Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by marurun »

No, cell phones did not displace arcades. Consoles, PCs, and changing social patterns did. Mobile games are really their own thing.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Cell phones killed arcades? What!?

Arcades were already dying when cell phones looked like this.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:The Arcade popularity loss in the mall has been attributed to home gaming. I think the reason more due to the cell phone; the gaming and social media. Why pop quarters in the arcade when you have one in your back pocket?

Games on the home PC and game console still more powerful, but there are tons of phone games that are more then just casual. Look at the obsession of the Pokemon game last year. SHMUPS, Platformers even Twinstick games can be played with the touch screen when coded right.
Wait... are you saying that arcades went in to decline because of cell phones? If so... huh.

No, the majority of the arcades in the early days of cell phones were done in by home consoles and PC gaming. I am talking about the Arcades in the last few years. Think about it, how many sitting on the benches playing with their Android phones, iPhones and the Arcade in the corner of the mall near empty. Even in dedicated places like Dave and Busters; the percentage staring at their cell phones instead up spending money on the game token cards. Not saying phone gaming are good or bad, just where the video game market while in public is today.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Segata wrote:ME:A has really badly written dialogue and acting and Brad Shoemaker of Giant Bomb said it's the most glitch ridden AAA game he's ever played and he wasn't trying to be hyperbolic. He said more so than Bethesda games. on The GB podcast he really drove that point home. Vinny is also a huge ME fan and so he streamed it and man that game bugged out a bunch. He was pretty saddened by the game. On the plus side the shooting is really good. I think it's a try at your own risk situation and wait for a steam sale.

ME: A isn't on Steam
Retrogameresource
16-bit

Post by Retrogameresource »

Bushido Blade needs to be revived. I loved it before. I recently played it, and I am completely addicted all over again.
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Retrogameresource wrote:Bushido Blade needs to be revived. I loved it before. I recently played it, and I am completely addicted all over again.

There is essentially a new Bushido Blade out on Steam. Slice Dice and Rice. Name sucks but it's pretty much Bushido Blade.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
Segata wrote:ME:A has really badly written dialogue and acting and Brad Shoemaker of Giant Bomb said it's the most glitch ridden AAA game he's ever played and he wasn't trying to be hyperbolic. He said more so than Bethesda games. on The GB podcast he really drove that point home. Vinny is also a huge ME fan and so he streamed it and man that game bugged out a bunch. He was pretty saddened by the game. On the plus side the shooting is really good. I think it's a try at your own risk situation and wait for a steam sale.

ME: A isn't on Steam

Forgot EA does their own thing lol thanks for reminding me. Then wait for an Origin sale or PSN sale or XBL sale. Whichever.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Wait... are you saying that arcades went in to decline because of cell phones? If so... huh.

I think he means dedicated "play-area" in malls, not arcades as in the 80s/early 90s.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:btw, does Diablo has a lot of grinding? I really hate gonig back and forth, backtracking, and battling same enemies a hundred times.

Yes and no.

A lot of the enduring appeal stems from getting loot and creating effective builds. Getting to max level tends to take more than one playthrough of the game, and past that you'd tend to get strong enough to notch the difficulty up and see yet more powerful gear drop. DIII has mission based modes and other things though, once you've done the campaign, so there are more options than just New Game Plus. Still, you are in most ways replaying parts of the game over and over. To be fair, dungeons are randomized, as are many enemy traits on the higher difficulties, so it's not entirely the same.

However, that's for the folks playing for months/years on end working to maximize stats or get a high ranking in season play or something. If you just want to blast through the campaign on default difficulty, you don't need to go out of your way for much at all. It's not very hard, and won't take super long to roll the credits on. Still a bit repetitive perhaps, but you won't need to see areas more than once or be particularly concerned with your build.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Clicking. It has a lot of clicking.