Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Project 64 is very good.

If you want to emulate the N64 on the PC I would certainly recommend a USB controller adapter or maybe a third party N64 USB controller. A small expense, but ultimately essential.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:Um... The N64 is not especially difficult to emulate. What are you talking about?

2-I drop on the N64 emulation scene from time to time, and last I checked there were still some issues and some games that won't run well. Not sure if this has been finally fixed. My latest impression was some games run ok, other games not so well. If there was some breakthrough recently, I am not aware.

This is the story of almost every emulation scene. I don't think a single emulator has perfect emulation of every title. Even emulation of a platform as old as the PC Engine still wrestles with the effect of reduced load times on a few titles that anticipate a certain minimum load times to sync certain on-screen elements.

My current understanding is that N64 emulation is pretty darn good for most of the library.

I mean, the alternative is to buy an N64 and, I dunno, buy the entire library?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Project 64 is very good.

If you want to emulate the N64 on the PC I would certainly recommend a USB controller adapter or maybe a third party N64 USB controller. A small expense, but ultimately essential.

I never had a controller fail on me but I make sure I use them with care, but those analogue sticks are pretty fragile. Better stock up with replacements while they last.

marurun wrote:My current understanding is that N64 emulation is pretty darn good for most of the library.

I mean, the alternative is to buy an N64 and, I dunno, buy the entire library?

As long as the issues are not noticeable I am fine, basically if you can't tell something is wrong its ok. I already own the 64 and most games I want. On other consoles, say like the Saturn, yes you have to accept whatever emulation is there.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

N64 is probably my least favorite mainstream console of all time, but every game I have emulated has worked fine. The only issue is, as has been mentioned already, the terrible control scheme. You have 2 choices, buy an adapter and use the real shitty n64 controller, or somehow map it onto a modern controller, neither of them work particularly well, but performance wise, you should be fine.

On topic:

I hate souls games and for the life of me cannot understand the appeal of this god awful genre. The combat is boring, slow, usually the maps are not fun to navigate, everything about these games are just fucking terrible. I hated dark souls, I hated bloodborne, I tried to play the surge today, hated that, got bored with Nioh 17 hours in. They all feel so samey to me.

I love challenging games but these games don't even seem that hard, I usually don't die too much, but I am just never having fun with these games ever. It is just like walk, fight samey enemies using samey patterns with slow as fuck combat, repeat until you find bonfire/the bonfire clone of that game, repeat, try to stay awake, find random boss who usually feels equally grindy, repeat for what seems like forever.

The only souls game that kept me hooked to the end was lords of the fallen, which I know everyone hates, the thing is from my perspective there is no discernable gameplay difference between lords of the fallen and every other game in the genre.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PLAY KING’S FIELD!

Inside joke for long- timers like me.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

How do you feel about Devil May Cry?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

pook99 wrote:I hate souls games and for the life of me cannot understand the appeal of this god awful genre. The combat is boring, slow, usually the maps are not fun to navigate, everything about these games are just fucking terrible. I hated dark souls, I hated bloodborne, I tried to play the surge today, hated that, got bored with Nioh 17 hours in. They all feel so samey to me. .

Actually, the slower combat gives it a real sense of action since you are not just mashing the buttons to do crazy combos. Each fight feels unique. I found the maps fun to navigate, every area is kind of like joined with the other (Metrovanian?) instead of having to travel vast lands to reach different areas(GTA, RDR). The upgrade system is nice, and the characters are interesting. The enemies are well thought out. I really got the sense of an "adventure" out of this game. I am not done with it yet but "epic" is how I would describe it.

All game genres are samey for the most part, all the 3D fallout games, GTA, CODs... thats why I tend to play 1 title in the series, I don't need to have the same experience again...unless its a trilogy.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

pook99 wrote:The only souls game that kept me hooked to the end was lords of the fallen, which I know everyone hates, the thing is from my perspective there is no discernable gameplay difference between lords of the fallen and every other game in the genre.

Maybe it's less the gameplay for you then, given that Lords of the Fallen is likely the worst offender for the things you're saying you don't like about that style of game. It is, however, much more straightforward - spelled out story, linear, and fairly short.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I've only played the 7th gen "Souls" games and found them...... "good." I don't understand the hype, the memes, and so on, and I've never found "high difficulty" to be a compelling aspect of video games. But they're decent games, some of the better ones of that generation -- which I guess isn't saying much coming from me. I have zero desire to play additional games in that style, however, and I would really prefer an old random 16-bit ARPG over a Souls game any day of the week.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@prsnl_gamer: I watched my brother play kings field obsessively, he was much more of a N64 guy than me but kings field really took him away from gems like quest 64 which he also frequently played.

@MrPopo: I love DMC, it is one of my favorite modern day games series, I also tend to love DMC clones (stuff like bayonetta and Metal Gear rising revengence)

@RCBH: to me all the encounters feel the same, dodge/parry one or 2 swings, let stamina refill, repeat. It is just horrifically boring to me. I get enjoying how the world feels connected though, it is not for me, but I can definitely give it credit for being cool seeing so many roads connect to the same point.

I don't agree that games in the same genre feel samey. I would say my favorite genre is 2d platformers and there is a very big difference in how games within that genre play, sure you will get the random mario clone which does not do anything different but play mega man 11, Shovel knight, freedom planet, and New Super Mario bros back to back and you are getting very different experiences. I don't feel that way when I play any of the souls games or its clones

@isiola: that is an interesting observation, I definitely tend to enjoy shorter linear games, so that may be why I stuck through lords of the fallen to the end, I got bored of dark souls, bloodborne, and the surge extremely quickly. Nioh I was enjoying for a bit(17 hrs ish) it started to drag and then I looked at a walkthrough to see if I was close to finishing it and found I was about only a 1/3rd of the way through and immediately uninstalled it.

@bonesnap: for me high difficulty is extremely compelling, the feeling of dying/retrying and feeling immensely satisfied when you finally make it through a tough part is just unmatched, that is why I tend to gravitate towards difficult games, but the souls game don't feel hard, just annoying. I do think the length plays a part in that, super meat boy was tough as nails, but there was always a constant feeling of progression and the end of the levels were always in sight, this kept me wanting to come back for more. In souls games it just feels like a chore.