Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

Not sure if I heard of that game before, but I will watch the review.

Speaking of Wii, whatever happened to motion controls? Wasn't everyone pushing towards that being the future after Wii's success?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:Speaking of Wii, whatever happened to motion controls? Wasn't everyone pushing towards that being the future after Wii's success?

I think what has generally happened is that the market has moved past them as a primary gimmick, and in turn, developers are under no real pressure to include the functionality if it doesn't make sense for their project. Nintendo and Sony still have as good (or better) support for motion controls as they ever did. Figure though, with the Switch, Nintendo has a harder time leaning on any particular aspect - motion controls aren't as practical for portable use, the touchscreen isn't available when docked, etc. They have games that use motion controls, even heavily (Labo stuff for instance), but pushing them to the degree that the Wii did wouldn't work. For Sony, PSVR uses Move extensively, as motion controls are a natural choice for a lot of VR. The Dual Shock 4 does include a gyroscope as well, just as the Sixaxis/DS3 did, even if it's usually used sparingly (for good reason, I mean, Lair backlash at launch and all).

Probably the only casualty (or major one anyway) has been MS dropping Kinect. Not that, as a company, MS isn't continuing to do stuff along those lines (Windows Mixed Reality, etc).

There are other folks using similar tech too. A lot of LG's TVs use their "magic" remote, similar to Wiimote (or gyro mouse controls way before those ever came out) for navigating menus and webOS.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

isiolia wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Speaking of Wii, whatever happened to motion controls? Wasn't everyone pushing towards that being the future after Wii's success?

For Sony, PSVR uses Move extensively, as motion controls are a natural choice for a lot of VR.

Very much this. Motion controls never really went away. It's just they've become a part of VR to such an extent that they are never mentioned anymore as just "motion controls." It's all VR these days, baby!
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Have any of you played Pandora’s Tower (Wii)? I really, really enjoyed it when I played it a few years ago, and I remember commenting that it’s what I would expect from a good 3D Castlevania game.

Never even heard of it, but I will definitely check it out
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pook99 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Have any of you played Pandora’s Tower (Wii)? I really, really enjoyed it when I played it a few years ago, and I remember commenting that it’s what I would expect from a good 3D Castlevania game.

Never even heard of it, but I will definitely check it out

It rules. Awesome gameplay. Great, Shadow of the Collussus-style boss battles. Best of all...a time limit mechanic that REALLY matters. I really enjoyed it, and I hope that you do too.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Shadow of the Collussus-style boss battles.

I have become-- intrigued.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Nope, but I own it and it looks good. I loved Xenoblade but was disappointed by The Last Story. It'll be interesting to see how Pandora's Tower is... I get ICO / Nier vibes from it on the outside.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Here’s a review that captures my feelings pretty well:

https://www.destructoid.com/review-pand ... 1814.phtml
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Pandora's Tower was the one out of that trio of games I always really wanted. Have to get on it someday.

EDIT: There's a Switch remake of Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town being made...but with Chibi graphics. I'm both super excited and super put off at the same time.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

The Sinking City looks like one of those hidden-gems obscure titles with very unique experience, Dreamcast-ish if you may 8) . I was surprised Gamespot gave it 3/10 but IGN 7.8/10 . For some reason and for years Gamespot always gave lower scores than IGN, its like they agreed on it.

I can't imagine how the developers feel after working hard for a couple of years on a game only to get a review telling you it basically sucks.