Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by MrPopo Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:37 am

Nemoide wrote:(And Popo, I assume you know you know CA has a very large number of DDR machines at Round 1s and Dave & Busters.)

That fact doesn't shock me, but it's not a big issue for me anymore since I bought a Pump machine a few years ago.

I've also been playing doubles recently, since at my arcade it costs the same amount as single-play, though I'm not close to Popo's peak level on that front. I can play up to 11s in the new-scale, but while I might get an A at some songs, I'll fail others in no-time. But it's SUPER FUN being able to move my body back and forth across the panels! Maybe I'll be able to clear doubles Max 300 by the end of 2019!

Yeah, once you get into doubles it's so much fun because it's so much more active than singles. That's also sort of why I prefer Pump to DDR these days; Pump singles requires more body movement than DDR because of the arrow arrangement, and the doubles are inherently no cost over singles (it's a selectable step chart on singles) and flow better (because of the arrow arrangement again). Max 300 doubles is an easier step chart than singles because it's really just a bunch of fast quarters across the pads; it's not like the eight note runs of the singles track.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:53 pm

pierrot wrote:
Nemoide wrote:The first month or two was the worst because I had trouble with even clearing level 10 songs on the new scale (maybe level 7s on the old scale, my old "easy warmup" level)[...]

That sounds like about where I'd be at. :lol: Man, that Round 1 in Taunton is basically two hours from me. Why couldn't it be on the north shore, or something? I was at Fun Spot a couple weekends ago, and I couldn't really remember if they had had a DDR machine there, but if they ever did, it's not there now. :( (The original TMNT Arcade game was gone, though, and I was pretty distraught about that.)

Have you always had a Cobalt Flux, or was that something you got on this DDR kick? I was looking at those newer custom mats that sort of resemble Cobalt Fluxes, but it would be really tough for me to rationalize that investment in terms of money, or space.

So, is there any reason, other than just an additional challenge, that the goal is 3x speed? Why not higher? It seems a little arbitrary, but personally, even just a minor increase in speed has always made the game practically unplayable for me.

I'm in Rhode Island, Arcades are opening left and right in Providence.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:11 pm

have you guys read about Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox One? It's now backwards compatible, but what's interesting is that it downloads some new assets, so it apparently looks way better than the original release. I don't really follow the ultra-technical details, but it sounds like a cool precedent.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:02 pm

noiseredux wrote:have you guys read about Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox One? It's now backwards compatible, but what's interesting is that it downloads some new assets, so it apparently looks way better than the original release. I don't really follow the ultra-technical details, but it sounds like a cool precedent.

Yeah, I'm pretty interested in checking it out just to see it. Here's an article for those that didn't see it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurna ... ility/amp/
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
marurun

by marurun Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:16 pm

The enhanced content only applies to the One X, however. If you have a One or a One S you don't get the new stuff.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:20 pm

marurun wrote:The enhanced content only applies to the One X, however. If you have a One or a One S you don't get the new stuff.

from what I read - that's not true.

Eurogamer:

"Secondly, it's not just Xbox One X owners that benefit here - the same revised assets are used on the standard Xbox One too, providing a big improvement for all users."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... t-analysis
marurun

by marurun Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:30 pm

noiseredux wrote:
marurun wrote:The enhanced content only applies to the One X, however. If you have a One or a One S you don't get the new stuff.

from what I read - that's not true.

Eurogamer:

"Secondly, it's not just Xbox One X owners that benefit here - the same revised assets are used on the standard Xbox One too, providing a big improvement for all users."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... t-analysis

That only applies to the new, higher quality video files, not to any of the rest of the improvements.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:36 pm

marurun wrote:That only applies to the new, higher quality video files, not to any of the rest of the improvements.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. But "new, higher quality videos" seems like new enhanced content to me. :lol: I mean, semantics aside - this game now has new better looking content on Xbox One and S, and even better looking visuals on X. So, on all models of "One" hardware, it's got new improved content of some kind rather than just being the 360 game running in a wrapper untouched. That's interesting to me.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:52 pm

From what I can see, the new/improved assets provided are simply the better FMV files. The other visual improvements are things that the Xbox One X has already been doing with select backwards compatible games such as Fallout 3 and Red Dead Redemption. Digital Foundry had an in depth article about this last year after doing interviews with some of the folks implementing it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:08 pm

Any thoughts on the Ar Tonelico series? Stumbled upon some of the awesome music and visually they look nice.
Return to General Gaming