Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by MrPopo »

That's why I prefer GOG for the old games, as they are really good about having PDFs of necessary manuals and supplements and sometimes disable copy protection or have programs that simulate code wheels.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

MrPopo wrote:That's why I prefer GOG for the old games, as they are really good about having PDFs of necessary manuals and supplements and sometimes disable copy protection or have programs that simulate code wheels.

Very true! They aren't perfect but they do add soundtracks and other documentation they have around.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
SNKnicotine
128-bit

Post by SNKnicotine »

I have a perfectly good working 32inch Sony Trinitron(w/remote) but rather have a flat screen in my retro-room just for the presentation even though it falls flat on it's face when it comes to any kind of retro gaming. :oops:
Klassic PlastiK @ youtube.com/KlassicplastiK
Currently playing:Super Smash bros.(4)(3DS/WiiU)
Currently reading: Batman: Death of a Family
AppleQueso wrote:You can't even pronounce "RPG" or "FPS" like you can "Shmup"
Arpuhguh? Fffpiss? Bah!
"Shmup" is far more elegant!
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

MrPopo wrote:That's why I prefer GOG for the old games, as they are really good about having PDFs of necessary manuals and supplements and sometimes disable copy protection or have programs that simulate code wheels.

I used to be nearly Steam only as in my experience the games are cheaper, and all my friends are on it, making the Community feature appealing. Now I know that I'm getting what I pay for and I've also discovered the greatness that is Discord, so I think I'll start buying from GOG more.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Any other games with a Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Shadow Tower/Kings Field atmosphere? I'm not really finding much, closest I can think of is Shadow of the Colossus.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Everyone likes to shit on it, but The Surge is a Souls-like with a Sci-Fi setting. I remember an early 2000s PC RPG, but the name escapes me at the moment. Nioh feels like a half-way point between Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls.
I just noticed that I made the first post on page 1984. I hope it's not a bad omen. :P
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Erik_Twice wrote:

Very true! They aren't perfect but they do add soundtracks and other documentation they have around.

Steam is also pretty bad about selling old games that kinda or flat-out don't work on systems it claims to work on because it hasn't been adjusted properly to run on a modern system. GOG is SO good about making everything you buy be playable. I never buy old games on Steam if GOG is an option.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I see buying an old game on Steam the same as buying the original release: You get the game, but you gotta make it work yourself. Until recently, I didn't see GoG's additions as worthwhile as I was usually able to get games to work properly via their Steam releases with X-COM being the example that sticks out most in my head. With these Point and Click Adventures, I see why GoG's methods are worthwhile as if I were to have bought the Quest games from them I'd have the required documentation to play the games.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Any other games with a Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Shadow Tower/Kings Field atmosphere? I'm not really finding much, closest I can think of is Shadow of the Colossus.

You could consider some of the more indie type productions - Salt and Sanctuary is admittedly trying to bring those kinds of games to 2D, and succeeds to a degree (though it's fairly tough). Same could be said for Hyper Light Drifter though it's keying more on Zelda I think. I'm sure some of the many other metrodvania/roguelikes have been influenced enough by those games to qualify as well, but I haven't played them. While not really in the same way, stuff like Journey might also compare, or perhaps Soma, if it's the very isolated sort of feeling you're looking for.

Breath of the Wild and Metroid Prime also end up with some similarities. System Shock 2 perhaps. I have seen Vagrant Story, Silent Hill 2, and Severance: Blade of Darkness compared but haven't played them to say.
I think more newer games might end up with that sort of feel to them if you simply opt to reduce or turn off in-game help.

Narratively I think stuff like Nier:Automata or Transistor could be similar.

While not what I think you're asking for here, if you want something that builds on the sort of combat that it has, Monster Hunter World is excellent. Nioh as well, though I think that's tempered by the fact that so much has to be unlocked - it's like combining it with not just Ninja Gaiden, but Diablo in terms of the sheer amount of loot and ability unlocks.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I would say Vagrant Story fits the bill. The first Devil May Cry is honestly rather gothic and serious too with a lot of good dark BGM, I think people forget about DMC1's awesome atmosphere (same composer as RE2).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IQcTcxzCyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEEhlZnTavs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-AAu0Osxms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka7Giv8zV4A