Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Reprise wrote:Here's the UK VSC's response anyways. Apparently one of the girls is described as a 'first year', although I've seen someone comment that under Japan's grading system, this would actually make them 16 or older (above the UK's legal age of consent), but I have no idea if that's true or not. It's difficult to defend the 'holding a teddy bear' but though... I just guess my confusion is, why hasn't any other 'creepy' 'weeb' game been banned here until now? Does this now set a precedent moving forward? Or is this either a random anomaly that will be forgotten or is it that this game is actually worse than prior weeb games?

The game is explicit in its setting within a “school” environment and the majority of the characters are young girls – one child is referred to as being a “first year” student and is seen holding a teddy bear. The game clearly promotes the sexualisation of children via the sexual interaction between the game player and the female characters. The style of the game is such that it will attract an audience below the age of 18.

There is a serious danger that impressionable people, i.e. children and young people viewing the game would conclude that the sexual activity represented normal sexual behaviour. There is a constant theme of sexual innuendo and activity throughout the game that suggests behaviour likely to normalise sexual activity towards children. As a means of reward gained by successfully navigating the game, the player has the means to sexually stimulate the female characters by using either a hand held remote device or touch screen software.

The VSC Rating Board believes this content in a game, which would have strong appeal to non-adult players, is an issue which would be unacceptable to the majority of UK consumers and, more importantly, has the potential to be significantly harmful in terms of the social and moral development of younger people in particular.

A first year would be the equivalent of a 10th grader, so she could technically be 15. Not to mention the teddy bear is REALLY clearly an effort to further infantalize her to appeal to the kind of people who are into that kind of thing. Sexualization of children is something Japan has a really serious problem with, and even if this is a bit of a double-standard with previous games, this kind of refusal against that kind of content has to start somewhere and is only a good thing in my mind.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, it's hard to argue against really and I can see why it's been banned here. It's interesting it hasn't been banned in America. Are there any instances in the United States of games being banned? As I pointed out earlier, this is the second console game to be banned in the UK since Manhunt 2. It's not a long list.

I just guess I'm not a huge fan of 'banning' things, especially art and media. They don't make problems go away and although this time they might go for some creepy weeb game I have no interest in, but what about when they go for a game I am interested in? In retrospect, banning Manhunt 2 is lame and I can't say I'm particularly happy when games get censored. South Park Stick of Truth is one example that was censored to be released in Europe (as well as Australia). How long before games like GTA end up banned? UK tabloids even started a campaign against Detroit: Become Human recently too, because of the "disgusting" scenes depicting domestic violence and neglect against a child.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Yakuza Kiwami 2 coming west August 28th boys and girls! So excited.

Really hope we can get 3,4, and 5 on PS4 too. Just port them over and throw them on a disc. If any change is needed, just give us the content cut from 3 in the west.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

So I have been talking with Nathan Barnatt (Talking Classics/Kieth Apricary) and I'm sending him my second DreamEye since I have 2. He's shooting a Kieth Music video with the DreamEye. Also seems he lost some TC episodes since an HD died a while back and I happened to have the HD versions on my PC so he can put on the next TC DVD. So it was cool talking to him. Real cool dude.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Glad to hear he's doing well. I hope things have been working out for him.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ah okay. So when you get Akalabeth on GOG.com you don't automatically get the upgraded 1998 version with music and the save/load feature. Instead you get a bare-bones hard as hell version. The 1998 one is included in the "goodies." I figured this out by searching the internet and stumbling upon a 3.5 year old GOG forum post written by one MrPopo. So thanks, Popez!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ah okay. So when you get Akalabeth on GOG.com you don't automatically get the upgraded 1998 version with music and the save/load feature. Instead you get a bare-bones hard as hell version. The 1998 one is included in the "goodies." I figured this out by searching the internet and stumbling upon a 3.5 year old GOG forum post written by one MrPopo. So thanks, Popez!

Jeez, did I really play it that long ago?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So years ago I discussed gaming on iOS/iPhone/iPad/ and Android devices and if we will see these "phones" -mini games- will ever replace handhelds and consoles. After looking at Fornite for iOS, now I can say, we are finally here.

I know people here frown on touch-screen controls, but now you can use controllers
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Eh, no Phones have not replaced consoles at all. It's still an alt market. Too many variables why Phones are not the same market as consoles and PC. With the way PS4 and Switch are selling, dedicated gaming machines are still in very much in demand. (Switch is now the fastest selling system ever in 12 months)
NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

Has every main installment of GTA included a pack-in poster?