Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Reprise »

I don't know to be honest, I'm still the same. I don't obsess over review scores and just enjoy what I enjoy.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Reprise wrote:I don't know to be honest, I'm still the same. I don't obsess over review scores and just enjoy what I enjoy.

This
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Segata wrote:
Reprise wrote:I don't know to be honest, I'm still the same. I don't obsess over review scores and just enjoy what I enjoy.

This

I use reviews as a filter system, its not possible to go back and check out each game to see whats worthwhile. That being said some aspects go into the game review that I don't care too much about like sound design or music. Also, I learned the hard way that graphics are not everything.

Back in the day, I forgot which magazine, they had a score for "fun factor" which is just about what you need to know if you want to play that game or not.
marurun

Post by marurun »

That was GamePro. I think, just as with movies, you have to find review outlets and reviewers you understand (not necessarily trust, per se). Since opinions vary, as long as you understand where the reviewer is coming from you can determine from their thoughts how you might feel about it. I was really fond of Roger Ebert for movie reviews. I didn't usually agree with him, but I knew where he was coming from, so I could usually figure out if I would like something based on the thoughts he expressed. I don't know that I read enough game reviews to have that kind of relationship with a game reviewer.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

HELP!!!!!!!

I may have an opportunity to pick up a non-working GORF cabinet. Assuming it is in pristine cosmetic condition - and having no idea what’s wrong with it - how much should I be willing to pay for it?!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:HELP!!!!!!!

I may have an opportunity to pick up a non-working GORF cabinet. Assuming it is in pristine cosmetic condition - and having no idea what’s wrong with it - how much should I be willing to pay for it?!

The condition the monitor is in is going to be the single most important thing. If it's in good condition, I'd say between $300 and $500 would be reasonable although I wouldn't call it a good deal unless you can get it for $200 or less. If the monitor needs work - even just re-capping - I wouldn't pay more than $100, personally.

I'm not personally familiar with GORF cabinets, though; is it JAMMA compatible? If it's not already wired for JAMMA, then knock some off of that monitor-is-in-good-condition amount.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oh man I would try to grab that shiz. Hope you can get it working. Gorf rules, and all the console ports were neutered.

$100? I'd offer that.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Do you know what's not working about it? Do you know that the PCB is what's dead (that's what I was assuming) or could it just be the monitor?

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Thanks for the help guys. My wife went to go look at it. She said it’s pretty beat up; so I am going to pass on it...which is too bad because, as Bone noted, all the console ports of that great game were neutered.

(Also, the current price is $200+, and I don’t want both a pinball machine and cabinet in my house in need of refurbishing at the same time.)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Thanks for the help guys. My wife went to go look at it. She said it’s pretty beat up; so I am going to pass on it...which is too bad because, as Bone noted, all the console ports of that great game were neutered.

(Also, the current price is $200+, and I don’t want both a pinball machine and cabinet in my house in need of refurbishing at the same time.)

I don't know how far out he goes, but if you're looking for someone to do the refurb work, check out BB Amusements online. He's based in Littleton (not exactly right next door to you but in North Carolina) and does refurb work on both pinball tables and arcade cabs. He's the one who did the repairs on my MVS.