Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Ack »

pook99 wrote:@ack: who are you using in final fight 3? I always found that haggar does a good job of crushing everything and I think all the games are much easier if your using him.

I was using Lucia, a character I'm not familiar with but who is apparently a little slower than Guy but with better range due to her kicks. Basically she feels like an attempt at putting Chun Li into the game without actually using Chun Li.

I'm definitely rusty on my beat 'em up skills, and there were changes over the course of the series that I wasn't aware of until I looked them up, so I didn't know about how to use a Super until way late in the game. I'm also inconsistent in pulling them off, which contributed to my pain... I'll learn to deal with it though.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Ack wrote:
pook99 wrote:@ack: who are you using in final fight 3? I always found that haggar does a good job of crushing everything and I think all the games are much easier if your using him.

I was using Lucia, a character I'm not familiar with but who is apparently a little slower than Guy but with better range due to her kicks. Basically she feels like an attempt at putting Chun Li into the game without actually using Chun Li.

I'm definitely rusty on my beat 'em up skills, and there were changes over the course of the series that I wasn't aware of until I looked them up, so I didn't know about how to use a Super until way late in the game. I'm also inconsistent in pulling them off, which contributed to my pain... I'll learn to deal with it though.

The supers help, I'm sure you already looked up moves lists but just in case, in addition to the supers there are also regular command moves. For example, with Haggar a quarter circle forward + attack unleashes a pretty devastating double hammer punch, plus he has a dashing clothesline done by pressing forward, forward + attack. Using these will make the game much easier since they help dramatically in crowd control situations.
Ack

Post by Ack »

That would be useful. Lucia's specials seem to be geared towards air combat, which isn't as big. But the range on her basic combo is solid, and the throw mechanics make it ridiculously easy to treat people like rag dolls.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ack wrote:Then the pain begins.

That’s a relief. For a moment there I thought you might’ve been getting soft on us.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pook99 wrote:What other games can we think of where the second to last boss is harder than the final boss?

I think a killer penultimate boss was pretty common in NES games. Some examples:

Jaquio in NG is harder than the demon

Thunderbird in Zelda II is harder than Link’s Shadow

Every boss ever is harder than the beating heart in Contra
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think it was also common in NES games that the mini-boss halfway through the level would be harder than the level boss.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Every boss ever is harder than the beating heart in Contra

Every enemy is harder than the final boss of Gradius.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I seriously despise a lot of the art work and art style on smartphone games. I really think games from 16-bit consoles looked better.

pook99 wrote:Willy is harder than jimmy lee on NES double dragon

What else?

This is an obscure one but just because I recently played it, American McGee Alice.

Not sure where the idea of the before final boss is tougher than the final boss comes from, but I will guess its from the arcade days where you inserted just so many coins the developer wants to reward you with an easy boss to get a sense of achievement of completing the game. Just a guess, I never completed a game on arcade...
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
pook99 wrote:What other games can we think of where the second to last boss is harder than the final boss?

I think a killer penultimate boss was pretty common in NES games. Some examples:

Jaquio in NG is harder than the demon

Thunderbird in Zelda II is harder than Link’s Shadow

Every boss ever is harder than the beating heart in Contra

Great examples, Jaquio is virtually impossible given that the first time you fight him they take away your sub weapon and you have to use just the sword, he is obscenely difficult. I also have no idea how to pronounce his name.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I made the mistake of looking a little more closely into what became of Kiya Yoshio after he left Falcom. Turns out that I need an FM-Towns, and a PCFX, like, yesterday, because he worked on a series called Gekirin/DaiGekirin, on the FM Towns, and Last Imperial Prince, on the PCFX. Actually, I'm just being kind of dramatic. All of them were released on Windows PC, as well. Still, there's so little information about them, it seems. I'm not sure how to really find them.

On a semi related note, I found out that Gekirin is a colloquialism that comes from the idea of a Chinese dragon having a single scale below its chin, out of 81, that grows in upside down. That's almost literally what the characters mean, also (geki--gyaku--sakasama: backward/upside down; rin--uroko: scale). It has a connotation of, 'that which must not be touched,' because it's said that touching that upside down scale would throw a dragon into a fit of rage, and cause it to kill such a brazen human in an instant. Thus, Gekirindan was born, I guess.