Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

Whatever happened to the Pokemon Go craze?
marurun

Post by marurun »

It is still going, just in a more sustainable form.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Also, you know, less people going outside these days.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Mario 35 is hella fun. Took me 7 tries to get first place and get a feel for it. Now I can get first place almost every time. /flex
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:Also, you know, less people going outside these days.

The hype has dropped big time even before COVID19, its a 2016 game. The other thing that comes to mind that competitors usually pick up on something if they see it successful but I haven't noticed any one copying Pokemon GO. Compare that with online competitive FPS and you will see what I mean.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

RCBH928 wrote:

The hype has dropped big time even before COVID19, its a 2016 game. The other thing that comes to mind that competitors usually pick up on something if they see it successful but I haven't noticed any one copying Pokemon GO. Compare that with online competitive FPS and you will see what I mean.

'I don't see anyone playing it or talking about it so it must mean it isnt relevant anymore' is your main point of conversation, despite the fact that every time a quick google can show you that is still performing very well recently, and that there are clones and competitors out there - they just arent as successful.

Performance:
https://gamedaily.biz/article/1795/pokemon-go-surpasses-36-billion-in-lifetime-revenue#:~:text=In%202020%2C%20the%20location%2Dbased,continues%20to%20dominate%20sales%20charts.

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/74297/superdata-revenues-monthly-july-2020/

Clones: https://www.thethings.com/pokemon-go-ripoffs-that-really-arent-ok/
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:

Well, let's see, there's Niantic's own Wizards Unite, which is a Harry Potter take on Pokemon Go. There's also, in Japan, Dragon Quest Walk. Pokemon Go is NOT an easy game to knock off, because you have to have LOTS of map data and that map data needs to be good. But given that Pokemon Go is still raking in cash and that Niantic has 3 different games in the genre all staying afloat (Ingress, Pokemon Go, Wizards Unite) and that Dragon Quest Walk is considered BETTER at the genre than Pokemon Go even though it's Japan only, I'd say there are no major worries just yet. Niantic has handled dealing with the pandemic just fine.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Isn't there also a Witcher take on it?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

alienjesus wrote:'I don't see anyone playing it or talking about it so it must mean it isnt relevant anymore' is your main point of conversation, despite the fact that every time a quick google can show you that is still performing very well recently, and that there are clones and competitors out there - they just arent as successful.

Performance:
https://gamedaily.biz/article/1795/pokemon-go-surpasses-36-billion-in-lifetime-revenue#:~:text=In%202020%2C%20the%20location%2Dbased,continues%20to%20dominate%20sales%20charts.

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/74297/superdata-revenues-monthly-july-2020/

Clones: https://www.thethings.com/pokemon-go-ripoffs-that-really-arent-ok/

There was a time when Pokemon Go was so popular or "hip" it was even mentioned by politicians including Hillary Clinton. As a guy who follows videogames daily, I haven't heard much about it recently so I asked. Numbers don't lie of course, having the second best revenue month means they are not affected by COVID19. Game probably continues to make business but away from the media headlines.

Also, I made the mistake of thinking Pokemon was a Nintendo IP I just realized Nintendo has nothing to do with it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The reason you don’t hear much about Pokémon Go is because it has become normalized. Once the bizarre novelty wore off it just became another mobile game.

Also, Nintendo is a part-owner of the Pokémon IP. They do, in fact, partially control and own it. It is a joint IP in which Nintendo is but one partner, but arguably the most powerful. Nintendo can probably veto any Pokémon thing they don’t like.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile