Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:what the fuck are you two smoking and can i have some

Here... have a switch!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I don't know that I see anything about the PS4 to differentiate it from every major market leader from past generations. PS2, PS1, SNES, NES... Looks pretty similar to me.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Yeah the PS4 has a lot of great games but so did the PS3 and PS2. What does it do better that earns it a place on the best list rather than its predecessors?
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

ESauced wrote:Yeah the PS4 has a lot of great games but so did the PS3 and PS2. What does it do better that earns it a place on the best list rather than its predecessors?

PS2-PS3 have a shit controller and PS3 lacks a few genres that PS4 has and PS2 even back then games were typically blurry in a way that always made me not like PS2 very much. Look at GTAIII or Yakuza and many many more 3rd party games and they had this hideous blurry textures that only started with PS2. DC/Xbox/GC was able to make these really sharp vibrant games that truly clean up well. Even SoTC on PS3 looks like shit due to those bland blurry PS2 assets. PS3 UI is a chore to go back to. PS4 gets a lot of physical smaller games that either just was not there on PS3 or would be only digital then. PS4 has a great controller. PS4 is a just an amazing system for the niche games on disc and in HD. PS4 has the ASL remake and Housemarqes best games on disc! LRG and more! Switch the same thing a lot of these smaller games on physical carts and the types of games it's getting reminds me in many ways of Saturn imports without the need to import. Switch is getting good games that resemble SNES era to Saturn era to modern era. Nintendo's own 1st party is IMO some of their best as they try new things like ARMS which I love as it's just Nintendo saying let's make our own Virtual On. I love VO. Xenoblade 2 is just one of the best RPGs in recent years and Splatoon 2 is just fantastic. SMO is the best Mario game in 20 years. Switch also has a side effect no system has ever done to me before. Maybe it's the amazing controller or simple to use UI or the fact it's also portable and adds more options to be on the go but I kinda like buying digital games on it.Mostly Neo Geo stuff, nothing retail but 8 dollar games mostly.The Switch will have TWO Wonderboy games on a cartridge in 2018! WB is the entire reason I prefer SMS over NES. Switch and PS4 is like crack for me this gen.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

That was very thorough. Thanks. I disagree about the controller though. Honestly I think the PS2 controller is better than PS3 or PS4. The PS3 controller feels like a cheaper PS2 controller and the triggers are horribly uncomfortable. The PS4 controller I just don’t find comfortable. Personally I don’t even love the PS2 controller but if I have to pick a Sony controller I’ll take that; I always felt the controllers were the worst part of a Sony system. For this gen I’ll gladly take an Xbox One controller or a Switch pro controller over the PS4 controller.

I get your point on the rest of your post though, and I could see how I’d agree if I liked the controller more and cared as much about the niche limited run games. I’m very glad those games are getting physical copies but my budget doesn’t have the room for limited run games I could get cheaper digital.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Yeah, I think the controller is WAY better. The online system is a lot more responsive and user friendly. It's also extremely import friendly. Also also - and this is #1 in my list of reasons to love the PS4 - there are a ton of waifu anime games.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Switch-Pro Controller is among my all-time fave controllers.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Japanese devs have outgrown their HD growing pains of adapting from how much they fumbled off and on last gen. They are dominating a lot of the market again. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have reshaped the outlook of the entire industry slowly but surely, gamers are now ready to once again embrace more system heavy games and tutorials are fading out again. Boring cover shooters and clones have completely faded. Indie developers have now become the middle class and are getting more physical releases or attention all across platforms than ever before. Niche' sequels like Nier Automata or Yakuza Zero have suddenly become blockbusters. Monster Hunter World, about as obtuse as it gets in design, is the fastest selling game in Capcom's history, after they successfully retooled Resident Evil and pulled themselves out of a burning fire of mistakes from the last gen. The Doom reboot was mindblowing. Xenoblade 2 is the fastest selling game in the history of Xeno's. In 2017, we got a new Zelda, Mario, and Metroid in the SAME YEAR. Not to mention a beast of a Zelda that took all the risks and completely redefines itself. How about throwing a Crash comeback in the mix or better yet, a surprise 2D Sonic hit that could be THE BEST SONIC GAME EVER MADE?

Look, I get if some here on ol' RB want to stick with the 4bit systems and all, but anyone else who goes beyond that and thinks the PS4 era has been bad... I'm glad I see past that brick Great Wall of Koopa holding you back from the greatness that this current gen has been. What a time to be alive. 2017 was fucking insane and I'm still swimming in gold.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Amen brother! All games are amazing, past present and future, but these last few years have legitimately been the best time to play video games. There is not a single genre uncovered, any style not popular. Everything is awesome.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:Look, I get if some here on ol' RB want to stick with the 4bit systems and all,

What's wrong with enjoying prototype microprocessor-controlled pinball machines from 1974?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.