Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Note
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Note »

I've been meaning to test out Wine on my new Macbook, which I got last summer. Downloaded Wine and Quartz and then realized Wine doesn't work on 10.15 Catalina. Guess I'll have to wait until the software is eventually updated to work with that version of OSX.

In particular, I wanted to try the PC shmup Touhou 8: Imperishable Night. Been having a tough time trying to find a Mac compatible version or getting it to run.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I don't know about WineHQ, but for $30 you can get Crossover which is like Wine in a nice user friendly package. Works on Catalina, Big Sur, Intel or Apple Silicon. Its hard to believe its real.
https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover#mac

@Marurun

Understandable but its not like officially released games are without their issues. As a linux/mac user I would be happy to have 90%+ no issues experienced playing a Windows exclusive than not being able to play the game at all. For example, on SiN there was a very frustrating problem where when loading a level it will just freeze on the load screen then you have to quit and relaunch the game and test your luck again. It made me mad, but I still got to enjoy the game
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Watching a lot of GCCX over the past few weeks has finally broken my "no more easily emulate-able consoles" wherewithal even further, as I ordered an AV Famicom earlier this week.

I know Bone for a fact is a Famicom fiend I'd love to hear recommendations from, but I know the rest of you are retro game fans enough that I'd love yours as well :D

I'm trying to avoid anything I already own by means of my Famicom or NES Minis, and I'll soon already have all the main Rockman games via the Legacy Collection.

Then my personal watch list (the prices for which I have not looked at at all) is currently:

Mappy Kids
Pizza Pop
Lagrange Point
Crazy Climber
[the Rockman board game game]
Door Door

I'm sure y'all have lots of other Japan-exclusive/Japan-more-common goodies you can recommend, so please tell me~ ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Watching a lot of GCCX over the past few weeks has finally broken my "no more easily emulate-able consoles" wherewithal even further, as I ordered an AV Famicom earlier this week.

I know Bone for a fact is a Famicom fiend I'd love to hear recommendations from, but I know the rest of you are retro game fans enough that I'd love yours as well :D

I'm trying to avoid anything I already own by means of my Famicom or NES Minis, and I'll soon already have all the main Rockman games via the Legacy Collection.

Then my personal watch list (the prices for which I have not looked at at all) is currently:

Mappy Kids
Pizza Pop
Lagrange Point
Crazy Climber
[the Rockman board game game]
Door Door

I'm sure y'all have lots of other Japan-exclusive/Japan-more-common goodies you can recommend, so please tell me~ ^w^

Here is my short import list:
Kid Dracula, Battle City, Goonies (the first one), Ninja Gaiden III (big differences between the JP and US versions), Nuts & Milk, Son Son, Youkai Kurabu.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

OPINIONS AHEAD --

Lagrange Point is one of the "pricier" Famicom games worth getting. Really interesting RPG.

Door Door and Crazy Climber are actually two of my most hated Famicom games. Crazy Climber is just terrible in all forms. It has these really awful "experimental" controls -- the Fami version uses both d-pads and the game came with these weird bottle-nipple looking contraptions that lock over them. It's just so sluggish and weird. And Door Door is one of the weakest single-screen platformers. It's long, hard, and moves at an absolutely glacial pace. Just miserable.

But yeah, the Fami is a treasure trove overall. So many good Japanese exclusives.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Door Door is one I had when I was younger that I enjoyed alright but wanna play some more of. I saw Crazy Climber on GCCX and just really wanna give it a try myself, although I really don't see myself ever beating it :lol: . That's definitely one I'm only picking up if I can find it cheap X3

I could swear I remember seeing Lagrange point for only like 2000-ish yen around here before, but I'll have to check again. It's been quite a long time since I've looked for Famicom games properly around here ^^;

o.pwuaioc wrote:Here is my short import list:
Kid Dracula, Battle City, Goonies (the first one), Ninja Gaiden III (big differences between the JP and US versions), Nuts & Milk, Son Son, Youkai Kurabu.

Thanks for the suggestions! I had no idea there were differences between different regions for any of the Ninja Gaiden games :O

Do you have any suggestions for Japan exclusives, Bone? :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You also need to get Holy Diver.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Do you have any suggestions for Japan exclusives, Bone? :O

Mostly in the RPG department. You've got the obvious stuff like FF 2/3, Ys 2/3 (I'd play part 1 on SMS instead), Mother, the two Fire Emblem games....... but there's also Chaos World, Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei, Sweet Home, Grand Master, Dark Lord, Just Breed, and tons more.......
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:Do you have any suggestions for Japan exclusives, Bone? :O

Mostly in the RPG department. You've got the obvious stuff like FF 2/3, Ys 2/3 (I'd play part 1 on SMS instead), Mother, the two Fire Emblem games....... but there's also Chaos World, Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei, Sweet Home, Grand Master, Dark Lord, Just Breed, and tons more.......

Cool! I'll be sure to keep my eyes out for anything and everything RPG then ^w^
Thanks a bunch, Bone~
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

Would there be any good reason to play Ys on any platform other than PC Engine? I mean, I can't think of one... :wink:
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.