Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by MrPopo »

pook99 wrote:@MrPopo: I love DMC, it is one of my favorite modern day games series, I also tend to love DMC clones (stuff like bayonetta and Metal Gear rising revengence)

@bonesnap: for me high difficulty is extremely compelling, the feeling of dying/retrying and feeling immensely satisfied when you finally make it through a tough part is just unmatched, that is why I tend to gravitate towards difficult games, but the souls game don't feel hard, just annoying. I do think the length plays a part in that, super meat boy was tough as nails, but there was always a constant feeling of progression and the end of the levels were always in sight, this kept me wanting to come back for more. In souls games it just feels like a chore.

Yeah, I'm not shocked to find that DMC is a favorite of yours while you find Souls to be boring. The loop on them is that you need to always be ready and on your toes for the enemy to nail you, and then you punish it. If at any point you get cocky the game does not hesitate to put you in your place. Theoretically, you should have the game completely figured out by the end of the first couple bosses in a Souls game, but the fact that the moment to moment execution never lets up is where the difficulty comes in.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm the complete opposite, the DMC/Bayonetta style character action games are usually kind of boring to me gameplay wise. I feel like I'm just mashing buttons waiting for the next cutscene. I did get a kick out of Metal Gear Rising though because slashing stuff up is just good fun.

Story is not always the most important aspect to me in video games, I appreciate a good story as much as the next guy but I think I've always been a more of an immersive gamer, and I think that's where stuff like the Souls games grab me where the character action games feel more like I'm watching an anime that makes me hit buttons. I do usually end up enjoying watching playthroughs of those games more than I enjoy playing them myself because the spectacle of them is usually entertaining. I also enjoy a good arcade game purely on the basis of mechanics with zero story or immersion but I digress.

In regards to all genres being "samey" I think the more you hate something the more samey it's likely going to feel to you. That's just the way brains work. It's why you've always got that one person crying "they're all the same thing" about every genre in every bit of media that exists. The more you care about something, the more nuance you're going to take note of. The same can be said for finding gameplay repetitive. Most gameplay in most games is at its core repetitive, but we pave over that as long as we're having fun. If we're not having fun, that repetitiveness is more obvious and annoying.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

@pook99

I agree the moveset is limited, but the variety comes in:

1-different weapons give different move set
2-Each enemy is dealt with in a different way. its not just the attack but also the defence, parrying, and rolling away. The variety is in the technique.
3-Some enemies have specific weakness like fire or lightening so that adds variety instead of the 4 or 5 movesets.
4-Sometimes its the environment, fighting in open space give you advantage or disadvantage.

I don't like difficult games because that usually means unfair or annoyance or frustration. Dark Souls is one of the those games that for the most part you can blame yourself if something goes wrong, but not always. The good part is that you can always try again instead of having to play through a whole level just to give it one more try, something I really hated about platformers in earlier generations. If you lose your last life, you have to go through the whole game.

I didn't mean games in the same genre play the same way, I meant same game series. Like Assassin Creed which I am not sure how it still holds up in popularity with people. It was really fun the first time around, but by now feels like watching the same movie for the 10th time.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Gunstar Green wrote:
In regards to all genres being "samey" I think the more you hate something the more samey it's likely going to feel to you. That's just the way brains work. It's why you've always got that one person crying "they're all the same thing" about every genre in every bit of media that exists. The more you care about something, the more nuance you're going to take note of. The same can be said for finding gameplay repetitive. Most gameplay in most games is at its core repetitive, but we pave over that as long as we're having fun. If we're not having fun, that repetitiveness is more obvious and annoying.

I think this sums it up nicely. Lords of the fallen was the first souls like game I played, I enjoyed it enough to finish it but did not fall in love with it. So then when I branched out to other games I just felt like I was reliving lords of the fallen which bored me quickly.

On a random side note, salt and sanctuary is one of my all time favorite indie games, it is the only 2d souls games I ever played but I was absolutely hooked on that from start to finish.

Have any of you souls fans played salt and sanctuary? If so, what were your thoughts and how does it fit into the hierarchy of souls games?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Salt and Sanctuary is weird because of all the verticality it adds but not giving you platformer-style physics. I contrast it with Blasphemous, which is a similarly hard platformer that focuses on parrying and dodging in combat, but the platforming feels like a Castlevania game. I think that executes better on the "let's have a 2D game with Souls-esque combat".
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

MrPopo wrote:Salt and Sanctuary is weird because of all the verticality it adds but not giving you platformer-style physics. I contrast it with Blasphemous, which is a similarly hard platformer that focuses on parrying and dodging in combat, but the platforming feels like a Castlevania game. I think that executes better on the "let's have a 2D game with Souls-esque combat".

good to know, blasphemous is in next months humble monthly which means I will have it in less than a week, I will definitely check it out
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Your man just got a new gaming PC. It's a cheap lower-end one, but I needed something, as my previous one (about 10 years old) just died. This thing isn't powerful but it's gonna run my Steam VNs just fine.

Also tried out DS emulation for the first time today. Feels kinda surreal to emulate a system so new/recent.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Bone, I might be able to point you to some older FPS on Steam if you like.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Your man just got a new gaming PC. It's a cheap lower-end one, but I needed something, as my previous one (about 10 years old) just died. This thing isn't powerful but it's gonna run my Steam VNs just fine.

Also tried out DS emulation for the first time today. Feels kinda surreal to emulate a system so new/recent.

What emulator are you using?

I hate DS emulation for the most part, its not that the games dont run well but I the dual screen stuff can be awkward when not playing on the actual system and the touch screen games dont translate well(unless you have a touch screen monitor I guess). Try playing Contra 4 on it to see what I mean, there is just a little lack of synchronization between the top screen and bottom screen which makes dodging enemy fire/shooting enemies, between screens virtually impossible. It is frustrating because I still own 2 DS's but the L/R buttons are broken on each of them making it incredibly frustrating to play many games.

This is not an issue for all games of course, stuff like the castlevania series runs great as the second screen is just a map/inventory system, but there are some games that just dont translate well, but I agree that it is cool that it even exists.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Also tried out DS emulation for the first time today. Feels kinda surreal to emulate a system so new/recent.

I felt the same way emulating Wii and PS3. I had a brief moment of feeling like I was doing what today's kids will be doing in a few decades to relive nostalgia.