot more. The fact that you could play a game on a CD was amazing to me, back then I thought games can only be on cartridges kind of like the idea that a movie can only be on VHS (I didn't know about laserdisc).

I had a TurboGrafx-16 w/ CD-ROM attachment for several years before the Saturn and Playstation came out, and I could play CDs on it. In fact, the CD drive itself was removable from the CD base unit and could be connected to the original TG-16 power adapter (which wasn't needed as the CD base unit's power adapter was adequate to drive the entire system) to use as a "portable" CD player. It wasn't much bigger than the Sony Diskman units that came a bit later. I would regularly detach the CD drive from the larger system and take it up to my room at bedtime, plug it into the TG-16 power adapter I had waiting for it, and listen to CDs before bed. In fact, the TG-CD could go CD-G discs as well, though I never owned any to test in it.

In the early years of the 5th generation, I saw the Saturn and Playstation as fairly similar. The Playstation had a little more flash and the Saturn had a little more substance. Once the libraries grew a bit it was clear that, for the most part, Sony was more successful, but Sega still put so much love into the platform. The Saturn was not a neglected system, at least not by Sega, despite low sales outside Japan.

RCBH928 wrote:Did they ever explain why they went the cartridge route? Wasn't it because it was harder to make bootlegs out of? The disadvantages seem a lot more than the advantages here. Not sure how it was percieved back in the mid-90s.

I don't personally know Nintendo's justifications, but this section of the relevant Wikipedia article offers quotes from Nintendo execs among other information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ ... evelopment
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

IIRC they were concerned about piracy and load times.

Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:IIRC they were concerned about piracy and load times.

Chris Alaimo of classic gaming quarterly suggests it had something to do with making the N64 hardware cost less. The way he presents it in his "launch of the N64" video leads me to believe Nintendo was OK with cheap N64's and expensive cartridge games rather than the vice-versa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeHk5ujpZ2s#t=8m0s
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Anayo wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:IIRC they were concerned about piracy and load times.

Chris Alaimo of classic gaming quarterly suggests it had something to do with making the N64 hardware cost less. The way he presents it in his "launch of the N64" video leads me to believe Nintendo was OK with cheap N64's and expensive cartridge games rather than the vice-versa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeHk5ujpZ2s#t=8m0s

Ah, I hadn't seen that. That would make sense.

marurun

Post by marurun »

That Wikipedia article covers this ground. Click the link, darn you!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

marurun wrote:That Wikipedia article covers this ground. Click the link, darn you!

You vastly overestimate my patience to read things.

Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

marurun wrote:That Wikipedia article covers this ground. Click the link, darn you!

My bad. I didn't read that far back in the thread. Although I do low-key want people to subscribe to Classic Gaming Quarterly cause it's a good channel.