Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I am interested in this. I have a 2014 MacBook. Would I be able to use this program to run some WIN98 games?
marurun

Post by marurun »

WINE isn’t an emulator, really. Emulators try to replicate different hardware via software, but WINE translates operating system calls. Intel-powered Macs (and Linux boxes) are running the same fundamental hardware as a Windows machine, but they don’t have the Windows libraries and routines that Windows games and software call upon to perform common system functions. WINE is translating those Windows-specific function calls into native calls that Linux and MacOS can fulfill. So a game calls a totally made up “WinDisplayJunkHere” call and provides the data to display, and WINE translates that call into “POSIXdisplayShit”.

Edit: And just to clarify, that made-up example is WAY over-simplified. Many OS calls don't have 1-to-1 equivalents that function identically, so data has to be rearranged, sometimes multiple calls need to be substituted, etc... It's messy.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:WINE isn’t an emulator, really.

Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's a "recursive backronym."
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:WINE isn’t an emulator, really.

Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's a "recursive backronym."

And GNU's Not Unix, but I don't always trust names to appropriately represent themselves.

And you could argue, at a certain level, that it's emulating software calls, for some definition of emulation, but that's kind of getting out into the weeds.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Super interesting discussion, guys, but the question remains, “Can prfsnl_get play System Shock 2 on a MacBook?” :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Super interesting discussion, guys, but the question remains, “Can prfsnl_get play System Shock 2 on a MacBook?” :lol:

Precisely which model is it so I can look it up.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Super interesting discussion, guys, but the question remains, “Can prfsnl_get play System Shock 2 on a MacBook?” :lol:

The answer is yes. On WineHQ.org they have a database of compatible apps with ratings going from Platinum -> Gold -> Silver , then Bronze that means it works with problems and finally garbage. System Shock 2 has a rating of Platinum. WineHQ Ratings. .

You can use the free WineHQ or the commercial Crossover app from Codeweavers.com . The difference is that Codeweavers makes it more user friendly with support. Also Apple has dropped support for 32-bit apps so those won't work on Catalina and later via Wine but it works with Crossover somehow. All Crossover purchases send money to support the Wine project.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:WINE isn’t an emulator, really. Emulators try to replicate different hardware via software, but WINE translates operating system calls. Intel-powered Macs (and Linux boxes) are running the same fundamental hardware as a Windows machine, but they don’t have the Windows libraries and routines that Windows games and software call upon to perform common system functions. WINE is translating those Windows-specific function calls into native calls that Linux and MacOS can fulfill. So a game calls a totally made up “WinDisplayJunkHere” call and provides the data to display, and WINE translates that call into “POSIXdisplayShit”.

Edit: And just to clarify, that made-up example is WAY over-simplified. Many OS calls don't have 1-to-1 equivalents that function identically, so data has to be rearranged, sometimes multiple calls need to be substituted, etc... It's messy.

What makes me wonder is that if WINE works so well why is it not any more popular between Mac and Linux community that seem to complain about lack of apps and games. It seems obscure compared to console emulators than run on everything now days. The other thing is that if its so simple to run Windows games on Mac/POSIX systems why do not publishers just put a WINE wrapper on their games and sell them as Linux/Mac games like they do with DOSBOX? There are popular games that are listed as Windows only yet they work just as well on Mac/Linux like Max Payne, Quake, and Serious Sam. It even runs Crysis :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

Publishers don't want to troubleshoot all the potential issues. If they sell it with a WINE wrapper it means they are explicitly supporting the game's use. They have to test thoroughly and then deal with problems users have all with this open-source project that they don't really control. Most publishers don't want to deal with that. It's a hot mess for a commercial entity (in a way it's not for an open source project which is not officially offering a commercial product).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

S-W-E-E-T!

I have copied most of my old PC game discs to my MacBook, and this may help me get the rest on there too. Thanks, guys!