Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

I stumbled upon an "antique" seller on instagram and he was offering a Nintendo Wii as part of his items Image
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:I stumbled upon an "antique" seller on instagram and he was offering a Nintendo Wii as part of his items Image

A lot of second hand merchants use "antique" to sound fancy. There's a lot of "antique shops" on the East End of Long Island, but a lot of them are more or less just thrift stores.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Damn. I'm planning to make up a Wii, OG Xbox or possibly a 360 for the next charity auction. I don't know which might get the most attention, tho there are some of each.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:Damn. I'm planning to make up a Wii, OG Xbox or possibly a 360 for the next charity auction. I don't know which might get the most attention, tho there are some of each.

I'd recommend doing one of the Xboxes. Wiis are plentiful and cheap, and super easy to mod. Xbox, not so much. You might get more bids, or at least bids for higher amounts, for either Xbox compared to the Wii.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Wiis are plentiful and cheap, and super easy to mod. Xbox, not so much. You might get more bids, or at least bids for higher amounts, for either Xbox compared to the Wii.

hah..I remember there used to be websites to show you which stores had new stock since they were so hard to get due to high demand.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Its not worth opening a thread over this, but was there anything special about the Amiga games? I looked up some videos and looks like its just a shared library with DOS. I am not sure why the Amiga was popular in the first place, I think maybe the GUI OS and the chips were faster at time of release.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I would take a look at the Amiga 101 article on the main site for starters...

https://www.racketboy.com/retro/commodo ... ners-guide
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

A thing that a lot of people are unaware of is just how underpowered IBM Compatibles were for a long time compared to the Apple II, Amiga, and other PCs. Business was the target market, so you had either the monochrome Hercules card or the 4 color CGA card with its awful color palettes. EGA brought things to the level of tolerable with its 16 colors, but it wasn't until VGA came out (not to mention Adlib and Soundblaster finally replacing the PC Speaker) that DOS started to become a premier gaming platform.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:A thing that a lot of people are unaware of is just how underpowered IBM Compatibles were for a long time compared to the Apple II, Amiga, and other PCs. Business was the target market, so you had either the monochrome Hercules card or the 4 color CGA card with its awful color palettes. .

Yeah I always wondered whats with the aweful color palletes of computer like this

MrPopo wrote:EGA brought things to the level of tolerable with its 16 colors, but it wasn't until VGA came out (not to mention Adlib and Soundblaster finally replacing the PC Speaker) that DOS started to become a premier gaming platform.

yeah but in the after math, does it matter today? Like PSX and N64 game library is vastly different and games like Aladdin between SNES and GENESIS are different, just wondering if there is such a difference between amiga and DOS today . I am sure there is a bit of exclusives on each side.

Ziggy587 wrote:I would take a look at the Amiga 101 article on the main site for starters...

https://www.racketboy.com/retro/commodo ... ners-guide

I totally missed that. great guide.

I love the internet, people work, collect, and give info for free. They even pay for hosting!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm really not a fan of the cyan/magenta CGA graphics.

I'm sure there's many Amiga exclusives that are worth your time. And probably some titles that are best on the Amiga compared to other ports.

There's also this great Amiga shmup guide, that was published earlier this year: https://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-com ... essentials

RCBH928 wrote:I love the internet, people work, collect, and give info for free. They even pay for hosting!

There is a lot of volunteer work that goes into sites like this. But Racketboy does have ads and affiliate links on the front page, as well as a Patreon. They all (hopefully) help pay or at least offset the hosting cost.