Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Xeogred »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Ack wrote:I found DKC to be a great but experimental effort, DKC2 to be the logical buildup where the first's style and gameplay were perfected, and DKC3 to be a departure that was trying new ideas and of lesser quality than 2 but still interesting enough to warrant playing. I haven't tried any after that.

I know you like adding bones to your pile. Tropical Freeze is a worthy beast to slay. Highly recommend it if you have a switch or Wii u.

I'll admit that the DKCR games aren't mechanically a completely resurrection of the original series, but they're still fantastic games. I too highly recommend them and am a proud member of the "All DKC games are good" club :lol:

Same, love them all. Call the wambulance for those who can't handle Returns on the Wii. :lol: :roll: :P

For my money the two DKCR games blow the New Super Mario Bros and newer Rayman games out of the water.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Xeogred wrote:For my money the two DKCR games blow the New Super Mario Bros and newer Rayman games out of the water.

Oooooo, now them's fightin' words :lol:
I'm not sure I could pick a favorite between the DKCR games, newer Raymans, and SMBU, tbh. They're all REALLY good in kinda different ways. The Rayman games have a smoothness and flow that the DKCR games and NSMB games don't really have. At the same time, SMB's wall jumping lends to a very different kind of level design approach to DKCR's. They're all GREAT, but I'm not sure I'd be bold enough to say one is FAR above the rest :P :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Yeah I feel like the donkey Kong country returns games are far more challenging than the bulk of the new super Mario bros.

I think the newer rayman games are more charming, but not very hard at all. They are more style than substance.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Go home everyone...the party’s over, and you’re all drunk. Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are masterpieces. Individually, they are better than the NSMB and DKCR series collectively.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Go home everyone...the party’s over, and you’re all drunk. Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are masterpieces. Individually, they are better than the NSMB and DKCR series collectively.

Oh I think they are spectacular and again, in that class of amazing platformers, but I also feel that the Rayman games are all about presentation. It has the best visuals and best presentation. It's use of co-op features in Legends is an absolute blast. I just feel like the platforming lacks the awesome context that Tropical Freeze has and relies on the european item hunt design style that can be very off putting for folks. I feel they are amazing, nonetheless and we are really just splitting hairs here.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Go home everyone...the party’s over, and you’re all drunk. Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are masterpieces. Individually, they are better than the NSMB and DKCR series collectively.

Oh I think they are spectacular and again, in that class of amazing platformers, but I also feel that the Rayman games are all about presentation. It has the best visuals and best presentation. It's use of co-op features in Legends is an absolute blast. I just feel like the platforming lacks the awesome context that Tropical Freeze has and relies on the european item hunt design style that can be very off putting for folks. I feel they are amazing, nonetheless and we are really just splitting hairs here.

What's European item hunt design style? You mean like Banjo? :O
Would DKCR's puzzle pieces and KONG letters fall into a different camp? (I'm genuinely curious, I've never heard the distinction before XP).

I really like the little mini-games you do to save the little caged guys in Rayman though. They're almost like shrines in Breath of the Wild, in their own way ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Platformers in the 80s and 90s designed by European companies did a lot of level design that involved free roaming levels to locate crucial items and collectibles in order to progress.

Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Bumped into what I figure is probably the only GBA repro in my collection :lol: . Kind of surprised that there was ever a time when this repro would have been worth producing when the same materials could have been used for other titles. Only reason I picked it up was it was around $1 with free prime shipping and a $1 digital credit on Amazon Warehouse lol.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I mentioned this briefly in the Minecraft thread, but the casual partnership of Microsoft and Nintendo is fascinating to me. The fact that you sign into an Xbox account and see your Xbox profile on Nintendo hardware is insane to me. What's even more crazy is I noticed this morning that the Switch version of Minecraft actually awarded me Xbox Achievements. This might be small and nerdy to get excited about, but seriously... seeing the word "Nintendo" on my Xbox achievement list is just nuts to me. Something I never thought I'd see.

It got me to thinking... what if this is just testing the waters? What if we saw more first party Microsoft games follow suit? I mean it was already stated that Sea Of Thieves could run on pretty weak hardware, right? I'd love to play some portable Halo Wars! And I could totally see stuff like Super Lucky's Tale or Recore on Switch. Just a thought.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

noiseredux wrote:I mentioned this briefly in the Minecraft thread, but the casual partnership of Microsoft and Nintendo is fascinating to me...

what i really want to see is Microsoft letting Rare licence games on Nintendo consoles again.

for example: hmmm..

..if only.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here