Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by marurun »

50 feet is the maximum recommended length for an HDMI run. But given that the electrical signal moves down an HDMI cable at between .64 and .85 the speed of light (C), well, let's do the math. 1/60th of a second, or a single frame of 60 FPS content, is 16 2/3 milliseconds. In 16 2/3 milliseconds, the data traveling down an HDMI cable at .64 C (the slowest velocity factor I could find for an HDMI cable) could travel up to 10,491,416 feet (or 629,485 ft per ms). Since 50 ft is 1/12,590th of that distance, a 50 ft HDMI cable would introduce approximately 0.001 frames of input lag.

Your biggest concern should be ensuring a 50 ft HDMI cable is of high enough quality that there is no signal degradation and thus image dropout or hiccups in display decoding.

But don't worry about the lag.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

marurun wrote:Your biggest concern should be ensuring a 50 ft HDMI cable is of high enough quality that there is no signal degradation and thus image dropout or hiccups in display decoding.

Fair enough. Should I be concerned about that then? :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

noiseredux wrote:
marurun wrote:Your biggest concern should be ensuring a 50 ft HDMI cable is of high enough quality that there is no signal degradation and thus image dropout or hiccups in display decoding.

Fair enough. Should I be concerned about that then? :lol:

Buy a good cable from a reputable company. Check some reviews on-line if you need to. Do that and you'll be fine.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I use the 10ft version of this one in the wall in my living room. I'm sure the 50ft version works just as well. I'm able to get 4K HDR out of my PS4 Pro using YUV420 sampling (Full RGB sampling is unstable due to my HDMI switch). I used to have a passive cable in the wall and my Wii U and PS3 would drop out occasionally. My Xbox One never had a problem. Not all HDMI sources are created equal unfortunately. The total length of my HDMI run from device to TV is about 16ft.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

bmoc wrote:I use the 10ft version of this one in the wall in my living room. I'm sure the 50ft version works just as well. I'm able to get 4K HDR out of my PS4 Pro using YUV420 sampling (Full RGB sampling is unstable due to my HDMI switch). I used to have a passive cable in the wall and my Wii U and PS3 would drop out occasionally. My Xbox One never had a problem. Not all HDMI sources are created equal unfortunately. The total length of my HDMI run from device to TV is about 16ft.

Thank you for the link. There's multiple sizes on that page, too. My idea is to possibly hookup my Wii U on the side table next to my game room couch, rather than under the TV. If I do that, then I can stream it to the Gamepad in the living room without moving it, and still be able to play on my TV in the game room. Right now, I have to move the console itself back and forth depending on where I'm playing. Which isn't the end of the world - it takes all of like 2 minutes. But it is mildly inconvenient. I'll have to do some measuring to see how much HDMI cable I'd need to accomplish this, though. I have carpeting in there that would make running it in a straight line difficult, so I'd be taking a longer route, hugging walls. We'll see. It might not be worth even bothering, haha.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Does anyone have Contra 4 (DS)? I'm curious how quick/easy it is to unlock Super C on there?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I have it. Unlocking Super C requires you to do a lot of the challenges; it's not an easy task. And then you're dealing with the resolution difference between the NES and the DS which leads to it being a sub part experience.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:I have it. Unlocking Super C requires you to do a lot of the challenges; it's not an easy task. And then you're dealing with the resolution difference between the NES and the DS which leads to it being a sub part experience.

exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

That said...Contra 4 is a RAD game. The NES games are just a nice bonus.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, I'd advise you to grab Contra 4 because you want Contra 4. If you want to play the NES games you really should just get the NES games separately or part of a Virtual Console that handles them right. The pack in is just something to noodle with if you realize you have them available.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.