Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by bmoc »

Click the Start Button and type netplwiz then press Enter. Are you able to see the old account there? If so you should be able to delete it. If you don't see it there, you may have to do a full system restore to get rid of it. Unfortunately Windows 10 Home does not have the Local Users and Groups snap-in which would make removing the account trivial.

To get rid of the files from the old profile, click the Start Button and type Advanced System Settings and press Enter. In the User Profiles section of the window that appears, click on the Settings button. Click on the old user profile and then the Delete button.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

If you can't find another way to get rid of it, open an admin command prompt and type net user OldUser /delete.

However, I assume you can use netplwiz to do what you want, or just use it to set your account to auto-login if that suits your usage.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I did try netplwiz and it didn't show the old user there. Maybe I will try to just set me as the auto login since that might be simpler.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

While it still -should- show up, it might be something like the old user being the built in Administrator account renamed to something else. I know on Pro it'll still show up to be deleted, but maybe Home is more protective of it or something.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

That was sort of my thought as well, that he was the built in main admin or something. I'm considering system restore though my worry is if there's some Linx specific drivers etc that I should be nervous about losing.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

noiseredux wrote:That was sort of my thought as well, that he was the built in main admin or something. I'm considering system restore though my worry is if there's some Linx specific drivers etc that I should be nervous about losing.

I went to the website for that device thinking that they would have some sort of support section that might tell you how to properly reset the device. Nope. Just an email address to their customer service. linxsupport@exertis.co.uk Lame....
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

RCBH928 wrote:Is there a game where you get to play a computer hacker? Not as a character but the actual gameplay. I remember there was some indie one called "Digital -Something-" Its just not coming to my mind right now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1510/Uplink/
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Is there a game where you get to play a computer hacker? Not as a character but the actual gameplay. I remember there was some indie one called "Digital -Something-" Its just not coming to my mind right now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1510/Uplink/

You deliver. Also via recommendations I noticed there is another called Hacknet which seems to be more on the "simulation" side. If you tried any of those out, please give me your opinion
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am not hating on them, but John Carmack and John Romero seem to be kind of like "one hit wonders" . After Quake, which I feel was Doom in 3D, I do not recall they created anything really significant into the videogames world. By the time Quake was released, Carmack and Romero were 27 and 30 years old respectively. Thats too early to retire your talents.

I do understand that Carmack is a programing genius and Romero basically did a career suicide after Daikatana, but for people who are credited for creating/establishing a portion of PC gaming history, they have not created anything worth mentioning after the year 2000. Even their colleague Tom Hall ended creating 2 crowd-funding campaigns that failed to meet minimum goals which I feel is very sad.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Carmack has done plenty, and is likely still doing plenty given his areas of expertise. He was still the one doing handling tech for Doom3 and RAGE, and did the iOS spinoff of the latter. Plus odd things like Orcs and Elves. To a fair point, part of id's business was to license their engines, and that's what he made. So not only was he a core part of their team, but his work was used to power many other games.
His current role at Oculus is more behind the scenes, but still, he's really just continuing to work at the cutting edge of graphics tech.

Romero has been involved with a number of games too, but more in the mobile space. He's still doing stuff in the industry either way.