Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Hell just imagine the Saturn with PSX-esque localization. Grandia, Lunar 1/2/3, Dragon Force II, Symphony of the Night, AnEarth Fantasy Stories, Madou Monogatari, Princess Crown, Lucienne's Quest, Linkle Liver Story, FEDA, Riglord Saga 2..... and those are just some RPGs we could have gotten. Way too much stayed in Japan.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Saturn needed an easy to develop for hardware regardless if PS1 was around or not, Oh and not to mention SEGA was not good at giving devs tools to work with. If SS had hardware as easy to work with as PS2 and good Marketing outside Japan, who knows PS1 may not have mattered all that much.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

The Saturn is one of the greatest consoles of all time (obviously). So many unique games and experiences and a lot of them can only be played on the Saturn (besides using emulation). I mean, there's huge numbers of quality shmups, shooters, arcade perfect 2D fighters, amazing RPGs (like Grandia, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Dragon Force etc) and then there's incredibly creative and unique games like Nights into Dreams and Burning Rangers. There's so many hidden gems too that people have either forgotten or have just never really known about.

I own more Saturn games than any other 32-bit machine.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I thought Europeans had hundreds of Amiga CD32 games.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Ha, no! I do vaguely remember a few adverts and a bit of coverage for the Amiga CD32 in the early 90s and there seemed to be a few attempts to try and get it to catch on. My only real memory of the Amiga CD32 was in the reader section of a GamesMaster magazine (UK magazine) in the early-mid 90s, someone wrote in to the magazine to ask if they should buy a Amiga CD32 or wait for the 'upcoming' Sony Playstation. Needless to say, the magazine staff took the piss a little bit and advised waiting for the Playstation or Saturn.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Reprise wrote:The Saturn is one of the greatest consoles of all time (obviously). So many unique games and experiences and a lot of them can only be played on the Saturn (besides using emulation). I mean, there's huge numbers of quality shmups, shooters, arcade perfect 2D fighters, amazing RPGs (like Grandia, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Dragon Force etc) and then there's incredibly creative and unique games like Nights into Dreams and Burning Rangers. There's so many hidden gems too that people have either forgotten or have just never really known about.

I own more Saturn games than any other 32-bit machine.

Ditto. Esp the last sentence. Same for me.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I should point out that I was also including the N64 in that (forgetting, of course, it was actually 64-bit). I just meant the fifth generation basically.

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

My bias is too strong for that era. Saturn in a distant first for me.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

The fact that the AfterBurner theme is in Smash Bros is somehow far more surreal to me than Sonic being in the games. Maybe it's because Sonic hasn't felt like old SEGA since Adventure to me and AfterBurner will always be a part of the SEGA we cherish.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Saturn was a great system. During that era I was huge into 2d fighters, and every serious fighting game fan owned a modded saturn so they could play arcade perfect ports of stuff like x-men vs street fighter, alpha 3, and more.

I can't say I love saturn more than ps1, but is miles ahead of n64, and is the only gen in history where I prefer a sega console to a nintendo one.