Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I'd Play Asia the go to for imports? Because Amazon seems to be missing some of the stuff I'm after. I kind of don't want to wait on the shipping though...

I usually look at Amazon first because they sometimes have new stuff for crazy cheap for no reason (like Gaist Crusher). After that I look at eBay, because their prices are usually way better than my third choice, Play-Asia. There are some things I'd definitely wanna buy new so I can only buy from them, so if you wanna definitely buy new those guys are the place to be, but I'd always try my damndest to use eBay before Play-Asia just because it's often SO much cheaper.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:
1: I hate that we are already hearing all the next gen talk. I really don't feel like we need it yet, and it makes me think some of the stuff I'm waiting on will be gimped on current gen while they make the "real" version for next gen.

I'm with you here. I don't really see the need for a "next console generation" at this point. Especially since the PS4 Pro and X1X exist.

And that's the thing that gets me - how are they going to make a console that's better than the Pro/1X at an affordable price in the next year or two? Maybe they can, but both of those are near the $500 mark, a price point that hasn't historically worked very well at a console launch.

Along the same lines, I have never really understood the push to 4K, or at least how fast it's being pushed. I mean, 4K is wonderful and it looks great and all. But the hardware just isn't there yet outside of enthusiast (and pretty expensive) PC parts. At least not from a point of view of truly mainstream adoption. Even the Pro/1X are using some fancy rendering techniques to display a 4K image (often 1600p and not actually 4K). I don't say that to criticize them in any way - they are doing very impressive things for their price point and the games I have seen look great. But that's kind of the point, isn't it? The hardware just isn't there yet.

The state of 4K content isn't much better. Cable TV isn't broadcast in 4K, with the exception of some sports. Streaming services like Netflix and Hulu have a little 4K content, but not all that much. Meanwhile the internet infrastructure to support 4K streaming doesn't exist in a lot of the USA (again, if you're looking at things from a point of view of mainstream adoption).

I would LIKE 4K to be the standard for visual media, but it just ain't there yet.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Lotuss5

Post by Lotuss5 »

Smash Bros of Wii U I find it entertaining with too many variety of characters that can be customized and put predetermined clothes something that seems a bit dismissive is that the game does not have "history" mode so to speak because people were very attracted in this aspect in previous games but in other aspects I think it's perfect.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I'd Play Asia the go to for imports? Because Amazon seems to be missing some of the stuff I'm after. I kind of don't want to wait on the shipping though...

I usually look at Amazon first because they sometimes have new stuff for crazy cheap for no reason (like Gaist Crusher). After that I look at eBay, because their prices are usually way better than my third choice, Play-Asia. There are some things I'd definitely wanna buy new so I can only buy from them, so if you wanna definitely buy new those guys are the place to be, but I'd always try my damndest to use eBay before Play-Asia just because it's often SO much cheaper.

Fair enough. I'm always worried about eBay, and Amazon seems to be random on what it has- they have the GOTY Bloodborne from the U.K. (Though the screenshot looks more like the Dubai version now) but don't have the Asian edition of Nioh: Complete edition.

How is shipping from Amazon Japan? I actually just thought about checking there.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:How is shipping from Amazon Japan? I actually just thought about checking there.

SUPER arbitrary on what they'll actually be able to ship, and their prices aren't very good either. It's a store of last resort for me. Play-Asia just about always has what Amazon Japan has at a similar price, and Amazon Japan is just really weird about what they'll actually be able to ship internationally. Another site worth checking out, but not a very reliable one.

And eBay isn't Amazon, but they have a TON of buyer protections (almost too many, quite frankly) and a lot of sellers that are basically new-in-box specialty stores. If you're trying to save money, not checking out eBay is definitely doing yourself a disservice.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

One advantage of Amazon Japan is that the stuff they do ship comes super fast (at least it does for me). I use them for my music CD imports.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:How is shipping from Amazon Japan? I actually just thought about checking there.

Is it possible to order directly from Amazon Japan nowadays? I always had to use a courier service like FromJapan to get stuff from there.

Anyways, shipping is expensive and will double the price of what you want to buy. But you can save a ton of money from what you buy there. Sure, I paid a very high price for my SFC games but when I got them for 6-10€ each it's hard to complain!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Gonna have to figure out the best bet... sounds like Amazon US first, then eBay, then Play Asia, assuming it's not a Play Asia exclusive or whatever.

Also, just FYI, the Capcom beat em up bundle is getting a physical release in Japan- and while you don't really need it for beat em ups, it looks like there's an English option based on the trailer.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I'm getting really damned frustrated with the lack of necessary files like manuals and intros in the Steam releases of games. I just played Loom (a great game by the way) and was lost for most of the plot because the Steam directory didn't have the audio drama that serves as the setup for the game. Hell, I didn't even know there was one until I was looking up hints. Speaking of hints, I'm taken to my next problem: The directory doesn't have the Book of Patterns. I know it's not that useful as a PDF file, but it still should've been included since it would've helped me understand how the game is played. Thinking about it, it's kind of a missed opportunity as the PDF file could've easily been edited to have text boxes where the spaces are, allowing players to type in the combos for the drafts.

Also, Police Quest has a copy protection puzzle where the protagonist, Sonny Bonds, forgets his locker combination but remembers that it had the same numbers as a local sports game score. To get this number the player needs to read the Gazette included in the game box. Of course, the Gazzete isn't included in the Steam release. I know it's not that big of a deal, but is it too much to ask that I be able to play the game with what's included in the digital release without having to hit up GameFAQs to get the answers to a puzzle that's required to pass a copy protection check? I was honestly surprised that Space Quest Collection had the manual with Space Quest VGA's sequence codes, and that's just fucking sad.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I'm more than willing to say that a huge part of people finding old games "unplayable" is to not reading manuals, not being able to read old manuals or not even knowing there's such a thing as a manual you should read.

So yeah, stuff like that is terrible :/
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/