Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Ack »

pook99 wrote:Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre are games I have wanted to play forever, I don't know if I will get to them this year though. I just started shining force, which is a game I have always wanted to play, and then I will likely move on to Langrisser 4 for playstation. After that, I have always wanted to play final fantasy tactics and I heard into the breach was great so I may check that out as well.

How does the ogre series compare to the above games? Better? Or should I just finish those first?

It depends on whether you're looking at the Ogre Battle or Tactics Ogre side of the series. Tactics Ogre you'll find more akin to FFT, but Ogre Battle is it's own beast. I find Ogre Battle to be harder to get into and less user friendly, particularly the original, since you probably won't realize at the start how important certain stats are that can lock you out of critical jobs in the end game. While this isn't such an issue in Ogre Battle 64, it can make the original a daunting prospect. It's still well worth playing however. I absolutely loved my time with the first OB.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ogre Battle is a fairly unique strategy experience. As mentioned, Tactics Ogre begat FFT, so if you've played FFT it will feel familiar. But with Ogre Battle, you are a level removed from the gameplay that you don't tend to see in strategy games. You need to do a lot of somewhat indirect management to get the results you want, but it's super rewarding when you do.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Tactics Ogre > FFT
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I'm ready to get moved into a bigger house and then start saving up for a beautiful Mame cabinet. I seriously want to sit down with a cab and bust through some classics.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

strangenova wrote:I'm ready to get moved into a bigger house and then start saving up for a beautiful Mame cabinet. I seriously want to sit down with a cab and bust through some classics.

That is on my bucket list, a friend of mine bought one of those mini street fighter 2 arcade cabinets from wal mart and modded it to play arcade games, that seems to be a very cost effective way to do it, but it wont be as big or true to life as a classic arcade set up.

Does anyone elses heart just break when they walk into an "arcade" nowadays? I think its such a shame that this generation of kids will never experience the magic of a real arcade like we all did when we were young.
Kell67

Post by Kell67 »

I completely agree, we have an annual event where there's a pop-up arcade at a local stadium. As good as that is, it's annual so not available any time. I have a hard time trying to explain to my son that arcades weren't a special event when I was his age, instead it was where our lunch money was spent every day :D
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Theres finally a decent arcade near me and I take my son to it every chance I get. I've got to drive 45 miles to get to the nearest arcade though, it's ridiculous! The mini cabs are cool but I do want the big stand up unit and I want to get a 4p setup for absolutely crazy beat em up nights with my friends. One day.... :o
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Theres finally a decent arcade near me and I take my son to it every chance I get. I've got to drive 45 miles to get to the nearest arcade though, it's ridiculous! The mini cabs are cool but I do want the big stand up unit and I want to get a 4p setup for absolutely crazy beat em up nights with my friends. One day.... :o
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

what's the best golf game available for DS/3DS?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Mario Golf World Tour (3DS) or True Swing Golf (NDS).

The latter is designed by the golf masters at T&E Soft. I have the retail version, but apparently, the DSiWare version slightly improves upon it. (Who knew?) You won’t go wrong with any of these.