Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by noiseredux »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Well Japan has tested streaming resident evil 7 and assassins creed odyssey on switch and it has gone very well supposedly. My experience here in the states streaming assassins creed on my pc was absolutely glowing so it is not outside the realm of possibility that this may be the future for the system.

It's not the "streaming" part that would blow my mind - it's the idea of the Switch playing Xbox games that I'm fantasizing over. If the Switch was a home console x portable hybrid that has first party Nintendo games, AND the ability to play Xbox One games on the go, then it would be kind of the best console of all time.

@isiolia: Absolutely agree on the licensing. I think things like seeing my Xbox Live account logged into the Switch for Minecraft, or seeing those commercials that highlight Switch and Xbox One players in games together just sort of got my mind going about how awesome it could be if MS and Nintendo actually went hard on helping each other out. Streaming Xbox games to Switch would mean possible sales for MS (like the portable option of playing on Switch could give the Xbox copy of a game preference over the PS4 version), while the functionality could possibly sell even more Switch consoles. Again, I know I'm dreaming but it would be amazing.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Dudes, I don't think I've EVER seen Shovel Knight drop below 20% off on Steam sales for years now. Have you guys ever seen it go lower? lol

I played and beat the launch release on the Wii U back when it was new. But I'd love to play it again and check out all the extra stuff now, sounds like entire new expansions worth and whatnot?

It's totally worth the ~$20 it's sitting on sale now but yeah, just kind of crazy I've never seen this one discounted much at all.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Xeogred wrote:Dudes, I don't think I've EVER seen Shovel Knight drop below 20% off on Steam sales for years now. Have you guys ever seen it go lower? lol

I played and beat the launch release on the Wii U back when it was new. But I'd love to play it again and check out all the extra stuff now, sounds like entire new expansions worth and whatnot?

It's totally worth the ~$20 it's sitting on sale now but yeah, just kind of crazy I've never seen this one discounted much at all.

The big reason as to why it hasn't seen much of a discount was its consolidation last year into the treasure trove package as an official release. Went up in price and included the DLC.

As for the DLC it is 100% worth it. Plague knight feels a lot like the original but specter knight is a huge revamp and feels so good! It is worth every penny considering the DLC is packaged at 10 bucks a piece individually.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Dudes, I don't think I've EVER seen Shovel Knight drop below 20% off on Steam sales for years now. Have you guys ever seen it go lower? lol

The big reason as to why it hasn't seen much of a discount was its consolidation last year into the treasure trove package as an official release. Went up in price and included the DLC.

As for the DLC it is 100% worth it. Plague knight feels a lot like the original but specter knight is a huge revamp and feels so good! It is worth every penny considering the DLC is packaged at 10 bucks a piece individually.

Two whole expansions? I had a hunch they've been hard at work and the "Treasure Trove" edition that it's become has come a long way since I played it at launch!

Can you play Plague/Specter right out of the gate separately?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Yep you can play them right out the gate! King knight is the next expansion which should be coming out very soon. After that we will be done with the shovel knight content outside of the upcoming fighting game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I don't know if it's me, the games I play, the settings, or my TV, but practically every PS2 game I play is a dark as hell. Which is weird, because I remember them being brighter than the PS360 gen overall.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I've spent some time messing around with all sorts of games on the Super Everdrive X5, over the last few days, and while I tend to get this pervading sense of "Fisher-Price" from the SNES/SFC library (maybe Hagane not withstanding), the Super Everdrive X5 is nice, and the loading may as well be instant, because I don't notice any perceptible difference in loading between the Super Everdrive, the N8, or my Mega Everdrive. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who doesn't mind the lack of compatibility with special chip games. It's certainly not an issue for me, since there aren't that many of those games in the first place, and I have a lot of the ones that I would even remotely care about.

The unfortunate thing is that Radical Dreamers won't load up at all, and Treasure Conflix (another Satellaview Square game that looks kind of interesting) will load but all of the text, and character sprites are corrupted. Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero seems to work fine, though. Not sure what to do about the other two, but the big thing is I don't want to play them translated. So--.

Anyone ever played Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban before? I did not play much of it, but it seems like it could be cool. It also seems like it could be a nightmare, because it seemed like actually hitting enemies, without taking damage, was not exactly intuitive. I'm curious if anyone has played enough of it to form a solid opinion, and what that opinion was. It seems to be a Sunsoft vehicle, but it kind of felt like something that could have branched off of the Cho Aniki license, kind of like Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I don't know if it's me, the games I play, the settings, or my TV, but practically every PS2 game I play is a dark as hell. Which is weird, because I remember them being brighter than the PS360 gen overall.

Maybe it's the cables?

pierrot wrote:I would definitely recommend [Super Everdrive X5] for anyone who doesn't mind the lack of compatibility with special chip games. It's certainly not an issue for me, since there aren't that many of those games in the first place, and I have a lot of the ones that I would even remotely care about.

Oh yeah, it's a solid choice. Of the games with special chips, a lot of them are shit anyway. Of the worthwhile ones, many of them are still affordable to just get the real cart.

But it's a shame it looks like Krikzz only has the Super Everdrive X5 model now. He use to have a model that included an additional FPGA that supported the DSP chips, and it was only ~$30 more than the base model IIRC. It was a good stop-gap between the base model Super Everdrive and the Sd2snes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

RGT: I know that 50 foot HDMI cables exist... but would it be bad for gaming? Like, is a longer cable going to introduce lag or other issues?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

A 50ft HDMI cable should not introduce any perceptible lag. An HDMI cable that long should be an active cable rather than a passive. That means it has a bit of extra circuitry built into the cable to help the signal go over longer distances. That circuitry can fail so the only downside is having an extra point of failure. The chance of it failing should be pretty slim if the cable is well made from a trusted brand.