Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

I just started playing MGS 2 in the hope of continuation of the series, so the far the game is meh and the controls feel stupid. I don't remember much of the first one but I remember it was fun.

When I launched the game it asked me if I want to play Tanker, Plant or Tanker+Plant. So I chose the 3rd option. My question is, is this whole game about infiltrating a Ship and then a Plant? I thought it was going to have many stages and levels. In all honesty I thought the ship was going to be a "tutorial" level, but it seems getting longer and longer. Feel free to answer with a "spoiler" BBCode.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:When I launched the game it asked me if I want to play Tanker, Plant or Tanker+Plant. So I chose the 3rd option. My question is, is this whole game about infiltrating a Ship and then a Plant? I thought it was going to have many stages and levels. In all honesty I thought the ship was going to be a "tutorial" level, but it seems getting longer and longer. Feel free to answer with a "spoiler" BBCode.

Tanker is kinda-sorta the tutorial, but it also functions as the prologue, and was released as the demo prior to that (with Zone of the Enders). It's something you can spend a bit of time with, or something you can clear in little time if you're familiar with it. MGS3 has a similar opening section in the Virtuous Mission, and Ground Zeroes kinda serves the same role for MGSV (there's also the intro sequence, but that's a lot more linear than the rest of the game).
Plant is the primary game which is largely set on a multi-platform offshore rig. While it doesn't skip all over the world like MGS4 does, it's far more substantial than the Tanker section.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:When I launched the game it asked me if I want to play Tanker, Plant or Tanker+Plant. So I chose the 3rd option. My question is, is this whole game about infiltrating a Ship and then a Plant? I thought it was going to have many stages and levels. In all honesty I thought the ship was going to be a "tutorial" level, but it seems getting longer and longer. Feel free to answer with a "spoiler" BBCode.

Tanker is kinda-sorta the tutorial, but it also functions as the prologue, and was released as the demo prior to that (with Zone of the Enders). It's something you can spend a bit of time with, or something you can clear in little time if you're familiar with it. MGS3 has a similar opening section in the Virtuous Mission, and Ground Zeroes kinda serves the same role for MGSV (there's also the intro sequence, but that's a lot more linear than the rest of the game).
Plant is the primary game which is largely set on a multi-platform offshore rig. While it doesn't skip all over the world like MGS4 does, it's far more substantial than the Tanker section.

Thank you, speaking of MSGV. I thought the story ended on 4 and V was just an extension... am I wrong? I don't want to read too much into the series so I don't face spoilers.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

RCBH928 wrote:Thank you, speaking of MSGV. I thought the story ended on 4 and V was just an extension... am I wrong? I don't want to read too much into the series so I don't face spoilers.

4 is the end of the story. V is another prequel that takes place before, and sets up, the MSX original. It's a sequel of sorts to Peacewalker on the PSP.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:Thank you, speaking of MSGV. I thought the story ended on 4 and V was just an extension... am I wrong? I don't want to read too much into the series so I don't face spoilers.

Yes and no. It's more that a lot of the later releases are set earlier in the timeline. For that, the games progress as MGS3 -> Portable Ops (non-canon but still referenced) -> Peace Walker -> MGSV Ground Zeroes -> MGSV The Phantom Pain -> Metal Gear -> Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake / Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GBC one, non canon alternate sequel) -> MGS -> MGS2 -> MGS4 -> Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (more of a spinoff, but it is set after 4 with a few cameos).

I guess there'd also be the online survival one, but, that's just using some setup from MGSV and not much else AFAIK.

Now, all that being said, obviously the release order is what'd determine a lot of the existing information they're built on. So, you're not really losing out by playing them in that order versus the in-universe timeline. Really, it's probably just easier to adapt to the evolving mechanics as you go. I would say that if you really like MGS, it'd be well worth your time to backtrack a little and play Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. While some of the mechanics are little more dated, like dealing with things a screen at a time, there's a fair bit of MGS that's literally just adapting MG2 into 3D.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So I got to the Plant section, and its much better now. Its more of what I expected MGS game to be. This is the real game, it even starts with a tutorial. I guess that tanker section was more of a "trailer" to the game.

That timeline is definitely confusing, I wonder how they sit on the table brainstorming decisions should the next game be going back or forth in the storyline.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

So I know I've complained about the Famicom Mini's hardware before, and now that I've been using it to play Final Fantasy 3, I have a LOT more to complain about.
To repeat my previous complaints, the Famicom Mini's controllers still need to fit into the side (it IS a Famicom after all), so they're literally half the size of a normal Famicom controller, and they're hard-wired into the back (like a real Famicom) so they're the only controller you're getting.
I had a hunch just moving around the menus that the D-pad didn't feel that accurate. I tried out Super C and I was SHOCKED at how much I was barely scratching the surface. It's almost impossible to press two directions simultaneously on this thing. So something like firing diagonally in Super C is REALLY hard. Even the down button seems to be weirdly unresponsive at times. And on top of that, the A and B button are so tiny and close together it makes both running and mashing the A button to slow your decent as a raccoon in Mario 3 far harder than on a normal-sized controller.
So yeah, this thing is still a shockingly badly designed piece of equipment, but now not just on a design level, but on a build level. Stick with the NES Classic 100% if this is something you want for anything other than a shelf ornament!
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Can a PS4 Pro play 4K Blu Ray?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Ziggy587 wrote:Can a PS4 Pro play 4K Blu Ray?

Nope :(

Xbox One X can tho.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

bmoc wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Can a PS4 Pro play 4K Blu Ray?

Nope :(

Xbox One X can tho.

One S does as well, it's just the original model that can't.